Menu

Rural living, gravel drive, and receiving packages question

Jennifer132

We are moving to our new home (new build) which is rural and has a 1/4 mile gravel drive. It is off the main highway though. I posted another thread about mailboxes. But I'm wondering, for those who live on long gravel roads, will the mailman, ups, and / or fed ex come up your road to deliver packages? I should say, we are the only house on this gravel road, which is our driveway, so he would only need to drive up it for packages, not for regular mail or as part of his delivery route.

They should bring packages right to your house, unless your driveway is steep and you live in an area with a lot of snow/ice. My mom lives 1/2 mile up a steep hill and UPS will deliver during the spring, summer and fall, but not winter. The propane company will also not trek up there during the winter, so they have to stock up and fill all their tanks before the first snow. I live 10 min away, so she has her packages delivered here.

One thing I would suggest is that you get a wireless driveway alarm.  It is WONDERFUL so that you know when someone is coming up the driveway.  Our current house is set up so that we can't see out the front or to the garage well.  We have a driveway alarm on the house drive and the barn drive so we always know when someone is pulling in.  It is so nice not to miss someone or be shocked by a sudden knock on the door.

• Like 4

Another vote for "yes", they all deliver to the house. Our road is 1/3 of a mile long. UPS and the postman both came to my door with packages just today. Living in the country makes online shopping an even better deal because the drive to buy something is a nuisance. I'm sure rural carriers (of all types) are use to a lot of deliveries down long gravel roads.

When we lived in the country our driveway wasn't nearly as long. UPS and FedEx drove up to the house. The mail carrier would either use a rubberband or plastic bag to hang small packages to the mailbox or post. She only drove up to the house if the package was too big for her other methods to work.

Yes. Our driveway is exactly like this and deliveries are *almost* always to the house. However, in the winter, all bets are off. My fruit delivery froze one year because the UPS would not navigate my driveway in the snow. They stuck it beside a tree stump.

• Like 1

No, my postal carrier won't deliver packages to our doors because it takes her too long.  :confused1:  The carrier is a contractor who delivers mail out of her SUV - with packages on the dashboard, all over the floor, etc. :glare: I live outside of the city limits but my neighborhood is not rural. I can see the freeway from my house. We pay a fee for a locked box in a cluster on our road (there are like 90 boxes in these clusters). There are a total of six package boxes. Four of them have working locks. If the package is small enough to fit in one of those boxes, and there is an empty one, then she will leave it there and maybe it will even be locked. If not, she will try calling my house and I can run across the street (across the street!) to grab the package from her. Otherwise she takes it back to the PO and I have to make a 45 min trip to pick it up. If it doesn't fit in her car, she doesn't even try. If we didn't pay for the cluster box, our other options were to get a PO box at the PO or put up an unsecured mailbox a few streets away where anyone can drive up and rifle through every mailbox.

UPS and FedEx, on the other hand, drive up to my door, no problem.