Menu

If bitten by a cat...

PeacefulChaos

...that isn't ours (know nothing of vaccination history), but no blood, there's no reason to think twice about it, right?

It's probably a stupid question lol... But I'm just not real familiar with animal type stuff like that...

UPDATE:

Never mind! It never even broke the skin! I hadn't even looked at it lol... He walked by and said the cat bit him, then went back outside. That was like 5-10 minutes ago and there's nothing even visible now. :P

• Like 1

I opened my door once, to a cat that was waiting outside the door because it smelled mine on the inside I am guessing. Said cat jumped at my cat and mine jumped back. Unfortunately mine got me instead of the other cat. I knew his vaccinations were up to date, but I still went and got a tetanus and antibiotics. It started swelling and getting very red within an hour, so my cat or no, I didn't mess with it.

We have a cat that is a biter...he bites someone several times a day... often draws blood (but we still love him). Of all the bites we have never had any issues. Thankfully we dont have to worry about rabies in Australia though.

Our cat was a stray in the begining and has had no vaccinations. ...still no issues. I've had cats all my life and never thought worrying about their bites was a 'thing' although I can see the potential for infection I guess.

If it didn't break the skin, no worries.  If it did break the skin, it may get infected. I personally would keep it clean and maybe use neosporin or  whatever you normally use for cuts. Cats do put their teeth on some gross stuff.  But, honestly, I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't call the doc.  Just keep an eye for a day or so.

We have a cat that is a biter...he bites someone several times a day... often draws blood (but we still love him). Of all the bites we have never had any issues. Thankfully we dont have to worry about rabies in Australia though.

Our cat was a stray in the begining and has had no vaccinations. ...still no issues. I've had cats all my life and never thought worrying about their bites was a 'thing' although I can see the potential for infection I guess.

They have a really nasty bacteria in their mouth that can cause a bad infection that could spread to your heart. It doesn't sound like the OP is going to have that problem, but cat bites are bad news.

• Like 3

I've been bitten by my cat and I just clean it well with Betadine and watch it. But when I was bit by a feral kitten (my fault) on a weekend I went to ER. I had two small puncture wounds that were barely visible by the time I was examined. I felt pretty sheepish but they took it very seriously. They had all seen people with very serious infections from cat bites--to the point of needing long term antibiotics delivered via port--so they didn't mess around.

• Like 1

They have a really nasty bacteria in their mouth that can cause a bad infection that could spread to your heart. It doesn't sound like the OP is going to have that problem, but cat bites are bad news.

I agree. We had a cat that bit my mom on the hand. She started antibiotics the next day and still the infection got so bad that she almost had to have her finger amputated. :(

I'd be worried about rabies and infection.  And having an up to date tetanus vaccine.

Info from Mayo Clinic on animal bites

The chances of rabies are very, very slim.  But still something to keep in mind and perhaps get a doctor's opinion about.

When my cat bit me it was a puncture wound and I was told the main issues were tetanus and infection. My tetanus shot was up to date so they just had me soak the wound in disinfectant.

• Like 1

If it didn't puncture the skin it's fine.  I know rabies is more rare these days and treatment probably depends on which state you're in, but when I was a kid my cousin got bitten by a stray cat and had to get the first shot for rabies treatment before they tracked down the stray cat.  It was tested negative, but the her doctor was worried enough about it then.  That was the early 90's.