Menu

Depression/mood stablizer without prescription drugs...

Luanne

A really fresh, potent St John's Wort supplement was recommended for me in place of Zoloft by my midwives. It did the trick, along with heavy B supplementation. I was dealing with fairly severe prenatal depression and have a history of manic depressive cycles and postpartum depression. Good stuff :)

has she been tested for mthf mutation?  it can leave people predisposed toward depression - easy to treat with mthf supplementation. (you can do low dose OTC.  thorne brand. start with 1mg, and you can slowly increase. if she is affected by the mutation, it should help.  if she isn't, it won't hurt her because it's folate.) it can make rx more effective, or even eliminate the need for them.

b-complex - a HIGH QUALITY one- makes an enormous difference.  thorne, pure encapsulations, douglas labs are all excellent and reliable quality brands.  I use emerald laboratories b-healthy (and I noticed an improvement within about 10 days, despite having used a double dose stress-b naturemade for years beforehand. with the NM - I only noticed it was helping when I hadn't taken it for a week or more.)  I also use NOW for a number of supplements.

5-htp

d3 - really does play a role in mood  (reclassified as a hormone.  levels should be bare floor minimum of 30, and better yet, above 50.)

tryptophan - breaks down into 5-htp, and melatonin.  (going directly to 5-htp did more for me than the tryptophan)

for anxiety

l-theanine

GABA

pure encapsulations Ashwagandha has done wonders for dudeling's anxiety.  (PE's is more concentrated than other brands.)

regular exercise

regular sleep

healthy diet  (minimal sugar - even all the "alternatives")

• Like 4

Is this even possible?  My almost 27 year old daughter is struggling with depression and so far the first antidepressant medication didn't work and the second one is having strange side effects. 

Is she seeing a psychiatrist? If not, I highly recommend it. Also, it might take a few tries to find the right fit. 

Is she still within the window for side effects for the medication? A lot of them taper off over two or three weeks. It takes patience. 

• Like 4

How long was she on the first one? Antidepressants take a while to titer up and develop a therapeutic dosing.

And not every med works for every person.  My adult son has taken about 18 months to (we hope, knock wood) become fairly stable on meds - a lot of trial and error along the way.  A couple drugs we knew within days that the side effects were not acceptable, and they were dropped. Otherwise it has taken for most drugs a solid two to three months  before we could tell if they were helping or not. 

Rare, I think, is the person who hits on the best possible med or meds for their condition on the first try.  It is not as if there is a blood test to determine "Oh, patient X would do best on the purple pill, and patient Z would do better on the pink pill", alas.

If side effects are too bad, have her discuss tweaking or changing meds with her doctor.  Do not fiddle with any supplements on your own unless she first discusses it with her doctor. I have also found it helpful to go over stuff with the local pharmacist, who can tell if there are any bad interactions to look for with combinations of pill etc (he had to reassure ds and I when the doctor prescribed a SIXTH medication - turns out it was key to his recovery, as it compensated for the accumulating side effect (insomnia, mind racing) of the other meds.

A prescription drug is something that has been tested extensively before it is allowed to be used by humans.  There are quality controls in place to ensure that the pill you take is actually the medication you need, not diluted or something else. You do NOT have these safeguards in place with OTC non-prescription supplements, alas.

• Like 2

I highly recommend paying the 100 bucks or so for the DNA test (23andMe or Ancestry) to see exactly what mutations are involved before self-treating with B12. It turned out that DS and I both have a set of mutations (in addition to the MTHFR mutations) that mean methylcobalamin is not the right B12 for us, and can make symptoms worse (it did — seriously ramped up the anxiety levels). We take hydroxocobalamin instead.

We both also have a mutation associated with low Vit D, which explains why our D3 levels were practically in single digits despite living the Southwest and getting tons of sunshine year round. Now we take a high-potency supplement from Thorne.

• Like 1

I highly recommend paying the 100 bucks or so for the DNA test (23andMe or Ancestry) to see exactly what mutations are involved before self-treating with B12. It turned out that DS and I both have a set of mutations (in addition to the MTHFR mutations) that mean methylcobalamin is not the right B12 for us, and can make symptoms worse (it did — seriously ramped up the anxiety levels). We take hydroxocobalamin instead.

We both also have a mutation associated with low Vit D, which explains why our D3 levels were practically in single digits despite living the Southwest and getting tons of sunshine year round. Now we take a high-potency supplement from Thorne.

We're waiting for our 23andMe results, how did you get yours analyzed once you received them?