Menu

Best pots for cooking on gas stove?

StaceyinLA

I have a variety from higher end calphalon, scan pan, (a few others) and I died and went to heaven all-clad d5. oh. my. goodness. :001_wub:  :001_wub: :001_wub:  :001_wub:  

the other stuff is roughly the same, varies a bit by thickness of the metal.  I'll take d5 *anyday*!

Depends of the purpose.

Best general use, heavy stainless steel-jacketed French copper-ware is tops, but expensive.

All Clad (and similar) cladded steel is second to heavy copper, and not cheap either.

Cast iron is outstanding for many (but not all) tasks. Very inexpensive, and the best "value." 

Enameled cast iron is outstanding, but tends to be expensive.

Carbon steel/Black Steel/Mineral Steel skillets in a heavy guage are (for me) the great undiscovered secret in cookware. Most people don't know these, except in lighter-weight crepe pans (and woks). They are a lighter than cast iron, which is particularly helpful in larger sizes, but still cook like brutes. Relatively inexpensive.

Plain thin stainless steel stockpots can be valuable if you need to boil up a large volume for water based cooking (like a pasta pot). They are very inexpensive, especially compared to a real "stockpot." No good for general cooking, but great for the purpose.

Bill

• Like 1

I've mostly had kitchens with gas and I use what cookware I can afford. I have a couple all-clad and some old Le Creuset, I also have a no name frying pan I think comes from TJ Max. Gas doesn't require anything special.  I moved from an apt with gas to and apt with electric and back to gas with the same pots and pans. I didn't notice a difference, but I prefer gas.

Best is copper lined with stainless.  If you cook high fat cast iron is a great way to go.  If you cook low fat, there's a new kind of nonstick coating...  ceramic.  I got a single omelette pan from Walmart for $14 that was so great I bought the whole set.  I make perfect omelettes every time now.