Menu

Perseid Shower tonight.

FaithManor

good luck. and have fun.

true to cliché form here (if there is something interesting in the night sky, there will be interference) . . . . we had smoky haze *from California!*.  we even drove to the eastern side of the pass and there was smoky haze.  alas.  we did see some good ones, but not as many if we'd had clear skies.

peak viewing this morning was between 2am - 4am.  not sure what time peak is tomorrow morning.

We watched last night. It was a beautiful, cloudless, moonless sky and very easy to see. I did also watch for a short bit tonight, but saw only two. Last night's viewing was the first my youngest has seen of shooting stars. And he loves astronomy! So that was awesome!

We're drove as far out to the desert as we could tonight and watched for about 45 min. Final result: one really bright one, eight or nine possibly imaginary ones, and a bunch of helicopters and sattelites. 😊 I was a little disappointed, but the kids had fun nonetheless.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd been planning to take the kids stargazing and bought a star atlas which arrived a couple of days ago, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out a good time/place. So yesterday evening I came up with a plan (drive toward C's summer camp location and just park on any side dirt road that seemed like it had a good view without too much light pollution), which is exactly what we did. The kids loved driving in the dark and watching the stars (and the chocolate chip cookies as well). We drove 50 min away (and 50 min back) and only looked at the stars for half an hour or so (around 11:30-ish) because B was cold and not feeling well (he was fine before he went to bed, and it was 65F and he was wearing long fleece pants, a long sleeve shirt and a sweater, so the kiddo must really not have been feeling well - I was fine wearing a t-shirt), but I saw 5 or so good meteors, C saw even more, and B slightly less, plus several either small or imaginary ones, but overall it was a success and both kids were spontaneously thanking me. :)

We saw a very, very bright one around 10pm last night. The three oldest and I woke up about 4:30 this morning and saw several more between 4:30 and 5:15. We live in a city so it was very bright, otherwise I am sure we would have seen more. It was exciting. It reminds me of when I was a teen and my dad would share his night vision goggles for meteor showers. Also, the Hale Bop comet was quite amazing with those goggles!