Menu

3 credit college course = what high school credit?

I am still trying to grasp how this works, so I apologize!  If we use a 3 credit college course what does it equate to in high school credit?  I'm not looking at DE, but just auditing a course with DD.  I was thinking it's half a credit, but it seems I'm finding it listed as a full credit on some threads.  It's usually taught as an 8 week course and students are expected to put in 18 hours "of effort" each week.  

If she took it for three college semester credits, it would generally be one high school credit. Since she is only auditing, is she doing all the same work, at the same grading scale, as the college students? If she's not doing the same wok, it's not the same credit.

• Like 1

If she took it for three college semester credits, it would generally be one high school credit. Since she is only auditing, is she doing all the same work, at the same grading scale, as the college students? If she's not doing the same wok, it's not the same credit.

Yes, all the same work.  She will take exams.

Here was my thought process when it came to assigning high school credit for the classes my daughter took at the community college.

Amongst the first classes my daughter took at the local community college were College Algebra (a five hour class) and Trigonometry (a four hour class). She did these two classes in consecutive quarters as our community college is on the quarter rather than semester system. Had she taken a year long class in Precalculus at home or at the local high school, she would have earned one high school credit. Since the combination of College Algebra and Trigonometry is considered Precalculus (and in fact the text used in both of these classes was Sullivan's Precalculus), I assigned each of these classes one half high school credit. To me, it would have seemed too generous to give two credits for this combination of classes.

On my daughter's transcript, I included this information in the Notes section:

Courses taken at Z Community College (ZCC) as a high school student; 0.50 credit assigned to each 4 or 5 quarter credit class taken at ZCC.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

One high school credit per 3-credit college course is the standard here. 

Precalc was 2 semesters, and I did give just one high school credit total, because that's an obvious one. 

I considered giving just the half-credit for the entry level English composition and French, but dd thought it would look funny to have the classes in a sequence at differing amounts of credit.  

Here was my thought process when it came to assigning high school credit for the classes my daughter took at the community college.

Amongst the first classes my daughter took at the local community college were College Algebra (a five hour class) and Trigonometry (a four hour class). She did these two classes in consecutive quarters as our community college is on the quarter rather than semester system. Had she taken a year long class in Precalculus at home or at the local high school, she would have earned one high school credit. Since the combination of College Algebra and Trigonometry is considered Precalculus (and in fact the text used in both of these classes was Sullivan's Precalculus), I assigned each of these classes one half high school credit. To me, it would have seemed too generous to give two credits for this combination of classes.

On my daughter's transcript, I included this information in the Notes section:

Courses taken at Z Community College (ZCC) as a high school student; 0.50 credit assigned to each 4 or 5 quarter credit class taken at ZCC.

Regards,

Kareni

Even though pre-calculus is typically a one year course in a high school worth one credit, I did give two credits on my transcript for the DE classes (one semester of College Algebra and one of trig).  

1) I asked at the local high school and was told that local Running Start students receive one credit per 3 credit college course, regardless of what the course is.  

2) The College Algebra course was challenging and required a ton of work.  His homework was done through an online program that tracked the time logged in.  He spent about 300 hours on homework and review, plus the class time.

3)  It was a college level treatment of the course, not a remedial level course

4)  I looked at some of the other classes that would have been given one full credit and decided that the math was at least as challenging as what the other classes would have expected.

In the end, there often aren't clear cut rules.  I do think it is important to explain how much credit was granted and to be consistent.  

• Like 1

Even though pre-calculus is typically a one year course in a high school worth one credit, I did give two credits on my transcript for the DE classes (one semester of College Algebra and one of trig).  

1) I asked at the local high school and was told that local Running Start students receive one credit per 3 credit college course, regardless of what the course is.  

Our local state university follows the same pattern of giving one high school credit for each over 100 level college course, so I do understand your reasoning. 

In the end, there often aren't clear cut rules.  I do think it is important to explain how much credit was granted and to be consistent.  

I agree absolutely.

I think we all have to do what seems right for our child(ren)/us.

Regards,

Kareni