Menu

Does anyone know how to make maple syrup...

If so, is it an easy process? I like pure maple syrup, but the price has skyrocketed at Trader Joes so I refuse to buy it anymore. I don't want to go back to those fake syrups with preservatives and ingredients that I can't even pronounce, but I might have to unless I can find an easy maple syrup recipe. Anyone?

Here's how we always have syrup at our house:

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon maple flavoring

heat the sugar and water until it just begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in maple flavoring. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator. Tastes just like store bought brand syrups, althought not quite as good as pure maple syrup.

HTH

Do you have access to maple sap?

Essentially, you tap the trees in late winter/early spring, collect the sap, and then boil it down to the desired thickness. (You need to skim floaties and salt? off the top as it's boiling.)

This is it in a nutshell, but it's a sticky and messy process (pretty easy though). I'm not sure exactly how long it takes, because you keep adding sap and boiling it down. Best done in a sugaring shed with a two or three partitioned pan, but you can do it in the home on the stove, or a kerosene heater or woodstove. Just be prepared to have sugar residue around where you are working. On the plus side - your house smells great!

and yes - for sugar maples it's 40 gallons sap to one gallon syrup. You can also tap other trees like birch or regular maples, but the sap is less sugary and it takes more to make a gallon. I've seen catalogs with equipment (taps and such), and I'm sure you can get step by step instructions online.

You mean like how to tap your own maple trees?

LOL!! No. Not at all. LOL!! I mean using maple extract and sugar and water or something like that. When I was a little girl my mom concocted some stove top syrup whenever we were low on syrup. In fact, why the heck don't I just ask her about this? Duhhhhh! :p

It is easy to tap the trees (and inexpensive to buy the taps, buckets, tubing) but it is not so easy to boil the sap down to syrup. You can not do it inside your house and all this must be done only in one short month of the year. That is usually March in my area. You can start tapping your maple trees when the overnight temperatures are below freezing and the day time temps are in the upper 40's to upper 50's. I get about 5 gallons of sap per tap from a tree that is about 2 feet in circumference and I tap that tree with 3 taps, leading to 3 (5 gallon) buckets.

I start a big fire in our fire pit (just bricks in our yard) and an outdoor fire grate and a big pot. Shallower "hotel pans" work best because evaporation is quicker. I'd like to try a propane turkey fryer, I hear that's a great way to evaporate the sap. If you do this on your stove inside your walls and ceiling in your house will be covered with sticky sap!

It is quite involved but not difficult and kind of fun. 40 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup is about right. Once the temps are not freezing at night, the sap will be flowing but have too little sugar and the quality of the syrup (if you even get any) would be poor.

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

heat the sugar and water until it just begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in maple flavoring. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator. Tastes just like store bought brand syrups, althought not quite as good as pure maple syrup.

HTH

Okay. Well there you go! I won't have to ask my mom afterall! Thanks a bunch!

Dh has done it a few years.When he was a kid he did it over a wood fire in the woods and said he'd be outside all day almost every day doing it.I've watched and helped minimally when he's done it on our woodstove and on a propane cooker.He was able to cook more on the propane cooker because you can get it hotter than a woodstove.On the woodstove he has to use a shallower pan and watch it closely to make sure it doesn't burn as it is finishing.He only made about a gallon this year on the woodstove but he's made a couple of gallons a year when he's used the propane cooker.Of course, using a propane cooker means being outside in the weather.Late winter/early spring is the time of year to make syrup.Carrie's son is right;it takes alot of sap to make one gallon of syrup.Oh, and boiling sap puts alot of moisture into the air so it really isn't recommended that you do it inside in large batches.

LOL!! No. Not at all. LOL!! I mean using maple extract and sugar and water or something like that. When I was a little girl my mom concocted some stove top syrup whenever we were low on syrup. In fact, why the heck don't I just ask her about this? Duhhhhh! :p

Okay, lol, I thought you were asking how to make "maple syrup", not how to make "maple-flavored syrup". ;)

It is easy to tap the trees (and inexpensive to buy the taps, buckets, tubing) but it is not so easy to boil the sap down to syrup. You can not do it inside your house and all this must be done only in one short month of the year. That is usually March in my area. You can start tapping your maple trees when the overnight temperatures are below freezing and the day time temps are in the upper 40's to upper 50's. I get about 5 gallons of sap per tap from a tree that is about 2 feet in circumference and I tap that tree with 3 taps, leading to 3 (5 gallon) buckets.

I start a big fire in our fire pit (just bricks in our yard) and an outdoor fire grate and a big pot. Shallower "hotel pans" work best because evaporation is quicker. I'd like to try a propane turkey fryer, I hear that's a great way to evaporate the sap. If you do this on your stove inside your walls and ceiling in your house will be covered with sticky sap!

It is quite involved but not difficult and kind of fun. 40 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup is about right. Once the temps are not freezing at night, the sap will be flowing but have too little sugar and the quality of the syrup (if you even get any) would be poor.

My kids did this in their K class at school. The resulting syrup isn't of the highest quality :lol: but they sure had fun.

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

HTH

This what we do except I use 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar.

2 Cups sugar

1 c water

2-3 T corn syrup

2-3 T brown sugar

Stir that just until it's mixed up. Heat it. When it boils, turn it down to simmer and cover it. Cook it for 10 minutes. Add maple flavor (I never measure) and some vanilla (again...). It's not the real thing but my kids won't touch the grocery store stuff now because this is so much better.

Teresa