Menu

DMV won't accept my transcripts.

Doesn't matter if the transcript says it's "Official'. Doesn't matter if it's notarized. Doesn't matter if it's got the right wording saying I certify it's official. Doesn't matter that two colleges accepted our daughter's similar transcript as official. They won't accept my homeschool transcripts as a form of id for my boys to get their driver's permits.

The lady asked, "Well you have to have some sort of approval from the state to homeschool, right?" No, in Minnesota, we do not. We only have to send in a letter of intent. "Well, you must turn in grades somewhere?" No, in MN, if I have a bachelor's degree, I do not have to turn in grades. "Well, someone must approve your curriculum." No, no one approves our curriculum.

Any ideas?

I can't find their SS cards and the ironic thing is, to get SS cards replaced, I need two forms of id and one form they'll accept is a driver's permit or license which I can't get because they don't have their SS card!

Transcripts were not an approved form of identification here. We had to have an original birth certificate and a Social Security card. Which meant going FIRST to a local federal gov't office to order an original birth certificate, which meant standing in a line all morning, and once ordered, it took a few weeks to get mailed to us… So the entire process for getting a learner's permit to drive took multiple official office visits and about 4-6 weeks to accomplish. But, what worked in my state is really meaningless for your different state. ;)

Here's where you go in MN if you end up needing an original birth certificate. And here's the link to the MN DMV Identification Requirements which lists what types of IDs are accepted in MN. It looks like you need 1 each of a primary and a secondary form of ID:

MN DMV primary forms of ID:

- birth certificate

- adoption certificate

- passport

- MN tribal ID card

- US Military ID card

MN DMV secondary forms of ID:

- a second primary form of ID

- a state-issued ID or driver's license (from a different state)

- Social Sec. card

- certified secondary or post-secondary transcript containing full legal name and date of birth

- current secondary school photo ID card with student's name, photo, date of birth and other unique form of ID #, and current academic school year or issue date must be printed on the ID (not hand-written)

And here's the link to the page of info for new drivers getting a MN Driver's License.

You might make your own extremely official looking, printed and with a photo, laminated school ID. It looks like that and an original birth certificate would do it. Check out what the local high school IDs look like and reproduce that; be sure to name your school with a legit-sounding school name, and don't use "homeschool" or "home educated" in the school name.

If you end up needing to get a new/replacement Soc. Security card, it looks like you'll need a school ID -- or a doctor/clinic/medical record -- along with an original birth certificate.

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

• Like 3

Could you try a different DMV?

Otherwise maybe work on getting the replacement social security card. It looks like for SS you could use a health insurance form as the second id. And I assume that would be cheaper than getting a passport. Of course if they have passports, that's your best bet. We have always kept current passports, partly for situations like this. A passport always works.

• Like 1

If transcripts are a valid form of id for public school students, then I'd call HSLDA and ask if it's discriminating against you if they won't take your transcript as well. I'd make it say "Official", true and valid and signed by "principal"/parent and have it notarized.

Sounds like you need to start the process of getting a new SS card - hopefully you don't have to wait to have it in hand before getting a permit. (A passport is probably just as hard to get without multiple ids).

• Like 1

I think the health insurance card for new SS cards is our only option. We evidently need new SS cards, but I had really hoped there would be a way to use our transcripts. We do not have passports, we are not members of HSLDA, it doesn't say anywhere that we can use our own id, if they are minors, etc.  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and help. Lori D., you especially took a lot of time! Bless your heart!

• Like 1

I think the health insurance card for new SS cards is our only option. We evidently need new SS cards, but I had really hoped there would be a way to use our transcripts. We do not have passports, we are not members of HSLDA, it doesn't say anywhere that we can use our own id, if they are minors, etc.  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and help. Lori D., you especially took a lot of time! Bless your heart!

Hmmm… Guess I was thinking since you are homeschooling legally and in accordance to your state regulations, you are able to issue your own school ID, or present a certified transcript, which would be just as valid as the school ID or certified transcript students have from public/private schools...

Anyways, you are most welcome, and BEST of luck for smoothly/easily getting the paperwork you need to move forward in this process. :) Warmly, Lori D.

Jeanne,

sorry the transcript thing is frustrating.  hopefully knowing that a little bit of time right now on the SS replacement cards will have good benefits for the kids is some comfort for it.  I've had to show my card a few times in my adult life for employment papers.  It wasn't just enough knowing the number. some form out there.  ((hugs)) for the frustration of paperwork.

Even though it's an extra cost, I'd also look into passports.  But I'd wait until they are 16 for that (if you're deciding between age 15 and 16 and aren't planning on a trip soon).  At age 15, a passport is for 5 years.  At age 16, go for 10 years.. Also if you apply at age 16 only one parent has to be there in person.  below age 16 either both are there, or you have to do extra paperwork.   And also, if you get passport issued at age 16 or higher, the renewal can be done by mail instead of in person.   But it's a good form of ID to have.

I imagine most homeschoolers just use their SS card and that's that. but that's speculation on my part.  (edit to add:  I can understand the state's point of view that this kind of certification is not in the spirit of what they accept as outsider proof of identity before issuing official state ID..)

ps:  if you also get passports, places like walgreen and cvs pharmacies often have that available for you. easy to get that photo.  and be ready to make appointment at Post Office.)

Doesn't matter if the transcript says it's "Official'. Doesn't matter if it's notarized. Doesn't matter if it's got the right wording saying I certify it's official. Doesn't matter that two colleges accepted our daughter's similar transcript as official. They won't accept my homeschool transcripts as a form of id for my boys to get their driver's permits.

The lady asked, "Well you have to have some sort of approval from the state to homeschool, right?" No, in Minnesota, we do not. We only have to send in a letter of intent. "Well, you must turn in grades somewhere?" No, in MN, if I have a bachelor's degree, I do not have to turn in grades. "Well, someone must approve your curriculum." No, no one approves our curriculum.

Any ideas?

I can't find their SS cards and the ironic thing is, to get SS cards replaced, I need two forms of id and one form they'll accept is a driver's permit or license which I can't get because they don't have their SS card!

Is it possible to get a letter, on official letterhead of course,  from whomever you submitted the letter of intent with the simple statement "Jeanne in MN has met all requirements necessary to homeschool <student's name> in the state of MN." I'm sure they have a rubberstamp for something like that.

Also, it may just be as simple as going back and working with a different clerk or demanding to speak to supervisors. Printouts of the state requirements might prove helpful as well.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think tipped them off that it was a homeschooling transcript?  Was it something unavoidable, or could you approach things differently with another clerk and potentially have it go through?

(Back in the day, the idea was to make it "official looking" enough that it didn't occur to red tape types that it wasn't an ordinary school transcript.  Thus the advice discussed in a previous thread re making your homeschool name able to "pass" as an ordinary school.  Passing doesn't excuse the fact that there's an issue in the first place, of course.)

I would consider calling the state to ask about the official policy.

• Like 1

I would get that social security card. 

Ensure your kids have adequate IDs now, while they are still minors and you are a parent with your ID & your name on their birth certificate.  Believe me, it all just becomes more difficult once they reach adulthood without enough identification (it took months for my dd to get her driver's license at age 18 because of her lack of ID, and at one point they said we would have to go to our state representative).  It's a pain, but on the other hand, IDs provide no security if the requirements for obtaining them can be easily bypassed.

More and more things require identification these days.  It's something important to do for your kids. I even ordered those homeschool photo ID cards (one with a date and a unique number), which seem silly but sometimes a "school ID" was required for things (or gave us lower prices on things). 

A passport is expensive (mine was around $150, kids are a little less), and a social security card may take more time at the SS office but it's free.

Julie (in MN)

• Like 4

I guess I don't know why you don't just get the SS cards replaced.  You need to establish citizenship with a birth certificate (if it hasn't already been established, which it might have been since they had SS cards at some point) and that "the child continues to exist," which is odd wording to be sure, but does not require a state-issued ID.  Among other things, it says that a doctor's record would work.

• Like 1

I imagine it is for the reason that the school would have vetted identity making the transcript a useful ID.

However, this may be something you want to ask of HSLDA. Sometimes, as homeschoolers, we need to be treated exactly the same. But sometimes, we don't. I would be curious of what HSLDA would say.

I would to ahead and replace their SS cards. They may need them sooner or later anyway.

I would just replace the SS cards or get passports made.  Here the YMCA issues membership photo IDs but club ids are not in the list Lori listed.   Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think tipped them off that it was a homeschooling transcript?  

It could be the school address.  Here it is common for schools to issue transcripts with the address and telephone number just below the school name.

It's the dang "blue card" that I am having trouble getting for my daughter. I have the verification from the state that says she completed the 30 hours of driver , but I am having a hard time finding anyone up here who will do the REQUIRED by law 6 hours of behind the wheel. 

I'm with the others who are saying it is probably easiest and most efficient to get the social security cards replaced.

Sorry for the frustration. I would definitely contact HSLDA, but I get annoyed with bureaucrats who over-step their authority and don't really know the laws they are quoting.

Good luck!

Hmmm… Guess I was thinking since you are homeschooling legally and in accordance to your state regulations, you are able to issue your own school ID, or present a certified transcript, which would be just as valid as the school ID or certified transcript students have from public/private schools...

Anyways, you are most welcome, and BEST of luck for smoothly/easily getting the paperwork you need to move forward in this process. :) Warmly, Lori D.

I really thought so too! And perhaps I could have tried to educate them and put a little pressure on them, but I ended up finding the SS cards. Yay!  Thanks again, Lori.

• Like 5

Just out of curiosity, what do you think tipped them off that it was a homeschooling transcript?  Was it something unavoidable, or could you approach things differently with another clerk and potentially have it go through?

(Back in the day, the idea was to make it "official looking" enough that it didn't occur to red tape types that it wasn't an ordinary school transcript.  Thus the advice discussed in a previous thread re making your homeschool name able to "pass" as an ordinary school.  Passing doesn't excuse the fact that there's an issue in the first place, of course.)

I would consider calling the state to ask about the official policy.

I told her I couldn't find our SS cards, but had our homeschooling transcripts. She said it wasn't, "certified". I did a lot of research on these boards to determine what would make it look certified. I called and asked if having it notarized (what I thought would be the biggest advantage to making it look official) would work and she said, "no." She tried to be helpful, but I think she was just clueless to how homeschooling works in MN.

I DID find the SS cards finally! Two days ago, so I let this go, but I do wonder about doing/saying something to educate them in case another hser comes down the road in the same boat.

• Like 2

Is it possible to get a letter, on official letterhead of course,  from whomever you submitted the letter of intent with the simple statement "Jeanne in MN has met all requirements necessary to homeschool <student's name> in the state of MN." I'm sure they have a rubberstamp for something like that.

Also, it may just be as simple as going back and working with a different clerk or demanding to speak to supervisors. Printouts of the state requirements might prove helpful as well.

I actually found the SS cards! Whew!, but I like your idea of printing out the state requirements if I was to pursue the transcripts.:)

• Like 1

I guess I don't know why you don't just get the SS cards replaced.  You need to establish citizenship with a birth certificate (if it hasn't already been established, which it might have been since they had SS cards at some point) and that "the child continues to exist," which is odd wording to be sure, but does not require a state-issued ID.  Among other things, it says that a doctor's record would work.

I knew the SS cards were around here somewhere-I'd seen them within the past six months. Since school transcripts were an acceptable form of id and I already had them, I thought that would be the easiest route. But you are right, health records would work and I was prepared to do that next. I was making plans to gather info. and go to the nearest SSA office. But I found the buggers first! :)

• Like 2

It's the dang "blue card" that I am having trouble getting for my daughter. I have the verification from the state that says she completed the 30 hours of driver , but I am having a hard time finding anyone up here who will do the REQUIRED by law 6 hours of behind the wheel. 

I'm with the others who are saying it is probably easiest and most efficient to get the social security cards replaced.

Sorry for the frustration. I would definitely contact HSLDA, but I get annoyed with bureaucrats who over-step their authority and don't really know the laws they are quoting.

Good luck!

I'm sure you've looked into it already, but did you contact the school about getting behind the wheel training? Our local community ed. office has that information. But maybe it's handled differently in different parts of MN?

And the blue card is what they receive after taking the class time (which it appears your daughter did) and after passing the written/computerized test. Then you get the blue card to take to the licensing center to get the driver's permit. At least that's been our experience here in this part of the state.

Best of luck to you too!

• Like 1

I knew the SS cards were around here somewhere-I'd seen them within the past six months. Since school transcripts were an acceptable form of id and I already had them, I thought that would be the easiest route. But you are right, health records would work and I was prepared to do that next. I was making plans to gather info. and go to the nearest SSA office. But I found the buggers first! :)

Glad you found them.  I remember those headaches.

But I really don't think this is a homeschooling issue.  It's not even a driving issue.  It's a state-issued identification card (even a permit is a MN ID).  And even though I'm pro homeschoolers' rights, I am not in favor of states issuing identification cards based on a home typed piece of paper (notarized or not) and a birth certificate, which anyone can purchase (I've ordered copies by mail).  An ID card is a much bigger issue than getting into college.

Julie   

• Like 3

I told her I couldn't find our SS cards, but had our homeschooling transcripts. She said it wasn't, "certified". I did a lot of research on these boards to determine what would make it look certified. I called and asked if having it notarized (what I thought would be the biggest advantage to making it look official) would work and she said, "no." She tried to be helpful, but I think she was just clueless to how homeschooling works in MN.

I DID find the SS cards finally! Two days ago, so I let this go, but I do wonder about doing/saying something to educate them in case another hser comes down the road in the same boat.

yeah, you found ss cards.  that should make it easy now.    oh, random on the passport thing.. I freaked out a bit when one of the places I mentioned for photos was in the news this week about issues with their computers.  but the random thing is: make sure your birth certificates follow the full name rule.  check passport info on that.   We had to get our reissued b/c when the kids were born it only listed our first and last names.  apparently we need our (parents) middle name on there.   It was an easy matter to deal with however.  a few more dollars, and fill out a form.  called the local department back in the city where they were born.  it was a small thing on a to do list. very easy.

anyway,

if you do say something about it, in my opinion it is more likely your actions will help to correct the confusion or clarify that transcripts have to be from outside source.  The purpose is to verify the identity of the individual, not to certify their school work.  even if you contact hslda, they might be told thanks for finding the error on our site.   In other words, I don't think this is a homeschool concern. it's the times we live in with gov't id and security issues.  right.  kwim?  good.

If it makes you feel any better, in my state, we can use Bank Statements to verify address (therefore a proof of secondary identity) when getting state issued id. But if those bank statements are printed from home (because of course we don't pay for printed statements to be mailed), you have to get the bank teller to stamp and sign it it legit account. otherwise, it's just a piece of paper that I printed at home.  I was really glad the home statement showed it from the bank's URL along with the stamping I had to get from the bank.

anyway, glad you found the cards and getting the driving stuff.  :)

Glad you found your SS cards!  I wanted to mention that there have been a number of times when official-looking forms that I have simply printed off the internet and filled out have been acceptable in different situations.  So in that case, I probably would have tried downloading those State of MN forms that you're required to fill out each year, fill them out again, and then bring those in along with your transcript.  The DMV maybe wouldn't understand exactly what they were, but at least would see that you had some kind of official form accompanying the transcript.

Glad you found them!

Personally, I think fighting to have a home transcript accepted defeats the intent of ID for these purposes.  "Official" documents for confirming identity should come from an outside source that confirms identity.  They're not judging anyone's academic career, they're trying to make sure they're giving THEIR legal document to the right person.  Between identity theft, terrorism, kidnappings/custody, and whatever latest scams there are out there, home-processed identification should not be acceptable.  We're not talking about trying to get a discount at the bookstore here.

• Like 2