Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW27: Jubilant July

Robin M

I read The Stranger by Harlan Cobenhttps://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/harlan-coben/the-stranger-coben/with mixed feelings. This one was not his best imo but improved as the book went along. A bit scattered at the start. This is a stand alone and did really bring home the reality that there is no such thing as secure when dealing with the internet.

When hunting for a review I discovered that one of his books (Six Weeks, I think) is being made into a movie and there is speculation that this one might be next. It would probably work really well as a movie which makes me wonder if Coben has started writing a bit more with movies in mind. Maybe that is why I didn't totally connect with this current book, I wasn't cheering the main character on from page one like normal. The man clearly had problems but I wasn't sure I cared. I used to read his books in one sitting and didn't mind interruptions this time. Two days was fine.

• Like 3

Follow me dear and take a breath, now another.  :lol:    Me I'd start with Here There Be Dragons, which I just happen to have in my stacks. :)

My goodness, this sucker is just chock full of literary allusions, isn't it? It's kind of fun.  Although I keep thinking of SWB saying be sure not to teach kids literary analysis in a way that makes them think books are puzzles to be solved.  I agree, in general - but in this case, it kind of is a big puzzle! 

I'm noticing a *lot* of similarities with The Chronicles of Prydain, and wondering how many are intentional.

• Like 7

Regarding Lora Leigh's Bengal's Quest:

I didn't know there was another book out. Have read the whole series but it's been a while. Just pleasant?  That doesn't sound good.  Worth reading or will I be totally confused?

I also have read the whole series.   I don't think you'll be totally confused, but there is a continuing story line and my admittedly poor memory recalled only the vaguest details of it.  Pondering my thoughts about the book -- the earlier books were able to focus more on the relationship of the hero and heroine because they were less concerned with carrying a story on from volume to volume. 

In contrast, I think about J. D. Robb's books where it is the characters who continue from volume to volume but the storyline (i.e., case to be solved) is different in each volume.  I guess that's not a fair comparison, since it has the same main characters in each story.  Thea Harrison's Elder Races series has a different couple in each book, but there is a story that has carried through over some six or so volumes.  I clearly favor some of those books more than others.  Perhaps the couple in Bengal's Quest just didn't resonate with me.  (Have I blathered on sufficiently?)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Oops! I forgot to acknowledge Rose as another who is hanging in there with HoMW. So brava to you too, my dear!

I'm still going, but I'm hanging way behind you.

Terry Pratchett has seemed more attractive...

(Reading 'Unseen Academicals' atm.)

• Like 8

Today I read Cora Carmack's All Played Out: A Rusk University Novel; this is book three in this new adult series.  I'd read book one yesterday, and I followed along quite well.  I'm still looking forward to reading book two.

"In the third book in New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Cora Carmack’s Rusk University series, a good girl is about to find out what happens when she creates the ultimate college bucket list and she sets her sights on a jock.

First person in her family to go to college? CHECK.

Straight A’s? CHECK.

On track to graduate early? CHECK.

Social life? …..yeah, about that….

With just a few weeks until she graduates, Antonella DeLuca’s beginning to worry that maybe she hasn’t had the full college experience. (Okay... Scratch that. She knows she hasn't had the full college experience). 

So Nell does what a smart, dedicated girl like herself does best. She makes a "to do" list of normal college activities.

Item #1? Hook up with a jock.

Rusk University wide receiver Mateo Torres practically wrote the playbook for normal college living. When he’s not on the field, he excels at partying, girls, and more partying. As long as he keeps things light and easy, it's impossible to get hurt... again. But something about the quiet, shy, sexy-as-hell Nell gets under his skin, and when he learns about her list, he makes it his mission to help her complete it.

Torres is the definition of confident (And sexy. And wild), and he opens up a side of Nell that she's never known.  But as they begin to check off each crazy, exciting, normal item, Nell finds that her frivolous list leads to something more serious than she bargained for. And while Torres is used to taking risks on the field, he has to decide if he's willing to take the chance when it's more than just a game. 

Together they will have to decide if what they have is just part of the experiment or a chance at something real."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Here's something entertaining ~

Extremely Accurate Charts for Book Nerds

I'm guessing we can all identify with at least some of these charts.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh, Kareni, as always, thank you for all the wonderful links!  These hit a little close to home!

Oh my gosh, I just went to the library, and all the things I've been putting on hold, willy-nilly, for the last few weeks arrived, all at once.  I sit here surrounded by a murder of books.  Let's see, shall I start with Set This House in Order, recommended by Eliana? Or The Best of All Possible Worlds or ®evolution, from one of Kareni's great posted lists? Or Flash Forward, Timeline, Replay, Time and Again, Jumper, which Kareni suggested when I asked for Time Travel books?  Or Remarkable Creatures, from our author flavor of the month? Or Here There Be Dragons which my dd is bugging me to read?  

I'm overwhelmed with great choices!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Oh, what a fantastic problem to have!!!!!!  You now have an excuse to put everything else on hold and read, so all the books can get returned on time!

Well, this little introvert is staying home today and reading a book. I've had house guests all week, spent Wednesday at Disneyland, all day Thursday at Comic-con, and just couldn't face more people today! 

Comic-con is a whole lot of fun, but it is wall to wall people and wall to wall advertisements with nowhere quiet to escape. The trolleys are packed (and wrapped in advertisements), and parking your car downtown is no better -- you are likely to get trapped in the zombie walk! 

I'm missing a panel on the science of HP Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness, but that's a price I'm willing to pay today!

That's why this fellow introvert does not go with everyone else, and doesn't even go downtown while it is here!  It would be fun, but too much!  Hope you enjoyed, and are enjoying the quiet now!

• Like 5

I read The Stranger by Harlan Cobenhttps://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/harlan-coben/the-stranger-coben/with mixed feelings. This one was not his best imo but improved as the book went along. A bit scattered at the start. This is a stand alone and did really bring home the reality that there is no such thing as secure when dealing with the internet.

When hunting for a review I discovered that one of his books (Six Weeks, I think) is being made into a movie and there is speculation that this one might be next. It would probably work really well as a movie which makes me wonder if Coben has started writing a bit more with movies in mind. Maybe that is why I didn't totally connect with this current book, I wasn't cheering the main character on from page one like normal. The man clearly had problems but I wasn't sure I cared. I used to read his books in one sitting and didn't mind interruptions this time. Two days was fine.

I've read all of the Myron Bolitar books and the first MIckey Bolitar, but have never read any of his stand-alone novels. This makes me think that if I do read any stand alones, I should go for the older ones.

• Like 4

I just saw a very favorable mention of this book that is currently free to Kindle readers.  Perhaps it will interest some here ~

Changes (The Magic Jukebox Book 1) by Judith Arnold

"The Magic Jukebox sits in the Faulk Street Tavern in the quiet seaside town of Brogan’s Point, Massachusetts. No one knows what classic rock songs will come out of the jukebox when a coin is inserted, but every now and then, the jukebox will play a song that casts a spell on two bar patrons—a song that will change their lives and open their hearts to love.

Antiques dealer Diana Simms is engaged to her longtime boyfriend when she finds herself inside the Faulk Street Tavern. The song “Changes†emerges from the jukebox and enchants her. It also captivates Nick Fiore, a local guy who’s arrived at adulthood the hard way, after a tour through the juvenile justice system. Now he’s dedicated his life to helping other troubled kids. He has no business even looking at a beautiful, well-bred woman wearing a diamond engagement ring. But once they’re bewitched by the jukebox, he and Diana must change their lives, their goals, their dreams…and their hearts."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Packing for a camping trip; finished listening to Great Expectations.  Now there is a nice story.  Dickens had something going on, didn't he? I appreciate the satire more and more in my old age.  The audio book was fantastic, I think I posted before at how well the reader did all the different accents.  It really added so much to my enjoyment of the story.

You must mean the audiobook read by Martin Jarvis. We borrowed this (on tape, I think!) from our library long ago (5-8 years ago) and loved it. You're right; I can't imagine the book anymore without Mr Jarvis's wonderful voices. I still hear, in my head, the "Aged P." saying "Alllll right, John!" cheerfully; Mr Jaggers saying, over and over, "in Neeew South Wales" ... among many other delightful moments.

• Like 5

Hi ladies,

It's the first day of our summer break here (finally! Let's just say that reading on this forum with everyone on break since May is not exactly helpful for a strong end of the schoolyear :D) and I hope I will be able to post on this thread again.

I'm still reading HoMA, chapter 40.

I'm also reading Robinson Crusoe, so that's good for Jane and VC's 18th century novelist plan :).

I'm looking forward to six summer weeks of READING!

Do you have 'plans' for your summerreading?

Just want to know if I can do some shameless copying ;)

Or that we can switch some books :)

• Like 5

I've read all of the Myron Bolitar books and the first MIckey Bolitar, but have never read any of his stand-alone novels. This makes me think that if I do read any stand alones, I should go for the older ones.

I think I have read all of his books except for the last Mickey Bolitar's. The first stand alone books were definitely better. I reread Tell No One last year because Stacia wanted to know how it compared to a movie version made in French that moved the book's location to France. I loved both.

I seem to be experiencing author burn out for lack of a better description with some of my series writing favourites. It made me a bit sad to give up on my last James Patterson series lately. I was 20 percent into the book and the thought " do I even care?" Came to mind, Stopped reading. I read all of his for years, then selected series and co authors, now none.

• Like 5

You must mean the audiobook read by Martin Jarvis. We borrowed this (on tape, I think!) from our library long ago (5-8 years ago) and loved it. You're right; I can't imagine the book anymore without Mr Jarvis's wonderful voices. I still hear, in my head, the "Aged P." saying "Alllll right, John!" cheerfully; Mr Jaggers saying, over and over, "in Neeew South Wales" ... among many other delightful moments.

Actually, this one was the free In Sync audio book from earlier this summer, narrated by Anton Lesser.  But, the very same lines are super memorable for this one, too! Now I'm intrigued and I will have to check out the Jarvis version. 

I'm thinking this might be the way to get the kids into Dickens - one you hear the voices in your head, it never leaves you, does it?

The In Sync book that was paired with Great Expectations this year was Terry Pratchett's Dodger. I started listening to it yesterday, and love it! It's narrated by Stephen Briggs, who does an amazing job, and what a very clever book! I had to keep pausing and repeating funny lines out the window to dh.  

• Like 5