Menu

Exercise Thread ~ July 5th - July 11th

Negin

I got in some awesome ladies doubles tennis this afternoon. Also a couple walks with the dogs and a bike ride to and from the tennis courts.  I think I transfered about 2 pounds of sweat from my body to my clothing! It was HOT and humid (at least for my standards).  I won't go into details because it may cause some of you to laugh. ;)

• Like 4

I started a new boot camp class after doing TRX for the last 8 months.  It's m/w/f at 6am.  I really enjoyed being finished with exercise by 7am.  My old class was at 9:15 so I feel like I've gained a couple of hours.  The only tricky part was getting up early enough to have time to get dh's lunch ready before I left.  

I want to run a few times this week, too.  I started C25k a couple of weeks ago, but only did the first and second runs.  I might try the third one tomorrow.

• Like 6

I think I'm taking it easy today in preparation for the next 2 days where I have 2 big exercise days in a row- both 90 min classes which are big challenges (and I'm considering adding in some climbing as well.....), hopefully a little walk but the day is going to be busy.

• Like 4

I spent last week partying with the family and oldest dd who came home to visit. I did run and yoga some but mostly we ate fair food and s'mores 😦. I'm feeling pretty rough. Too much junk and I reinsured my back somewhere along the way too. I'm taking the three youngest camping the next two days. Feeling like it's all good fun but slightly out of control. But that's summer, right.

• Like 6

I was diagnosed with a strained lumbar and referred to a chiropractor. I've been doing yoga everyday for about a week and am feeling much better. I will start P90X in a few weeks because it's the only workout I've ever done that has strengthened my lower back (and ankles). Can someone link that free 20 minutes of Yoga For Runners? My husband thought he downloaded it, but we can't find it. Did someone recommend it or just share it because it was there?

• Like 3

I used to do them a lot.  There are a handful of freebie ones I like and  as they are only about 20 min long it's easy to insert them into a day without too much trouble.  Frequent short practice is better than no practice and sometimes psyching myself up for a 60+min yoga session sounds dreadful.

Here's a couple I liked:

Lunar flow

Core

HIp opening

It's been a long time though. I don't do yoga really anymore.

• Like 2

slache- sorry to hear about your injury :( 

joyofsix- sounds like you are having fun at least, well except the back :(

Yesterday was a playground workout for me :) It was so stinkin' humid but I managed to climb the pole (last time I almost entirely used my feet and this time was a lot of my arms pulling me up), practiced pull-ups, monkey bars (forward and backwards) and playing on the bars. Oh, and I practiced headstands in the grass :)

Today is aerial silks class and strengthening 1.5 hrs. Nervous but excited.

• Like 4

Yesterday was a playground workout for me :) It was so stinkin' humid but I managed to climb the pole (last time I almost entirely used my feet and this time was a lot of my arms pulling me up), practiced pull-ups, monkey bars (forward and backwards) and playing on the bars. Oh, and I practiced headstands in the grass :)

Today is aerial silks class and strengthening 1.5 hrs. Nervous but excited.

Oh my!  When ever I get a little giddy and play on monkey bars it always hurts like the dickens afterwards. You are a brave warrior!

The aerial silks class sounds cool. How high off the ground will you be? 

• Like 1

4 mile run this morning. Yesterday's run felt decent, not easy, but I could do it.  Today was a very hard run.  I had to stop mid run and change my run/walk time to 3/1 instead of 6/1.  I told myself that it would probably take till the end of July till I got back to feeling like I could run again, but it's been 4 weeks and I'm not seeing much improvement and because I've been so busy and short on time I've not been practicing yoga, and I miss it a lot.

Blah.  I feel very whiny.  

The organization my dh works for needs a CFO. It's not hard work, and I know I could do it.  I want the job badly.  I don't know if I'm just wanting a change or what, but I so want it.  But I can't handle a full time job right now.  I still have 3 kids I homeschool and run around. It's the running around that's an issue.  Twice a week during the school year we go to town (an hour away) all day.  Monday's are till 10 at night, Thursday's start earlier, but I'm home by supper.  I still have kids to care so working full time is not really an option.  I've joked with my dh about wanting it, and he's only commented how easy the job would be for me. Guess I'm just venting.  I think I'm having a small mid-life crisis. :P  

• Like 4

4 mile run this morning. Yesterday's run felt decent, not easy, but I could do it.  Today was a very hard run.  I had to stop mid run and change my run/walk time to 3/1 instead of 6/1.  I told myself that it would probably take till the end of July till I got back to feeling like I could run again, but it's been 4 weeks and I'm not seeing much improvement and because I've been so busy and short on time I've not been practicing yoga, and I miss it a lot.

The organization my dh works for needs a CFO. It's not hard work, and I know I could do it.  I want the job badly.  I don't know if I'm just wanting a change or what, but I so want it.  But I can't handle a full time job right now.  I still have 3 kids I homeschool and run around. It's the running around that's an issue.  Twice a week during the school year we go to town (an hour away) all day.  Monday's are till 10 at night, Thursday's start earlier, but I'm home by supper.  I still have kids to care so working full time is not really an option.  I've joked with my dh about wanting it, and he's only commented how easy the job would be for me. Guess I'm just venting.  I think I'm having a small mid-life crisis. :p

The running will get better. Is heat and humidity an issue now? That can make running so much tougher.

Re: CFO job, I bet it would be easier in many ways, and it must be really nice to know that you could step in and do the job well. No one can replace you in your current role, though, and the impact you are making is priceless!

• Like 2

Oh my!  When ever I get a little giddy and play on monkey bars it always hurts like the dickens afterwards. You are a brave warrior!

The aerial silks class sounds cool. How high off the ground will you be? 

Jealous!!

So, I started the class because on another fitness forum I'm on there is a ton ladies doing Aerial and I was so tired of being jealous. It is so freakin' awesome. The hardest fun I've had (isn't that an army slogan). How many fitness/exercise classes for adults is the norm for you to be able to do pull-ups and the splits. Where they tell you if you do this right it will hurt and you will have bruises in unspeakable spots? And it is not just the physical strength it requires but the mental, oh my goodness figuring out how to make your body do something so different and new, it is mindblowing. I only felt like a total idiot during about 10 min or so today, much improved when last week I felt like the only thing I really nailed was the push-ups at the end :) 

The organization my dh works for needs a CFO. It's not hard work, and I know I could do it.  I want the job badly.  I don't know if I'm just wanting a change or what, but I so want it.  But I can't handle a full time job right now.  I still have 3 kids I homeschool and run around. It's the running around that's an issue.  Twice a week during the school year we go to town (an hour away) all day.  Monday's are till 10 at night, Thursday's start earlier, but I'm home by supper.  I still have kids to care so working full time is not really an option.  I've joked with my dh about wanting it, and he's only commented how easy the job would be for me. Guess I'm just venting.  I think I'm having a small mid-life crisis. :p

Oh, my Kim that is exciting. I think you need to think seriously about it, perhaps there is a way to make it work.

• Like 2

Sunday: rest

Monday: 3 mile morning walk, evening double martial arts classes

Tuesday: 7 mile morning walk, evening martial arts class

In other news- I'm learning to juggle.  Slowly but surely.  

Juggling, cool!!!

Big bummer, the baby is sick running a pretty bad fever, had to go pick her up early from my parents. Neither of us hardly slept at all last night and I just cancelled yoga. I think it is just a virus and she'll be fine but until then I figure I better just stay with her. I'm scheduled to go to a new yoga center tomorrow. I have an eval in another city for ds and I scheduled a class afterwards. It is advertised as using various props, including silks, trapeeze, blocks, straps and the wall. Not sure what that means but I'm excited to find out.

Soror- sorry about the sick kiddo. Fun silk stuff though

Reishy- juggling is uber cool too

Kim- the running will come, be patient

Negin- nice work

The three youngest kids and I had a great time camping except for the deluge when we were packing up. I tried to tell myself that the barrels of Deet were healthier than West Nike Virus. We swam and hiked and stuff but nothing formal. I taught yoga this morning. A run probably won't happen because of all the stuff I need to do today. Maybe a walk with the hubster tonight if it quits raining. Weird thing about my back, it was hurting pretty badly Monday night. We primitive camp so I figured a night on the ground, tree roots and all would render me paralytic. Nope, woke up feeling better than I have in weeks. There's my new treatment. Sleep on the lumpy, hard ground. Weird but in a good way.

• Like 3

Finally found this thread on page 3! 

Tennis was good fun tonight, even though we ended up getting crushed at mixed doubles. I'll happily take a loss against nice people who play fair and tough.

I also got in some extra steps as I walked home from the tennis club. My legs are mush. A hot bath is on the agenda! 

• Like 3

joy- How is the teaching going? Do you like it?

Nothing yesterday for me, I was too tired and when I wasn't holding a sick baby I was trying to get stuff done. She seems to have turned a corner and her fever has came down, thankfully.

• Like 3

Soror- I really like teaching the class. I'm looking to start a couch25K group too. It is raining again, or still. I biked and walked in the rain with kids yesterday. I just couldn't bring myself to get soggy again so I went to the fitness center for an hour of elliptical. I don't think it's as good as running but I do sweat a lot. I need to take ds to the orthodontist and dd to the license branch. Good times ;)

• Like 2

Going running in the next few minutes. Need to drop one kid at work, two kids at fitclub ( not fight club ;) ), and 7yo at a friend's then pick them all back up. The best pick up is tonight at 9:30 when I get to pick the 21 yo up at the airport! He left for basic Jan 6th. We'll see how long he is actually here though. I'm betting the girlfriend gets him the rest of the time so I'm going to enjoy my little bit.

• Like 4

Don't know where my post from yesterday went........

I did what was supposed to be props yoga at a different studio Thursday- 1hr 15 min-  I was not impressed with the teacher, at all. She had *some* good cuing but the flow was quite bad, well some was ok but some of the transitions made no sense whatsoever like saying we could go to a tripod headstand from a wide leg forward fold or a couple other she had us go into without proper cues as to how we needed to change positions. She had us do sun salutation too but it wasn't A or B but some weird mix of the 2 I guess, I couldn't figure out what we're doing, don't call it Sun Salutation if it isn't Sun Salutation! And oh my goodness the placement she had us use for downward dog, I ignored most of it, wretched. She supposedly has 200 hr certification too, I don't know from where but I wouldn't want to go there. 

Yesterday I played a bit at the playground with the kids but otherwise didn't do much, did the monkey bars and a bit of pull-up work. Today, still deciding, planning a bit of light yoga this am and then we are going to a nature center so will be doing some hiking/walking.

My upper back and shoulders have been sore all week from Aerial Tuesday, then yesterday I had sore legs from yoga! 

• Like 3