Menu

Exercise Thread ~ July 12th - July 18th

Negin

Hiked over to the train station to pick up tickets - the road was closed due to a big event.  Spending most of the afternoon in the garden weeding - it's good to be stretching after lots of hiking and carrying a pack.

ETA: measured my hips this morning because a new pair of trousers doesn't fit.  My hips are now 37 1/2 inches, having been, I think, 39 about a year ago.  My weight is not much different, so it much just be toning, mostly with a lot more walking.  No change in my waist though: I am very short in the torso, so there's just not much space for the waist to dip in.

• Like 6

Have fun Negin, we'll miss you!

Laura- that is a great loss. It seems we all lose differently, I'm losing much more easily from my belly than hips right now myself!

Yesterday:

pushups, pullups and pistol squats: busting butt deep cleaning the house!

I can now do a pullup with my arms full extended above me but can't when I pull my feet up and start to hang. That is progress though, 6 weeks ago I had to give a little jump. Hopefully in another 6 weeks I'll have it down from the dead hang.

I'm up to 20 pushups, although not every day because I've been killing my upper body, some days I don't have anything to give, lots of soreness these days! Today I promise no upperbody work! I want to be fresh for aerial tomorrow. Hoping for some park time and a walk, although we'll see it is supposed to be roasting and I didn't hardly sleep last night, might be a rest day. We're also starting back to school today and the kids then have 4H and ds has TKD, it promises to be a busy one.

• Like 6

Wow Soror, that's a lot of progress.

I feel a little like my progress has stalled or even regressed.  Not being able to run for the last month or so has changed my shape a bit because I'm still lifting.  My body doesn't quite seem like mine. 

Last night added a 2 mile walk and then early early this morning walked 3 miles.  Today, come hell or high water, I have an hour of kata work to do. Then tonight 3 martial arts classes because the dojo just added another adult class time slot.  

• Like 4

Wow Soror, that's a lot of progress.

I feel a little like my progress has stalled or even regressed.  Not being able to run for the last month or so has changed my shape a bit because I'm still lifting.  My body doesn't quite seem like mine. 

Last night added a 2 mile walk and then early early this morning walked 3 miles.  Today, come hell or high water, I have an hour of kata work to do. Then tonight 3 martial arts classes because the dojo just added another adult class time slot.  

I sure understand the bolded, it sucks!

So, yesterday was a rest day. I went to the park while the kids did 4H but the 2.5 yo was asleep and I didn't have it in me to strap her to me, the heat index was 115, yep I wussed out. Today is Aerial.

• Like 2

Negin~have fun

Laura~awesome. I'm always amazed how working out doesn't change my weight but it does change my shape.

Soror~great progress

Reishy~I get it. Without exercise my body and mind sort of get away from me.

This week has been a long Sunday hike and last night yoga and wine at a localish winery.  Wine slushies :hurray:  I didn't think they'd be my 'thing' but yum!

Went running this morning. I might take the kids swimming IF it stops raining. Lots of local flooding, ruined crops, flooded and ruined basements and garages. Lucky us to live in the hardest hit county. Things here are going to be really tough for farmers. Also all the people who run camping supply stores, marinas at the reservoirs, etc may lose their businesses. The state park campgrounds have been underwater for a month. :sad:

• Like 4

Been v busy!

Sunday: usual hike w dh to the farmers' market/natural food store

Monday: training followed by elliptical

Today: bike and ab work

Been going to PT for the shoulder 3x a week. Progress, finally! Hopefully next week will be the last of it. I know I will have many months before I have complete flexibility (still cannot hook my bra) but I am able to more more freely than even last week. Both my therapist ans trainer are happy with my progress.

Negin, I hope you have a lovely time :)

• Like 5

3 mile a.m. walk. 1 hour kata work and then martial arts class tonight.

My kata work yesterday?  I ended up mowing instead:(    So of course last night my Sensei picked me to stand in the center of the mat by myself and do any kata the rest of the students called out.  EEEEEK.

• Like 3

I'm getting into the habit of good walks at lunchtime, then walking the dog in the evening.  I now have a lunch hour, rather than half an hour, so that's 45 minutes of walking and fifteen minutes of eating.  Yesterday 13,500 steps; today 15,000.  Then gardening at weekends.

Have a good trip, Negin.

• Like 5

luckymama- great news on PT!

Reishi- I bet you did great. 

Aerial class yesterday, it was hard as always. I love and hate the challenge. I was so tired my brain wasn't working and when we started to do the traditional climbing I couldn't remember how to do it and I almost cried. Other than that moment it went well, I push it when we practice something I do it as much as I physically can. I've never done anything with as complicated moves as this so it is a chunk to keep in my head. Like when we started the Russian style climbing all of a sudden I switched to the regular climb and didn't realize it, oops! Strength and gripwise I think I'm holding up well and I think I'm doing ok on the other as well, we just have some that have done it before and I stupidly compare myself. It is often crazy painful, I'm shocked my inner thighs aren't bruised from the silks, almost cried with that as well, it hurt so bad but when they are pushing into you then you are secure. I got a bit of a fabric burn on my foot as well.  So, I'm a bit sore today and likely to get more sore as the day goes on!

Today I'm planning to go to gymnastics, we'll see how that goes! I hope my arms aren't too fried. I just got my handstand against the wall so I'm so stocked to see if I can do it up to their pads, which will be all the closer to freestanding ! I plan to do a bit of light yoga and stretching this am and a walk- we took a night time walk last night as well.

• Like 4

I went to bootcamp on Monday morning and this morning.  I'm not having as much trouble getting out of the house as I thought I might - it starts at 6am.  This bootcamp was a lot less expensive than the TRX classes I normally do but I don't know if I like it as much.  We do a lot of squats, lunges, push-up, crunches, and running.  

What I really need to do is start some kind of exercise on non-bootcamp days.  One week I did two days of Couch to 5k but I haven't done it since :(

• Like 5

Soror- I am so intrigued by your aerial work.  That's something I would love love, love to attempt.  Grip-wise it would be great for any jujitsu artist! 

Today is an active rest sort of day.  The calf I ripped over a year ago is charlie horsing so I need to tend to it with rollers and stretching, etc.  Plus kata work and some bo staff. 

• Like 4

Soror- I am so intrigued by your aerial work.  That's something I would love love, love to attempt.  Grip-wise it would be great for any jujitsu artist! 

Today is an active rest sort of day.  The calf I ripped over a year ago is charlie horsing so I need to tend to it with rollers and stretching, etc.  Plus kata work and some bo staff. 

I'm not familiar at all with juijitsu, what kind of grip stuff do you do? Ds does TKD but it doesn't seem there is much grip work in it from what I've seen. Aerial is certainly good for it, I think one of the things that I've done that has helped me the most is hanging, working on pull-ups and monkey bars. I have no trouble holding the silks for as long as she asks and often go longer however it is a struggle for a lot of the ladies as it is not something woman do a lot. 

take care of that calf!

Last night I did gymnastics and drumroll....... I managed a freestanding handstand! More than one, I got about 3 seconds maybe but it was in the middle of the floor and not against the wall. They have pads everywhere and there floor is a bit soft so it makes it easy to get rid of that fear and after kicking up to do it on the wall I have a better idea of how much strength I need, I can't wait to get some more practice so I can get one anywhere and for longer.

Gymnastics was a lot more fun this time, less conditioning more skill work. I suck at most everything tumbling, I can't even do a cartwheel or any flips, it scares me. But put me on the bars and I feel at home. I totally rocked the bars, I'm going to ask her for some more advanced work on those next time as I can easily do what she asks there. I got a bit crazy flipping back and forth with my hands though and ripped open both of my hands, which didn't hurt until afterwards when I tried to go back on the bars and it burned like crazy and I had to have my hands wrapped to finish up the class.

It is funny we were doing butterfly (bound angle) stretch at the end and this girl, who is maybe 18 and gymnast pointed to me and said goals, I can do it quite easily with my knees all the way down and my head too; I just laughed and said I can't even do a cartwheel, Goals! Funny how some things are hard for one person and easy for another. A big reason I enjoy aerial and now the gymnastics is because there is a good mix of challenge, some things are easy, some things are hard but I can do and some things are now impossible! If everything is easy it feels pointless but if it is all hard you feel defeated. I like a challenge but to also feel competent.

Today is yoga at 6am and I've been up since 3:30am. Not good. I had a hard time winding down last night, we missed my get to sleep window and I was jazzed about gymnastics. It doesn't bode well for school today, hopefully I do ok and get to bed early tonight and maybe get a cat nap in after lunch. I'm trying out the early workout so it doesn't mess with our day, we'll see how it works.

• Like 2

I went to bootcamp on Monday morning and this morning.  I'm not having as much trouble getting out of the house as I thought I might - it starts at 6am.  This bootcamp was a lot less expensive than the TRX classes I normally do but I don't know if I like it as much.  We do a lot of squats, lunges, push-up, crunches, and running.  

What I really need to do is start some kind of exercise on non-bootcamp days.  One week I did two days of Couch to 5k but I haven't done it since :(

Maybe just trying to do walking or some yoga on those days? I guess you don't want anything too strength intensive after those days, maybe if you can do some video or something at the same time at home on those off days? 

I vote for doing the class you enjoy, I have a horrible time motivating doing workouts I don't like. I will push myself but only if I want to and not arbitrarily. I have a friend doing a bootcamp class and I thought about joining her but I'm afraid of what they do, I don't like running and I won't do crunches (I think they're pointless) but push-ups and pull-ups I could use some planned work in that to progress. It would be nice if such classes posted the routine before hand so you could decide if you wanted to come or not. 

• Like 2

Maybe just trying to do walking or some yoga on those days? I guess you don't want anything too strength intensive after those days, maybe if you can do some video or something at the same time at home on those off days? 

I vote for doing the class you enjoy, I have a horrible time motivating doing workouts I don't like. I will push myself but only if I want to and not arbitrarily. I have a friend doing a bootcamp class and I thought about joining her but I'm afraid of what they do, I don't like running and I won't do crunches (I think they're pointless) but push-ups and pull-ups I could use some planned work in that to progress. It would be nice if such classes posted the routine before hand so you could decide if you wanted to come or not. 

Yeah, even walking would be an improvement on sitting for non-class days.  I definitely don't want anything too strength intensive.  I like spin classes and there are spin classes scheduled for the days I'm not in bootcamp, but I also like not having to be anywhere at 6am on those days.  

I think I will go back to TRX in the fall - maybe the 6am class instead of the 9am class.  I signed up for bootcamp because of how cheap it is three days a week for all of July and all of August for $130.  Way less than TRX so I can still be part of a class and not feel bad about my 3 weeks vacation right in the middle of it.

• Like 3

Yeah, even walking would be an improvement on sitting for non-class days.  I definitely don't want anything too strength intensive.  I like spin classes and there are spin classes scheduled for the days I'm not in bootcamp, but I also like not having to be anywhere at 6am on those days.  

I think I will go back to TRX in the fall - maybe the 6am class instead of the 9am class.  I signed up for bootcamp because of how cheap it is three days a week for all of July and all of August for $130.  Way less than TRX so I can still be part of a class and not feel bad about my 3 weeks vacation right in the middle of it.

Can you fit it in a bit later than 6am ? I like around 6:30 or 7am if I'm working out at home and usually I just do about 30 min in the am and then sometimes I'll do another thing later.

She didn't take it easy on us in Yoga today. My poor shoulders and back, aerial, gymnastics and then plenty of chatarangas in yoga and I'm feeling it. I definitely planning a light day tomorrow and laying off my upper body. She hit our lower body too with holding some low lunges and squats. We did backbends too and lots of twists, my backbend felt the best it has in ages, I guess I'm making progress!

• Like 1

I'm not familiar at all with juijitsu, what kind of grip stuff do you do?

This video explains the types of grips we need and at the very, very end shows some slow moving examples of grips in practice: https://youtu.be/lHiHFRrTBqM But basically you need grip and hand strength to grab your opponent and control his movements from up close and personal. Manipulate joints.   In my Karate style we also use grips for joint locks and throws.  

Some people throw an old gi over a hang up bar and do pull ups holding a jujitsu grip on just the gi.  My hands are not that strong!  

Today:  3 mile early  a.m. walk.  This afternoon- one on one jujitsu session with my sensei.  Tonight karate class.  

• Like 4

This video explains the types of grips we need and at the very, very end shows some slow moving examples of grips in practice: https://youtu.be/lHiHFRrTBqM But basically you need grip and hand strength to grab your opponent and control his movements from up close and personal. Manipulate joints.   In my Karate style we also use grips for joint locks and throws.  

Some people throw an old gi over a hang up bar and do pull ups holding a jujitsu grip on just the gi.  My hands are not that strong!  

Today:  3 mile early  a.m. walk.  This afternoon- one on one jujitsu session with my sensei.  Tonight karate class.  

That's cool, I can see that you sure do use grip a lot. I would think it would make sparring with males interesting as men usually do have so much more grip strength but once you really work it if you get a high enough grip strength it seems it would give you an advantage in sparring.

• Like 1

I haven't checked in here in months but I'm happy to say that I've been keeping up my twice daily hikes. Long hilly hike with the pup in the a.m. and med. hilly power walk in the p.m. I think I've been doing this consistently for at least 10 months now. For a while I was getting in some pilates sessions but that fell by the wayside. I'd like to pick that up again though. And y'all have reminded me to start hanging again.

• Like 5

I haven't checked in here in months but I'm happy to say that I've been keeping up my twice daily hikes. Long hilly hike with the pup in the a.m. and med. hilly power walk in the p.m. I think I've been doing this consistently for at least 10 months now. For a while I was getting in some pilates sessions but that fell by the wayside. I'd like to pick that up again though. And y'all have reminded me to start hanging again.

Welcome back!  Walks are fabulous! Hanging is good for you too!

I'm not surprisingly sore today, planning some light yoga this am and a short walk before school with the kids.

• Like 1

That's cool, I can see that you sure do use grip a lot. I would think it would make sparring with males interesting as men usually do have so much more grip strength but once you really work it if you get a high enough grip strength it seems it would give you an advantage in sparring.

Sparring with men has really taught me a lot about making use of natural advantages.  They don't tend to use their legs as well or as often as women and don't tend to be as flexible in their hips but their grip strength and weight can be formidable.  My coach (a man) is constantly getting me by an ankle into a leg lock that starts with a grip on the hem of my gi pants-leg.  Grrr.  I know the defense but can't always manage it in time to avoid having to tap out.

Today- nothing but stretching and some grappling work.

• Like 1

Sparring with men has really taught me a lot about making use of natural advantages.  They don't tend to use their legs as well or as often as women and don't tend to be as flexible in their hips but their grip strength and weight can be formidable.  My coach (a man) is constantly getting me by an ankle into a leg lock that starts with a grip on the hem of my gi pants-leg.  Grrr.  I know the defense but can't always manage it in time to avoid having to tap out.

Today- nothing but stretching and some grappling work.

Interesting, sounds like with lots of things it is part speed as well.

Yesterday, I did get a bit of yoga and the walk in. Dd1 was up so I practiced teaching with her, it was fun! I don't know why I didn't think of it before either because it will help me work on getting my wording out without being nervous and see how my cues work. I've done some teaching 11+ years ago now but that was a lifetime ago. It was an exercise in awareness as well as I was doing poses and thinking of where I feel them and how to cue them as clearly as possible. 

today, nature walk with the kids and some light yoga/stretching

I'm trying to take a break from anything upper body after pushing it so hard. I think I will do a short and sweet yoga sun and then slow again on monday before I start the week of classes again.

• Like 1

The last few days have been: lots of plane travel and sitting around talking to relatives.  I managed to do some airport walking and some walking around my home town.  Then I came home in a daze of lack of sleep and just managed to potter around the garden a bit yesterday.  Time to get moving.

• Like 1

Welcome home Laura! It is wretched whenever your sleep deprived and then with jet lag it sounds like you deserved a bit of a break.

I managed to do my Short and Sweet Yoga #2 this morning. I had a hard time this am with the forearm planks, well that was ok until then he had us move one leg one top of our arm, I couldn't hold it as long as he did. I've done it before but it didn't happen today. I hope to test/practice push-ups, pull-ups and pistol squats later today, maybe a family walk/ride.

Welcome home Laura! It is wretched whenever your sleep deprived and then with jet lag it sounds like you deserved a bit of a break.

No jet lag  - all the travel was in the UK time zone.  Just my head was a bit messed up by family stuff and starting new job stuff.

L

• Like 1