Menu

anyone watching the convergence?

gardenmom5

of venus and jupiter with regulus? they are supposed to be with in 1/2 degree of each other.

on the west coast  it's supposed to be just after sunset for "maybe" two hours for best viewing. 

and we even have clear (ish) skies!!!!!

• Like 1

I was just reading about this. I am not sure we will be able to see them as our sky does not get dark yet......we do get a little less light but still pretty bright all night. I hope you get a good view! Tell me how it is. I just noticed we are cloud covered....always happens every year on Solstice when the sun does not set we have cloud cover...so frustrating. I hope your night is joyous.

you'd have to check for your longitude when it is visible.  it will still be visible for a number more days, they just won't be within 1/2 degree.

sunset here is still after 9pm, so even though the sky is still pretty light, they are visible because they are so bright.

I was thrilled to be able to see it :thumbup1: - usually we're socked in. :sneaky2:  :toetap05:   it seems to be a rule for the weather here.  anything interesting in the night sky - and the clouds roll in . . . . :glare: :glare: :glare:

it was pretty cool :) - regulus was above them, and it is the brightest star in the sky.  on the straight line below venus and jupiter merging made them seem much brighter than they are by themselves.  my telescope isn't the greatest (I need better lenses) but I could see there was a round shape infringing upon the posterior object.  sort of like a partial lunar eclipse.  seems like in a few nights it's supposed to form a triangle.

dsil stopped by in time to see it.  dd was at work. (her transcripts are now posted so she is scheduled to take her licensing exams in the next two weeks. :hurray:

eta: they are clearly visible at dusk to the naked eye.  with light in the, sky they are some of the only stars' visibile, and very bright.

• Like 1