Menu

What do you think about musicians trying to dictate who can play their music?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.pastemagazine.com/high_gravity/2008/09/5-biggest-democratic-musicians-and-5-biggest-repub.html

Johnny Ramone is a Republican? Who knew! :confused: I think the idea of using Kid Rock at the RNC is HILARIOUS!

Herm..

That is somewhat weird.

How can someone play punk AAANNNDDD be a Republican or a Democrat?

I think I am now going to think of him as a "tool"

:lol:

I suppose it is a good thing for these artists that we don't buy music only from people who share our political affiliation ;)

Speak for yourself, Cindy! Except I didn't know about Johnny Ramone.

Just kidding! :lol:

Well...except for the Dixie Chicks. I don't buy from them.

Well it turns out Toby Keith is a Barack Obama lovin' Democrat :D

So...let's say the Obama campaign wanted to use Charlie Daniels music, and they paid the proper fees, I still think it would be Mr Daniel's prerogative to say he didn't like it one darned bit.

Bill

Certainly Obama does not want to use Charlie Daniels music. I know it was just an example. If the RNC is still lookng for artists, I think Jessica Simpson is a fan of President Bush.

Finally... common ground! :D Between the Nuge and (if I recall correctly) Gene, we can dismiss that silly Crowe/Stewart thing. :grouphug:

I forgive you for not loving The Russell, that thin Colorado air does things to people.;):D;)

And, yes, Gene Simmons is so cool! I love Family Jewels.:001_smile:

LOL, beansprouts! Last Christmas his "Santa Claus is coming to town" was on the radio. I always thought it was sort of cute so I left it on. My daughters asked me to change the radio station. I asked, "Don't you like it?" and my younger dd said, "Why would you?????" It was hysterical!

Nobody ever told me what happened with Springsteen! Was it something with his song "Born in the USA" ? I always thought it was funny that politicians weren't getting that the song was criticizing the USA, not praising it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_the_U.S.A._(song)

I do agree with you that it's ironic that many people don't get it is a song critical of US policies.

Nobody ever told me what happened with Springsteen! Was it something with his song "Born in the USA" ? I always thought it was funny that politicians weren't getting that the song was criticizing the USA, not praising it!

Yes Reagan used it.

So..then the media figured he didn't know what he was talking about so they asked him what his favorite Springsteen song was. After awhile his PR person told them "Born to Run"

Then Springsteen (a Democrat) mentioned he was not very keen.

Field day ect ect

What I think is silly is that musicians/actors/entertainers are in such lock-step support of the Democratic Party. It would be almost impossible to find anyone other than a country artist who would be okay with Republicans playing their music at an event, and I think that's silly. I find it hard to believe that such a high percentage of a group of people sincerely support the Democratic party on firm principles alone. ((EDITED- I'm deleting the last phrase because it detracted from my point, and wasn't necessary for this topic.)

Erica

What I think is silly is that musicians/actors/entertainers are in such lock-step support of the Democratic Party. It would be almost impossible to find anyone other than a country artist who would be okay with Republicans playing their music at an event, and I think that's silly. I find it hard to believe that such a high percentage of a group of people sincerely support the Democratic party on firm principles alone (especially Hollywood types, who, generally speaking, are not well known for living by firm principles.:glare:)

Erica

Unlike the corporate fatcats that run the Republican party? If we're just going to resort to stereotyping...

Unlike the corporate fatcats that run the Republican party? If we're just going to resort to stereotyping...

I don't really know what you mean, or how that is related here. I don't know how "corporate fatcats" vote, do you? I don't even know who they *are,* let alone how they vote.

On the other hand, I hear celebrities talking *All The Time* about their support for the Democratic party, and their distain for Republicans. I don't have to assume how they are voting-- they tell us, constantly- at rallies, online, in magazines, in interviews, on commercials, at conventions, etc. Think of all the celebrities and entertainers who came to the Democratic Convention this year. Think of how very, very few (other than country artists) came to the Republican Convention.

Anyway, the topic here was musicians and how they don't allow Republicans to play their music. I can't remember *ever* hearing a band telling a Democrat that they couldn't play their song, can you? If it has happened, it's extremely rare. And yet it happens regularly with Republicans. So I believe my point is relevant here. It's not stereotyping. I didn't say that every celebrity is a Democrat (that would be stereotyping). My point is that it is exceedingly rare to hear anyone in mainstream entertainment voice any support for Republicans. I don't know how anyone could sincerely dispute that at this point.

Erica

I don't really know what you mean, or how that is related here. I don't know how "corporate fatcats" vote, do you? I don't even know who they *are,* let alone how they vote.

I know more about corporate fatcats and who they support than I do celebrities. But I'm not a People magazine type, I watch a lot of cspan.

Anyway, the topic here was musicians and how they don't allow Republicans to play their music. I can't remember *ever* hearing a band telling a Democrat that they couldn't play their song, can you? If it has happened, it's extremely rare. And yet it happens regularly with Republicans. So I believe my point is relevant here. It's not stereotyping. I didn't say that every celebrity is a Democrat (that would be stereotyping). My point is that it is exceedingly rare to hear anyone in mainstream entertainment voice any support for Republicans. I don't know how anyone could sincerely dispute that at this point.

I wasn't referring to your assertion that many mainstream entertainers are Democratic supporters (certainly not all, I know of a good number of famous republican supporters). I was referring (and pretty clearly since I bolded it) to the value judgments you assigned to Democrats and Hollywood.

Here a link to get you started:

Top CEOs give 10 times more to McCain than to Obama

I know more about corporate fatcats and who they support than I do celebrities.

I wasn't referring to your assertion that many mainstream entertainers are Democratic supporters (certainly not all, I know of a good number of famous republican supporters). I was referring (and pretty clearly since I bolded it) to the value judgments you assigned to Democrats and Hollywood.

Well, a quick google search of celebrities/ Democratic convention turned up this link of 27 pages of photos of celebrities at the DNC, if that helps. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-celebrities-democratic-convention-photos,0,5159482.photogallery

Okay, the value judgments I assigned to Hollywood... all I meant by that, is that the numbers are soooo huge in supporting Democrats, that I find it hard to believe that it is entirely sincere, from the heart support. Maybe saying that Hollywood types are not known for standing on principle was going too far, but it does seem to me that with all of the rampant drug use, drinking, DUIs, promiscuity, etc. that celebrities are involved with today, many people would not find them as a group to be highly principled. Some may disagree.

Erica

Well, a quick google search of celebrities/ Democratic convention turned up this link of 27 pages of photos of celebrities at the DNC, if that helps. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-celebrities-democratic-convention-photos,0,5159482.photogallery

eta: Why should I care who celebrities endorse, either way? I'm not a celebrity follower, I don't care about them or their lives. I don't read People Magazine, I don't watch Access Hollywood, I don't read perez, I don't care.

Okay, the value judgments I assigned to Hollywood... all I meant by that, is that the numbers are soooo huge in supporting Democrats, that I find it hard to believe that it is entirely sincere, from the heart support. Maybe saying that Hollywood types are not known for standing on principle was going too far, but it does seem to me that with all of the rampant drug use, drinking, DUIs, promiscuity, etc. that celebrities are involved with today, many people would not find them as a group to be highly principled. Some may disagree.

And politicians, corporate leaders, ministers are any better? I think you know I could provide plenty of links that indicate otherwise. The only difference is people's *perceptions* of the communities in question.

Okay.. but how does that relate to the topic here? The topic wasn't.. which types of people tend to vote for which party.. it was, "What do you think about people refusing political parties to play their music?" My point was, though legally artists are within their rights to do so, it bugs me because it is *always* an artist forbidding a Republican to use their music, and imo, sometimes for less-than-principled reasons. That is why it bugs me, not because they are not within their rights to do so. They are within their rights, but it bugs me. That's my answer to the OP's question.

Erica

Maybe saying that Hollywood types are not known for standing on principle was going too far, but it does seem to me that with all of the rampant drug use, drinking, DUIs, promiscuity, etc. that celebrities are involved with today, many people would not find them as a group to be highly principled. Some may disagree.
I'm not sure which "hollywood types" you're talking about, because the ones I saw in the link you provided do not fit that description (with the exception of Chevy Chase). I would also argue that, whether or not you agree with their politics, the likes of Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Sean Penn are absolutely "standing on principle." If you're willing to tarnish a whole group because of the actions of a few, well... that leaves everyone fair game, doesn't it?

DH just told me tonight that Heart is upset about the RNC playing Barracuda at the convention. This election it seems there has been one band after another complaining about their music being played by politicians who don't share their views. Do you think it's reasonable for musicians to ask them to stop using the music? What if royalties are paid?

I haven't read this entire thread.

My pov, as a musician, is it's Heart's property and they can give/deny rights to whomever they please. It doesn't matter if someone offers to pay royalties or not, if Heart doesn't want to share/sell their property, that's final.

It's the same as someone coming to your house and offering you $$$ to buy your dog or cat (or something that is near and dear to you). It's YOUR property and it's NOT for sale. In this case, it's not for sale to the RNC.

We're speaking past one another, I think. I feel as though you are not addressing my point here, but going off onto other issues. And I am sure that you feel that I am missing your point as well.

The reason I'm mentioning celebrities in particular in this thread (and not politicians, or fat cats, or clergy, etc.) is because they are the ones who create the music that this thread is addressing, and they are the ones who forbid the use of their music. Not because I have a special interest in the politics of celebrities.

All I can say is, my answer to the OP is yes, it bugs me, because it is always celebrities forbidding only Republicans from using their music. If it weren't so lopsided, it wouldn't bother me so much.

Erica

I'm not sure which "hollywood types" you're talking about, because the ones I saw in the link you provided do not fit that description (with the exception of Chevy Chase). I would also argue that, whether or not you agree with their politics, the likes of Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Sean Penn are absolutely "standing on principle." If you're willing to tarnish a whole group because of the actions of a few, well... that leaves everyone fair game, doesn't it?

I'd agree with you on those you mentioned. As I said, there are some celebrities who do stand on principle.

Erica

We're speaking past one another, I think. I feel as though you are not addressing my point here, but going off onto other issues. And I am sure that you feel that I am missing your point as well.

The reason I'm mentioning celebrities in particular in this thread (and not politicians, or fat cats, or clergy, etc.) is because they are the ones who create the music that this thread is addressing, and they are the ones who forbid the use of their music. Not because I have a special interest in the politics of celebrities.

All I can say is, my answer to the OP is yes, it bugs me, because it is always celebrities forbidding only Republicans from using their music. If it weren't so lopsided, it wouldn't bother me so much.

Erica

If it bugs you because you have a perception that musicians tend to be liberal and therefore decide to deny Republicans the fruit of their labor, that's fine, that's your prerogative. I was taking issue with your depiction of Democrats (even celebrity Democrats) as having shady motives for their choice in candidate and implying they are on shaky moral ground.

Erica

Well, the Republican party has initiated policies that are unpopular with the artistic community.

Didn't the Republicans go on a crusade against the Endowment of the Arts? I don't remember the Democrats attacking the Endowment of the Arts. Don't a lot of Republicans want to make gay marriage illegal?

It seems strange to complain about it after they crapped all over the artistic community, sneer at them and stereotype them as "immoral"

If the Republicans cannot get a good theme song as a result of their behaviors and actions then well, I have no answer for that.

Well, the Republican party has initiated policies that are unpopular with the artistic community.

Didn't the Republicans go on a crusade against the Endowment of the Arts? I don't remember the Democrats attacking the Endowment of the Arts. Don't a lot of Republicans want to make gay marriage illegal?

It seems strange to complain about it after they crapped all over the artistic community, sneer at them and stereotype them as "immoral"

If the Republicans cannot get a good theme song as a result of their behaviors and actions then well, I have no answer for that.

I wish I could rep you but I can't yet.

Okay, first question, what does gay marriage have to do with music or the Endowment of the Arts?

How is trying to reduce federal spending by cutting nonsense programs like the Endowment of the Arts crapping all over the artistic community?

The government is not there to provide culture. Cultural opportunities can be provided by private grants and fundraisers. We really do not need government providing arts. Or television. Or radio. Communities need to be doing that for themselves.

Okay, first question, what does gay marriage have to do with music or the Endowment of the Arts?

How is trying to reduce federal spending by cutting nonsense programs like the Endowment of the Arts crapping all over the artistic community?

The government is not there to provide culture. Cultural opportunities can be provided by private grants and fundraisers. We really do not need government providing arts. Or television. Or radio. Communities need to be doing that for themselves.

Because the artistic is by nature a more liberal community that is more accepting in general?

My point, in bringing up the endowment was pointing out the artistic community might not actually approve of the opposition of the endowment. I wasn't saying "Those mean Republicans! How dare they oppose the Endowment of the Arts!!"

I was saying, "I think y'all hacked them off" :lol:

I am not going to debate the endowment atm. I was just pointing out artists like it.

(and yes, I do support the endowment, I am just not in the mood to debate it when thousands of people are losing their homes every day, millions of children are without insurance and the number one reason people go bankrupt is medical bills)

If it bugs you because you have a perception that musicians tend to be liberal and therefore decide to deny Republicans the fruit of their labor, that's fine, that's your prerogative. I was taking issue with your depiction of Democrats (even celebrity Democrats) as having shady motives for their choice in candidate and implying they are on shaky moral ground.

I understand your point better now. It's mostly the former, in my case, although I'll admit there is a twinge of the latter as well.

Erica