Menu

I could really use some help re: book suggestions

A while ago we started listening to books while driving.  So far it has been Little House in Big Woods and the ones that follow.  My DS2 has "hated" every single one of them.  Until, in book 4 there was a chapter about horses and all of a sudden he was really interested.  He also REALLY likes Charlotte's Web, even though she dies at the end.

I asked him if he wants me to get books about animals and he said "YES!"

I recently bought The Fantastic Flying Journey by Gerald Durrell, but we haven't read it yet and our library doesn't have it on CD either.

So, what books about animals would you recommend for a 5 yr old that we could listen in the car

There's a lot of nature stories available on Librivox. We listened to the Burgess Book of Birds recently. There was another a few months back called 'The Sun's Children' or something like that.

Do you copy it to a CD or just listen in the house on your computer?

I love Kate DiCamillo, so I'd suggest the Mercy Watson series and The Tale of Despereaux. James Herriot's Treasury for Children is read by Jim Dale on Audible, so you can't go wrong there. The Sheep Pig is also a good one. If he likes horses in particular, The Black Stallion is a great book for boys.

• Like 1

The Ralph S. Mouse series by Beverly Cleary was a big hit around here. She also has Ribsy (about a dog) and Socks (a cat). Two different books. We love everything she writes.

Dr. Dolittle is another possibility. We haven't read those yet so I can't personally attest.

• Like 1

I'll bet he would love Dick King-Smith's books, most of which are about animals. Or maybe Redwall or Poppy. Seconding the above suggestions too.

Really, there are so many good animal books out there... If you want audio titles, you might just try going to the library and asking the librarian to point out the ones that are animal themed. Or, really, like I said, there are so many that this really may call for a Lori D. List. :)

• Like 3

If he liked Charlotte's Web, the next one to hit would be Trumpet of the Swan. My boys liked that one more.

My Father's Dragon series

Other threads to peruse. (BTW, I did find a Lori D list on one.) 

Chapter books about/with animal characters

talking animal books?

Need book rec's for just turned 8 yr old animal lover (these are readers for an older child, but you might see something he might like)

Audio book suggestions for my 4 year old

Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books for Kindergarten

Read-Alouds for 5yo

• Like 1

I'll bet he would love Dick King-Smith's books, most of which are about animals. Or maybe Redwall or Poppy. Seconding the above suggestions too.

Really, there are so many good animal books out there... If you want audio titles, you might just try going to the library and asking the librarian to point out the ones that are animal themed. Or, really, like I said, there are so many that this really may call for a Lori D. List. :)

Our library is CRAP!  I usually order it on line from the "community" of libraries and then pick it up

What is Lori D list??

A lot of my suggestions have alrwady been mentioned. One that hasn't is 101 Dalmations.

Paddington is about a bear but he doean't act like a bear. It's a good audio book though.

You could also try Winnie the Pooh or Tumtum and Nutmeg.

My son loved all the Dick King Smith books, James Herriot's Treasury for Children is good. The Cricut in Times Square is good too and I know there is an audio version.

Marley is geared more toward adults and it is about a dog but my kids (6,4,& 2 at the time) really enjoyed the audiobook narrated by Neil Patrick Harris. The Incredible Journey is another one not really geared toward younger kids but is an excellent audiobook.

Our library is CRAP!  I usually order it on line from the "community" of libraries and then pick it up

What is Lori D list??

Lori D posts really long, often pretty comprehensive book lists. I think she keeps them by category and reading level so she probably has in her file somewhere "animal books" and can list them all for you by reading level (though you're going to read them aloud, still sort of useful to know the target sometimes).

But you've got enough recommendations to start in this thread. No one has made a suggestion that seems off to me at all. Just see what they have that you can borrow.

• Like 1

Thomas Ernest Seton has some awesome (public domain so check Librivox) animal stories that are like biographies. Sort of involved for a 5-yo if you consider complexity, but all my littles have loved them. Especially the bear one on Librivix - awesome reader.

Owls in the Family is also hilarious :). Another vote for My Father's Dragon.