Menu

Read-Alouds for 5yo

3littlemonkeys

I know there are lists and I have visited a few of them (feel free to add any you know of, I enjoy looking at them) But I want to know your PERSONAL opinions for a 5 year old boy (with a 3yo sister listening) that doesn't read on his own yet, and hasn't sat through any chapter books yet.

I want to start with some chapter books (and I can't wait to get started with some of my old favorites), but I'm wondering if there are some shorter books I should start with to "build-up" his comprehension and attention. I'm afraid we haven't been doing him much good with our current bedtime books, they are mostly short picture books, and a few stories and a BUNCH of non-fiction dinosaur, reptile, animal, books. He hasn't sat through anything that will help with comprehension.

I did just buy a few books at Goodwill bookstore today including Charlotte's Web, but I don't know if that is a good starting book or not.

What would you do?

I always start with My Father's Dragon (and the two sequels) for my kids when they are 5. They are very simple chapter books and the kids love the silly adventure.

Then, after that, my kids have enjoyed Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Pippi Longstocking, Charlotte's Web (like you mentioned), Trumpet of the Swan (a favorite book here), Little House books (even the boys), and then Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Those are our favorite starting chapter books! HTH!

My son doesn't have a huge attention span for reading and it's often hard to catch his interest. With that said, at 5, he sat for:

The Indian In The Cupboard (mostly paying attention)

The Magic Finger (Roald Dahl- he LOVED this one)

and he's starting to be sort of interested in some of the Magic Tree House books.

Another vote for My Father's Dragon here, as well as the two follow-ups. The chapters are short, there are many pictures, and overall, it's short and engaging. Great first longer read aloud!

I have girls, so my experience is probably a bit different, but we used Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as the first or second longer read aloud (the other was Charlotte's Web). I'm betting Trumpet of the Swan might be a bigger hit than Charlotte, but maybe that depends, too. Really, if Charlie works in your house, he might enjoy Fantastic Mr. Fox and James and the Giant Peach. I'll also second Mr. Popper's Penguins.

For whatever it's worth, Winnie didn't work here (now my youngest likes it on CD, but that's about it). Neither did Beatrix Potter. We seem to be in the minority on those.

One fun one we just discovered is Half Magic by Edward Eager. Not many pictures, and the chapters are definitely long, but we often break them up for the sake of my 4-year-old. Bedknobs and Broomsticks (which isn't the exact title) was also popular. HTH! :001_smile:

I agree with all of the books listed so far. We started with Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and on to Mr. Popper's Penguins. I feel like they sort of eased him into listening to longer chapter books. He loved them all and I really didn't think he would have the attention span.

After that we read (in no particular order ;)):

Roald Dahl books

The Ralph Mouse books by Beverly Cleary

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Just a few to get you started. :)

Some of the books that we're reading that almost-5yo ds has enjoyed are:

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books

Beatrix Potter

the original Winnie-the-Pooh stories

Old Mother West Wind and the other little books by Thornton Burgess

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

He is very visual, so he is more interested in books with pictures. Older dd was more interested in listening to longer chapter books at this age.

I know there are lists and I have visited a few of them (feel free to add any you know of, I enjoy looking at them) But I want to know your PERSONAL opinions for a 5 year old boy (with a 3yo sister listening) that doesn't read on his own yet, and hasn't sat through any chapter books yet.

I want to start with some chapter books (and I can't wait to get started with some of my old favorites), but I'm wondering if there are some shorter books I should start with to "build-up" his comprehension and attention. I'm afraid we haven't been doing him much good with our current bedtime books, they are mostly short picture books, and a few stories and a BUNCH of non-fiction dinosaur, reptile, animal, books. He hasn't sat through anything that will help with comprehension.

I did just buy a few books at Goodwill bookstore today including Charlotte's Web, but I don't know if that is a good starting book or not.

What would you do?

Gladys Hunt's "Honey for a Child's Heart" and Jim Trelease's "The Read Aloud Handbook" are wonderful resources for selecting books.

I would go ahead and start with "Charlotte's Web", it is wonderful story!

:)

Our favorites:

Little House--the chapters really stand alone and I think that makes it easier to comprehend...my 6yo DS is loving Big Woods right now.

Charlotte's Web

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Dolphin Adventure Series

Five True Dog Stories

Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims

Holling C. Holling books

D'aulaire biographies

At night we've been reading poetry. I use:

A.A. Milne

Robert Louis Stevenson

Ambleside Online selections

Jabberwocky

In addition to some of the titles listed above, I'll chip in one more...

The Jamie and Angus Stories by Anne Fine - I keep recommending this one over and over and I can't sing its praises as an early read aloud enough. It's a set of sweet stories about a young boy and his stuffed bull Angus. There are simple soft pencil drawings on many pages. It's just a very gentle book. My boys loved it. I think it's the perfect first read aloud.

Oh, and I really like the Tashi books by Anna Feinberg (?). These are short, sweet books from Australia. They're a bit like fairy tales - about a boy and his imaginary friend, Tashi (who is a hobbit-like creature) who tells tall tales about his adventures.

Guest sarah16

We recently started chapter books with our 5 yo daughter and have read: Ms. Piggle Wiggle, James and the Giant Peach, The Chocolate Touch, and our favorite...Pippi Longstocking.

Now that I am able to type I'll expand on my earlier post.

Perhaps one of these will work as a audio book.

http://www.kiddierecords.com/

In the late 40s and early 50s lots of audio records for kids were popular. The website I linked to has 150+ of them that you can listen to via a audio stream. Some of the records came with picture books. Lots of work went into the records. Major Hollywood stars at the time played the various rolls, and they usually had full orchestra backup to the recordings.

I bookmarked this site and can't wait to let the kids listen to some of them. They look like a great item for when I need 15 or 20 minutes to get something done, but don't want to just turn them loose. Thanks for linking it.

A question for Holly, or anyone who knows:

What is the Dolphin adventure series that you mentioned? MY son LOVES ocean animals and I'd like to find more stories about ocean life to read to him. Google didn't offer much when I searched for the above phrase. Is this really a series? Who is the author? Thanks!

here are some books that incorporate more pictures and are a stepping stone to chapter books

beatrix potter

anything by mcclosky this is a link to a compilation of his works

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Way-McCloskey-Robert-Treasury/dp/067005934X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297226960&sr=8-

my sons have enjoyed nursery tales and fairy tale books like these

http://www.amazon.com/Random-House-Book-Nursery-Stories/dp/0375805869/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297227047&sr=1-3

(i wouldn't buy it at that price:lol:) sorry the link is bad, search for random house book of nursery stories...oh and in the story "lazy jack" the mother calls her son stupid-I usually edit...

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Engelbreits-Fairy-Tales-Treasures/dp/0060885831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297227116&sr=1-1

*the versions for younger kids/modern versions do tend to change the endings though...like the little mermaid doesn't die in the end*

ds 6 really likes these

http://www.amazon.com/Brer-Rabbit-Friends-Karima-Amin/dp/0756618134/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297227263&sr=1-2

i'd find books you enjoy reading:001_smile:

Edited by iona
formatting issues

I love starting with the original Winnie the Pooh and Beatrix Potter. Then, we usually move on to My Father's Dragon and Wolf Story. Roald Dahl (Fantastic Mr. Fox, George's Marvelous Medicine, Minpins, Giraffe, Pelly and Me etc) and William Steig (The Real Thief) are wonderful follow-ups. One of my favorite surprises last year was The Night Fairy. One of my fave read alouds now!

Chocolate Fever and Chocolate Touch are fun, too!

Charlotte's Web and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (hmmm, there seems to be a chocolate theme) are a perfect follow-up, once they become experienced listeners.

Wolf Story

The Night Fairy

Have lots of fun. Follow your child's lead - each attention span varies!

Edited by lisabees

Another fan of "My Father's Dragon"

Even my 2 1/2 year old likes My Father's Dragon (and the two books that follow). I recently read all 3 to my 5 year old, and my younger one brings the books to my husband and I to be read pretty much every day right now. :tongue_smilie:

I started reading chapter books to my girls when they were young--maybe just 4 and 2(?). (I'm really not sure.) We've covered a lot of territory in the 2+ years we've been reading chapter books! I host a weekly meme/carnival on my blog called Read Aloud Thursday. It's a great resource for read-aloud book reviews! I've reviewed most of the chapter books we've read over the past few years.

What is the Dolphin adventure series that you mentioned? MY son LOVES ocean animals and I'd like to find more stories about ocean life to read to him. Google didn't offer much when I searched for the above phrase. Is this really a series? Who is the author? Thanks!

I'm going to guess that Holly was talking about Wayne Grover's books.

Now that I am able to type I'll expand on my earlier post.

Perhaps one of these will work as a audio book.

http://www.kiddierecords.com/

In the late 40s and early 50s lots of audio records for kids were popular. The website I linked to has 150+ of them that you can listen to via a audio stream. Some of the records came with picture books. Lots of work went into the records. Major Hollywood stars at the time played the various rolls, and they usually had full orchestra backup to the recordings.

Thank you for sharing! :)

we did many that were mentioned already, dd's favorite was George's Marvelous Medicine. i read it to her numerous times, she made her own "medicine" using anything i would let her use on many occasions, and now that she is reading she has read it at least 3 times herself.

i didn't see if anyone mentioned these yet, but dick king-smith books are also great.

My children in that age range love Amelia Bedelia books. My youngest DS has always enjoyed true stories, even at that age. Just the fact that it really happened keeps his attention. Five True Dog Stories comes to mind in that category.

They also like short story collections, Grimms, that kind of thing.

I know this question was asked a couple of days ago, but I'll chip in that Nim's Island by Wendy Orr is a good fiction read aloud that my boys enjoyed at age 5, which has a great deal of ocean life in it. It's not 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or anything in scientific description, but Nim is friends with sea turtles and seals and her father is off researching plankton, so the setting would probably appeal. And she's homeschooled! :D

They aren't chapter books, but have you looked at the five in a row books? I loved using them with mine when they were young. The books are great and I especially loved them for geography. You read the same book 5 days in a row, each day focusing on a different "subject". I always did geography the first day and then they would put the story disc on the map every day wherever it was to go for that book. As we added books they would put all the discs on every day. Soon, I learned where places where that I didn't even know. My 2 year old knew where New Zealand was because she knew where the disc went for that one. Later after we figured out to do it, I added my own books and just looked for the thinks I could teach them in the books.

I have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. Our list of what we've read this past year is here with reviews. I just started keeping track of what I'm reading to the three year old here. I made up my own reading list drawing from Ambleside Year 0, Sonlight K Read Alouds, the Hillsdale Academy K list, and the Simply Charlotte Mason Early Years list. I also added some in that I liked as a kid. Hope this helps..