Menu

agonizing over math (2nd grade)

socody

I just cannot seem to find a math program I like! I have gone back & forth between 3 or 4 different ideas over the past year. We started out with Saxon. I love how it teaches the concepts and I love how it is spiral with the concepts. However, dd & I BOTH hated the worksheets. So boring & repetitive. Plus, I will soon be adding a new k'er to our school day (not to mention a toddler & a newborn), so the long scripted lesson is often too much for me to prepare. We did Horizons this year, but without the Teacher's Guide, so it was just "Here's your worksheet-- figure it out." I like that the pages are short & colorful but it really did nothing to actually TEACH the concepts. I may be able to get behind Math-U-See, but I really want to be sure I'm going to stick with something before I make a big investment. And I don't want her to get behind. 

I feel like we are "stuck" right now on addition facts. She just cannot seem to get them into her little brain. So I guess my question is-- should I stick with either the Horizons or Saxon (since I already have most of the components) and add some type of extra practice with addition facts, or should I try a different tactic altogether. What math has "worked" for your 1st/ 2nd grader?

I'm finally having success with my dd (going into 2nd) using RightStart. We used MathUSee and Math Mammoth but she hated the worksheets and wasn't retaining as much as I wanted her to.

I know that you said you don't have the time to sit with her for each lesson, so RS might not be a good fit for that reason....

Math Mammoth is a solid program, and I have no complaints from our time using it besides my dd balking at the sight of worksheets. You might consider that.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I personally would stick with Horizons and get the Teachers Manual and use it, if necessary I would add some extra practice worksheets.

I agree with this if you like the spiral. I have been very happy with the progression in Horizons. But, you do need the TM. I didn't use mine much in the early years, but I had to go back and reexplain things because of it. The math seems so easy to us old people, lol, but the TM's have foundational info and tips which are important.

Ds1 is going into Alg next year and his understanding is high. I did add conceptual stuff here and there, but we have primarily done Horizons all the way through, and I am pleased with the results.

I am also glad I didn't jump much with math. I know many people who have jumped programs multiple times and are now struggling at the middle school/beginning high school math level because of gaps. (Of course, if a program is absolutely not working at all for dc, then it is time to change course. That doesn't sound like the case for you.:-) I know it is hard when all of the options are sitting in front of you... You don't want to make a mistake. Just remember, unless there is an organic mismatch in learning styles, your dc will learn the math with one of the more highly-regarded programs, whether you choose spiral or mastery methods, as long as you maintain consistency.

As far as math facts, just keep practicing. We used flash cards for a short amount of time daily. You don't have to make it long and arduous. The key is consistency (do I sound like a broken record, lol?) 5 minute drills each day are more effective than 20 minutes once a week. I do have a friend who has a child that has processing issues. That made memorizing math facts very slow. The child is in upper elementary now and still has a hard time. She is very bright in other ways. So, if you keep having problems, that could be something to check for.

Oh, and I think I actually have the TM from grade 2. Just pm me if you are interested.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Actually, we're just starting the 2nd half of 1st grade, so I'd need the Horizons 1 Teacher's Manual. I hate buying it when we're halfway through, but I am reminding myself I can use it again with the others coming up.

• Like 1

I would recommend the TM because that is where concepts are better explained than just the workbooks. Also, that is where they tell how to do fact memorization games, etc, I jumped ship from Saxon for the same reasons. We couldn't take the lack of color anymore, and my son would shut down staring at those fact sheets.

I strongly considered Horizons, but I found the TM lacked the explanations I needed. I preferred something more scripted. I chose A Beka for my younger son as he preferred it and then switched my oldest to it too, I liked the order in which they presented the fact families where Saxon presented them haphazardly with "oddball" facts at the end. That is where my son just dropped everything he was juggling and shut down...when they threw the oddball facts at him without any "tricks" to memorize them. He had been using the tricks as a crutch and not truly memorizing them. We were in third, so you still have plenty of time to work on facts. I found Xtramath helped him a lot this past year. He almost has addition down cold and is now working on subtraction while learning multiplication and division. He needs the spiral. And A Beka isn't always super fun, but the color makes things doable for him. He doesn't mind speed drills and even asks me to time him where he would stare at a Saxon fact page for 30 minutes. They have a lot of games too, and I would recommend finding some games to play for memorizing math facts.

I don't know if you'd need to switch to A Beka when you have Horizons because they are so similar, but that has been my experience. I'd stick with Horizons and tweak it to fit your needs and get the TM.

MUS is also a possibility if you feel they need to work solely on one thing at a time, but I prefer something more spiral with built in review. However, the blocks are great for visual learners.

I think I have learned that switching around too much can do more harm than good. I think most programs require some sort of supplemental games or flashcards drill on the side for the math facts. I wouldn't change curriculum over that alone.

ETA: Curriculum is a tool. You are not bound by what it offers alone. You can supplement with anything. I use manipulatives all the time to explain concepts even when it is not outlined. If they really like the cruise wire rods or teddy bear counters, go with that. One thing I have been doing to help solidify addition is to get out teddy bear counters and have them show all the ways to get a certain number, such as sums of ten. Then they can visualize the math facts...see the switch around or twin facts and focus on the ones to memorize. If they struggle with a certain topic, you can always pause and supplement with any curriculum.

I don't have much to add the curriculum discussion as I've stuck with Singapore even when we don't love it. I do occasionally take time off from the books just to work on facts drill and I think it's worth it. Once we have the facts more solidly the other work becomes easier because you are not trying to master fact recall and new concepts at the same time.

For learning facts we do

Car drill - every time we get in the car we do some

Board games with two dice

Ball game where you call out the question as you throw the ball and they have to get the answer before they throw it back

Cuisenaire rods play

My oldest DD is going into third grade and we have used Math U See Primer, Alpha, and Beta so far. We really love this program! We will definitely be using Gamma next year, and my youngest will be moving on to Alpha. I love that MUS makes use of the colorful manipulative blocks and the DVD lessons are great. (I know the DVDs are intended for the parent/teacher to watch, but I always just watch them with my daughters. The DVD lessons always seem to be just the right length to get the concept.) MUS also offers free online drills on their website. (We're going to make better use of that to really get facts down before we move into multiplication next year.) So, my vote is for MUS; we've been very, very happy with it! Best of luck deciding!

• Like 1

I like Rod and Staff's arithmetic. The scripted lessons only take about, oh, 10 minutes, then you give your little person her seatwork (worksheets), which shouldn't take her very long, as they are just reinforcing what you taught her face to face. And R&S arithmetic is inexpensive.

My third child is in 2nd grade. I read a few things in the back of her Bob Jones 2nd grade Teacher's Manual this year that I wish I had known about elementary math and math facts when my oldest was in Kindergarten. It would have saved me a few math curriculum switches and time. I want to share it with you.

Teaching Math Facts

Fact Memorization:

​Memorization of the addition and subtraction facts is difficult for some students (your dd is 6. I am not implying this applies to her at that age, but I think the information is helpful). A negative attitude that often lasts a lifetime begins when students become frustrated because they are unable to remember answers to facts. The ability to remember math facts is a memory skill, not a math skill. Some students memorize Bible verses easily and struggle to memorize math facts. Vital elements of memorization are understanding and concentration.

~Use manipulative to develop students/ understanding before giving them facts to memorize.

~Provide specific study times for a concentrated effort in memorization.

~Concentrate on memorizing only a few new facts while reviewing previously memorized facts. Too many flash cards will not provide the review needed. It is better to study only a few facts at a time. Practice is more beneficial when it is short and frequent.

​~ Vary the activities during the study time to include hearing, seeing, writing, and saying the facts. Involving all the sense will aid the student in the recall of the facts.

​~ Expect students to state the fact with the answer, not just the answer (2 + 9 = 11).

​The purpose of memorizing and practicing math facts is to obtain both accuracy and speed. Encourage the students to achieve accuracy first and then to work toward a quick recall of the facts.

Addition / Subtraction Fact Memorization

Frequent practice is needed in order for most students to memorize the facts. Students usually do not master the facts in a single year, but they need fact practice throughout the elementary years. It is important that understanding the addition and subtraction operations is emphasized before students begin to memorize the facts.

The parts of this information that I wish I had known years ago:

~ Math facts are not memorized in a single year, but take practice throughout the elementary years.

~ Math facts are not a math skill

~ Kids who memorize long Bible passages easily won't necessarily memorize math facts quickly.

Whatever program you use you will have to work on math fact memorization.

We have used Singapore (I loved teaching, but I wasn't good about adding all the math facts they add in the classroom in Singapore), MUS Alpha for math facts, Rod and Staff for math facts, and Bob Jones Math. My favorite for teaching and for them learning and retaining has been Bob Jones Math. It has enough challenge in word problems, conceptual math, and is a full curriculum that includes review, practice, and math facts. If Horizon is working for you though it is a great program and staying with one math really is the best option through elementary so they build and don't lose time with scope and sequence losses.

Please look at Shiller Math. It is spiral based, scripted, and fun. My 6 year old loves the short lessons (we do 4-6 a day) and even my nearly 2 year old loves the songs. It is as repetitive as you want it to be as it is completely customizable.

I love that they teach more advanced topics in a logical way early on. My son is in the 4th section of book 1 and he is learning the foundation of square roots! The addition and subtraction facts are taught in several ways so they really get it. It is a bit slower pace because of this but nothing is long. You go from one fun activity to the next so even if a child knows the point of the lesson, it is good review and fun. Or if you think your child would know a whole section you can test them and teach just the parts they need to learn. It is completely inclusive of everything you need for 3 years and 5 years of reproducibles. So it is a bargain compared to some.

My son has even said several times that he loves this math. To me that is priceless.

CLE math. Best thing I ever bought for math. It's cheap...explains concepts in such a wonderful and gentle way...its spiral. Love it! I have tried Shiller, Math U See, Horizons, Singapore, Saxon and now will never leave CLE. It is described as Saxon in workbook format. Pages are clean and uncluttered but interesting. They throw some fun puzzles in and its not pages of the same problems. Its broken up nicely to keep their interest.

• Like 2

Actually, we're just starting the 2nd half of 1st grade, so I'd need the Horizons 1 Teacher's Manual. I hate buying it when we're halfway through, but I am reminding myself I can use it again with the others coming up.

I agree with getting the TM, and you may be able to find it used. After changing numerous times I went to Horizons. It's to the point and relatively quick. I've done Saxon, Singapore, etc. Math facts will come, just work on it every day and don't stress. Xtra math is a good, free, non-game website that is not much different from sitting and doing flashcards, but you don't have to sit there and do it. :)

I can't be of much help with specific curriculum, but for memorizing addition and subtraction facts I recommend using number bonds, especially with concrete objects.  I used the "plain circle number bond" sheet on this page: http://kinderblossoms.blogspot.com/2014/07/number-bonds-in-kindergarten.html 

We used it repeatedly but in different ways...using unifix cubes, stickers, etc.  Later I gave my son a the sheet with a domino and a bingo stamping pen (http://www.amazon.com/Bingo-Daubers-Pack-Mixed-Colors/dp/B004S8HN8W) and he filled in the smaller circles with the number of dots from each side of the domino and the bigger circle with the total number of dots.  Gradually we moved on to using the number bonds with written numbers.  He is heading into K next year and knows his add/sub math fact within 20 really well (he also has an older sibling so I feel like he picked up stuff from her) and we've never done a flashcard.  

Also, model addition/subtraction within 10 on your fingers whenever you think to do so!  I think it helps them realize they always have a concrete object 10 set with them :) 

Good luck!

My older two are successfully using Horizons with very little explanation - but they are both math-inclined.  For my rising (not-so-mathy) 2nd grader I am planning to move him to CLE.  I've already moved him to CLE for LA and it has been a good fit.  Spiral, but not too overwhelming with clear instruction. 

That said, I love Horizons and my other children have been really successful with it.  If you'd like to stick with it, maybe your could just take a break and focus on fact learning before moving on.   

My children are using Math Mammoth. My dd is grade 1 and my son is grade 5. As mentioned above, Math Mammoth is a very solid program. I only took my children out of school in February but my dd is going to finish both grade 1 books this coming week. MM is taught to the student as mentioned above and therefore doesn't have a teacher's manual. I feel this is a negative. I felt that some things, it brushed over too quickly and not enough practice on the topic. On the positive notes for her, she has grasps so much in mental maths and thinking skills. Her only struggle is word problems, the student is just given word problems and I felt there could have been a lesson for them on extracting the data and how to break it down. For the earlier years, it's not so much an issue without a teacher's manual but for there upper stages, I would feel better having a teacher's manual. 

For my son's use of MM, there is a lot that I have had to research to get better examples and to find out how they actually got the answer they did. This is especially true for the fractions chapter in book 5b. I would have been really good to explain how and what they did to get the answers. Regardless, I'm not a math whiz! lol.

Math Mammoth is good, I feel it has set them up for the grade 2 and grade 6 so can't really knock it. Both my children are very good at math now. I still have the program if needed for the future but come Sept, we are using Bob Jones Math. I like that it has a teacher manual and the workbooks are more engaging and colourful. I've gone through our Bob Jones books to get ready and it seems like MM is slightly more advanced (not much) but Bob Jones seems to go more in depth on each topic compared to MM. So we are really looking forward to jumping into our math books come Sept. Ok, I am!