Menu

Any knitters want to start a shawl KAL with me?

Halcyon

Either a social group or i can just post a new thread each week. ANother one i was considering was Dunes, which looks beautiful (and I love rectangular shawls) but would likely take a while. Here's the link if you want to look at it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dunes

I need to figure out which yarn i want to use--definitely want to use my stash!

BTW I thought I'd mention in case you want something that wraps around your friend's shoulders--as written this is more of a scarf/kerchief. If you want something more shawl-like you'll probably want to add more sections

I made one awhile back as a gift. It is small. Like use as a hair kerchief sized, which if done with a really soft yarn, might be really appreciated by a chemo patient!

• Like 1

BTW I thought I'd mention in case you want something that wraps around your friend's shoulders--as written this is more of a scarf/kerchief. If you want something more shawl-like you'll probably want to add more sections

Yes, I will be making it larger. And i will likely be using worsted weight and not fingering, so it should be bigger, right? 

I made one awhile back as a gift. It is small. Like use as a hair kerchief sized, which if done with a really soft yarn, might be really appreciated by a chemo patient!

Hmmm...it says it blocks out to 54 inches by 15? And i i make it bigger, I think it would be a shawl, no? Thanks!

I would love to. This is in my queue. What yarns would y'all recommend? I have Michael's and Jo Ann's close by.

I used Paton's Classic DK. Looks like Caron Simply Soft was the most popular Big Box Store yarn followed by Red Heart Unforgettable. I think either of these would work well.

Ooh, I just saw some projects were done in Lion Brand Heartland. I love that yarn--so soft and the colors are great! You might look at that one too.

• Like 1

Yes, I will be making it larger. And i will likely be using worsted weight and not fingering, so it should be bigger, right? 

The pattern is for DK on US8 so using a worsted will make it slightly larger but not lots. I used Patons DK and blocked it out to 59" but found it more suitable for a scarf rather than a shawl. I'm a big person with broad shoulders, though, so ymmv.

The pattern is for DK on US8 so using a worsted will make it slightly larger but not lots. I used Patons DK and blocked it out to 59" but found it more suitable for a scarf rather than a shawl. I'm a big person with broad shoulders, though, so ymmv.

Thanks for the heads ip. I will deifnitely be making this larger. 

Absolutely. I need to choose a yarn too from my stash. I want something super soft...maybe Frog Tree Alpaca Sportweight, or KnitPicks Swish Worsted.

Thanks!!

I like both of your yarns - I've knit with the Frog Tree and have heard good things about the Swish.

I've decided to knit a Foxy Loop using a one-of-a-kind skein I won a couple summers ago - Cherry Root .

When do you want to cast on?

• Like 2

Thanks!!

I like both of your yarns - I've knit with the Frog Tree and have heard good things about the Swish.

I've decided to knit a Foxy Loop using a one-of-a-kind skein I won a couple summers ago - Cherry Root .

When do you want to cast on?

THat's gorgeous! I may have to put that on my never-ending queue LOL.

I was thinking we would cast on this weekend--today or tomorrow, whatever fits your schedule. For those who are still picking their yarns, or need to buy it, would this give you enough time?

• Like 2

THat's gorgeous! I may have to put that on my never-ending queue LOL.

I was thinking we would cast on this weekend--today or tomorrow, whatever fits your schedule. For those who are still picking their yarns, or need to buy it, would this give you enough time?

I could probably swing it. I have to buy yarn bc i dont have a big "stash." Today is busy but tomorrow all the LYS are closed. If I want something special, not from a BBCS, I'd have to decide quickly and get gettin'.

We're going to do the first one you posted, right?

• Like 1

Very pretty but because of the lace I think it would require a fingering weight.  I doubt if this one will be quick!

Re: Traveling Woman. There are some projects done in worsted. They just used a larger needle to get the same lacy look. Here's a link to the ones done in Malabrigo Worsted. There are a few other thick yarns used in projects--Caron Simply Soft, Patons Classic Wool, Lily Sugar and Cream(!)--but Malabrigo was the most popular.

• Like 4

Okay, I think i picked the yarn I want to use. Is merino considered soft? I want this to be soft for my friend--it seems soft to me, but i am not undergoing chemo!

I am copying a photo from a friend's stash since mine isn't pictured on ravelry. Thoughts? Do you think the variegated yarn would look good with this pattern (you can see why it takes me forever to cast on LOL)

MtnColors_Vearfoot_Pheasant_medium2.jpg

• Like 5

Okay, I think i picked the yarn I want to use. Is merino considered soft? I want this to be soft for my friend--it seems soft to me, but i am not undergoing chemo!

I am copying a photo from a friend's stash since mine isn't pictured on ravelry. Thoughts? Do you think the variegated yarn would look good with this pattern (you can see why it takes me forever to cast on LOL)

MtnColors_Vearfoot_Pheasant_medium2.jpg

My only issue is that it's fingering weight, and I was thinking it might be faster to choose a heavier weight. But the yarn just called out to me--it's so pretty. Nevermind that I may need to buy an extra skein if I want to make this shawl larger.....I haven't shopped for yarn in a while.... :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

I looked up your yarn in the Rav database - it will look beautiful! 

I cast on last night and so far, so good. :)

Awesome! I am casting on today--DH is taking the kids on a little road trip this afternoon, so it's just me, my yarn, and the new season of OITNB. 

:D

• Like 2

I am very very slowly working my way through the Hanami Stole---a challenging choice for my first lace project but it's so beautiful: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hanami-stole

Oh my - that is exquisite! Are you doing the beads, too? 

I've done a tiny bit of lace and challenging is the perfect word for it. I recently finished a Holbrook Shawl but the pattern was very well-written and the lace was worked on the right side only. So I thought, Hey - I can do this lace thing! Well, I spoke too soon. :glare:  I cast on for this open cardi Poetry in Motion and am having a bear of a time. The lace is worked on both sides and I've really struggled with it. The project has been put in time out for now.

• Like 2

My only issue is that it's fingering weight, and I was thinking it might be faster to choose a heavier weight. But the yarn just called out to me--it's so pretty. Nevermind that I may need to buy an extra skein if I want to make this shawl larger.....I haven't shopped for yarn in a while.... :coolgleamA:

I'd go for it!

If the yarn is calling to you, you'll knit that much faster. And yarn shopping is ALWAYS a good idea. :)

• Like 3

Merino is soft. It's used for babies, against their tender bare skin. It is NOT machine washable. Not a huge deal, just be sure to tell your friend so that she doesn't accidentally ruin it. 

The pattern determines the speed. If the pattern is written for fingering, it's going to be fairly slow. A thicker yarn will yield a slightly larger, much thicker product. Fingering will have a  nice, soft, flowing effect. Worsted in the same pattern will give a warm, squishy effect. But the worsted won't really be faster. The number of stitches remains the same. 

• Like 1

Oh my - that is exquisite! Are you doing the beads, too? 

I've done a tiny bit of lace and challenging is the perfect word for it. I recently finished a Holbrook Shawl but the pattern was very well-written and the lace was worked on the right side only. So I thought, Hey - I can do this lace thing! Well, I spoke too soon. :glare:  I cast on for this open cardi Poetry in Motion and am having a bear of a time. The lace is worked on both sides and I've really struggled with it. The project has been put in time out for now.

that is a gorgeous cardi. Yes, I have done the beads on the cast on, and it looks lovely. I put it in hibernation for a while, so just figuring out how to restart it is a challenge. But I am determined this time!

• Like 2

I ended up buying Berroco Ultra Alpaca and the color is 6283 "Lavendar Mix."

I'm going to use a size 10 set of circulars.

http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-ultra-alpaca

I got 2 skeins because I want a shawl, something bigger than a kerchief.

I've got to wind my yarn before I cast on.

I have 12 skeins of that yarn--was meant to knit a sweater with it but....I haven't. LOL. Are you just going to do more repeats to make it bigger? I too have to wind my yarn.

• Like 1