Menu

How do I not accidently move a cockroach??

HSMWB

We are currently living someplace where 'everyone' has cockroaches.  'Everyone' does pest maintenance, but it hardly seems to help.  Anyways, we are moving.  We are moving someplace that 'does not' have cockroaches.  I grew up there and I never saw one outside of a zoo setting until I was 35 and on vacation to a 'cockroach location'.

So - how do I make sure that I do not move them with us on accident??  I see them in the garage - we have stuff in the garage.  I find them dead around the house, we have stuff in the house.  We are not sure where we are going to be living back in 'cockroach free land' and plan to put our household goods into storage for a few months while we live with relatives and find a new home for us.  I am terrified that I am going to pack some cockroach eggs or something and then they are going to infest everything. Is there a way to make sure this does not happen?

I don't know, but I don't think you can move cockroaches effectively or the entire Seattle area would be covered in California cockroaches. I think it's a question of the environment, to be honest. When we moved up here my mom couldn't worry about that (no time) and we never had a problem.

I don't know why cockroaches don't like it here. I'm assuming that there is some predator or other problem that keeps them at bay. I don't know what it is. I don't really want to jinx it but my guess is, if you could really bring them in and breed them, they'd already be all over north America because people move so much. So it's more likely that they won't survive.

I hope that is the case. But I don't know for sure. I guess you could put stuff in storage and use an insecticide bomb on it inside the storage area, if you don't have any issues with insecticide allergies or sensitivities.

If you are putting stuff in storage, take your time moving back in. Only move a couple of boxes at a time, leave them outside until you unpack, carefully shake out all clothing, etc and immediately put the boxes back outside when unpacked. Any books or Anything you are packing in paper needs to be packed in plastic bins so the bugs can't live off of eating the book bindings while you are waiting to unpack them.

• Like 4

I just want to say this is one of my all time favorite thread titles. Before I read the first post I was working SO hard to picture why it would be challenging not to move an (individual) cockroach.  Accidentally.

• Like 8

Are you down south? Are they what the locals call Palmetto Bugs? We have them. Everybody in the subdivision (everybody in the city) has them during spring and summer. The pest guy laughs at us when we ask him, during his quarterly trips out here, to get rid of them. I can literally see them marching up and down the roads and in the yards at night. I hate those things.

Are you down south? Are they what the locals call Palmetto Bugs? We have them. Everybody in the subdivision (everybody in the city) has them during spring and summer. The pest guy laughs at us when we ask him, during his quarterly trips out here, to get rid of them. I can literally see them marching up and down the roads and in the yards at night. I hate those things.

But they make great cat toys. Mine wait for the friends to come out and play every night. Thankfully the cats like to play rough so their little friends are good and dead by morning.

• Like 3

Before I read the first post I was working SO hard to picture why it would be challenging not to move an (individual) cockroach.  Accidentally.

I was trying to figure out why one wouldn't want to move the cockroach - preferably in it's flattened form. 

• Like 3

http://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade-10/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433171399&sr=8-1&keywords=food+grade+diatomaceous+earth

If they're the wood or oriental roaches that live outside and come in during the rain you don't need to worry.  If they're German roaches, they get in everything.  Get some food grade Diatomaceous Earth linked above, get a dust mask, and put some of the powder in every box before you seal each seam with tape.

When you get to the new place, have it treated first, before you move in.  Orkin is good.  Otherwise you can get the same chemicals and do it yourself for the price of one visit from Orkin. 

Between the DE, the tape, and the preventative treatment, anything that moves with you should die quickly.