Menu

Feeling In a HS Rut

OK, ladies.  I need some fresh ideas and wise counsel.  We are finishing up our fourth year of homeschooling, and while I think the boys are learning plenty and I'm mostly happy with our curriculum choices, I feel so…stuck when I think of starting again in August.  I feel like we muddle through the days, and we've lost the fun and interesting aspects of homeschooling that I wanted for my kids when we started.  

My DH feels most comfortable when we do something similar to "school at home" (working through textbooks, keeping to a general schedule, making measurable progress), and I agree with him for the most part.  The boys do do better with some structure, and DS13 is now into academics that require more textbook work, etc.  But it has become so…stale.  And the sad thing is I have become so stale too that I can't even think of how to get out of the unexciting rut we've been in.  We just do the next thing.  Woo.  I get that not every day has to be fun and imaginative and exciting, but I long for more than where we're at now.  But I don't know how to get there.

We already decided not to do the homeschool co-op we've done the last two years, so that frees up our Tuesdays for us.  I have five days now for HSing, and I desperately want to breathe some new life into our time together in August.  Any ideas?  Any book recommendations?  Any little tips to help get us jump started to something a little more…dynamic than what we're doing now?  

I'm not excited to start another year, and that makes me think we need some changes.  

TIA.

As, I started up with my fourth this year, I felt that way.  I have changed some of the curriculum we are doing.  I don't know if I can do MUS again, for example.  I think we are going to use Story of the World as something to listen to.  I am not sure what I will be doing for History, but I really want something different.    So, maybe you just need to change up some things that may be working but that you don't want to see again?

Have you been to a convention?  That's how I get my pizzazz back.  I need something that helps me set aside the last year and think about what COULD be for the new year.  I think it's perfectly fine to use your structured approach if it's working for you.  Maybe just pick *1* subject to take out of the box, kwim?  Like this year decide to do lit in an unusual way or art, and put all your shibang into that.  

Or maybe you have some values or faith or extras you like to instill?  Maybe you need some fresh materials for that?  Even if you're secular, you might like a character focus or ethics or perspectives or some such thing.  Or you might like a current events focus or debate for the year.  I had this really cool book I found a couple years ago at the library that had maybe 50 (I forget how many) debate prompts.  They were great for junior high and would be fun with the ages you have.  You could open up each morning with either current events sharing or a debate prompt!  

Are you doing anything fun for writing?  Does that thrill their souls?

Or maybe go a different direction, with exploring your state parks and resources?  Have you done tours of all the cool things you can do with daytrips?  Manufacturing, power plants, all sorts of places you could tour, depending on their interests.  

And yes, I agree, a co-op can really rob you of energy to bring that pizzazz the rest of the week.  You're doing their stuff and prepping for them instead of having freedom to pursue your ideas.  Your freedom from it may be just what you need!  Have you considered any contests, sports, teams, or volunteer work?  When in doubt, National History Day is definitely worthwhile.  Your kids would both be old enough.  Can't go wrong there, and you can begin this summer, just as soon as nationals are over.

• Like 3

How about doing NaNoWriMo in November? (writing a book in one month)

Do you do read alouds? Maybe pick a few great books to read thoughout the year or to listen to together as read alouds?

Start a book club with some friends their age? My boys are always motivated by an opportunity to learn/hang out with their friends.

• Like 1

I can understand wanting to drop a full-day coop and free up time for academics, but hopefully you still have some opportunities for YOU and your dc to get together with others. Ages 10 - 12 is when I've expanded our horizons and out-sourced more things that are great for those ages and tough to do on your own within the family (e.g., small-group Latin, poetry and writing, theatre, science, art classes, band). There is also the added excitement of sharing the results of one's  own efforts with and for others.

My dc seem to thrive with the opportunities to work with other equally motivated kids, so I have worked together with 2 or 3 families to create small group classes where we hire a tutor, lead the subjects ourselves or use instructional DVDs.As my dc get older we'll also be exploring volunteering options where the dc can gain educational and work experience in areas of interest.

I definitely support and understand the benefits of getting serious about academic studies as high school approaches, but I think a good balance of "hitting the books" and quality small-group learning and projects is important.  

What about doing some real observational science, rather than canned stuff?  That is one of the things that is possible in homeschool but not usually in conventional school.

For example, you could build a little weather center, and take observations three times a day, maybe from Aug or Sept through December.  Lots of careful measuring, observation, collecting it and recording it.  At which point there are all kinds of things you could do with the data.

Much more like real science than most kids will see in elementary school.

Or, think about something that really excites you that you could share with your kids.  We are going to seriously do some Shakespeare this year - we are seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream this summer in our local park, and my girls will read it through and do a few other things through the school year.  I am hoping maybe we can even find a few other kids to work of some scenes.  You could do something like this with anything you think might take their fancy and yours.

Morning Time has totally changed our homeschool. I have only one kid and we usually spend an hour each day reading aloud, studying composers and artists, learning all things Shakespeare, and even dabbling in philosophy. MT has made all the difference for us this year.

• Like 3

When I get into a rut it's because I'm trying to do too MUCH and to do things that are not really ME. I feel shamed into taking on things that overwhelm me.

Dialectica taught me the word bourgeois. I'm not bourgeois. Trying to be bourgeois makes me look like this. Yes, I know some of you are sick of seeing this picture!! :lol: Just be glad I haven't added it to my signature.  :001_tt2:

Top-Hat1.jpg

• Like 3

I just realized that this year was our fourth official year homeschooling (if counting from K onward).  I had a rough year due to a lot of various things, so I understand feeling like you have fallen into a rut and homeschooling isn't what you want it to be.  The only thing giving me the extra push of motivation to get through the remainder of our work this year is the fact that I have a baby coming in June and I want to be done with most things.  I agree wholeheartedly with morning time, we did that last year and it was the highlight of our day, for some reason that dropped by the wayside this year and I really missed it.  I plan on making morning time and art a large priority next year to help make our year more fun.  Not sure how that will work out in the end, but I know that when I am having a hard time fitting something in adding it to the beginning of our day usually forces me to fit it in.  Another thing that really helped me the last half of this year was being more diligent with read alouds, I forgot how much I enjoy reading to our kids.  I also second changing one aspect of your homeschool curriculum just to give you something new/exciting to work with.  I changed to SL in the middle of the year, which was such a nice change of pace for me.  The last thing that has really helped me get more excited about next year has been listening to some of the great audio lectures I found on this blog.  It has helped remind me why I am doing this, and that I am not the only one out there crazy enough to homeschool ;) .  Hope you can find the breath of fresh air that you need for your homeschool.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

Could you turn over your free day to project based learning ?  There's a book. Can't remember it. Someone else will. hopefully.

Run with some unit studies on topics your kids are really, really interested in ?

Get outside more.

Do school backwards. We sometimes do this on days when it's just got to get done, but we're both tired of the routine.

Do school somewhere else - cafe, library - once in a while.

Add in Bravewriter. Projects plus lifestyle.

Set aside an afternoon for technology skills or fine arts.

Draw up a term's worth of family field trips. 

Book tickets to a play once a term.

Run a movie discussion club. Or a book club.

Take up a new PE hobby. Indoor climbing, ice skating, hiking.

Older kids - challenge them to a 1000 - 2000 word research paper on topic of their choice.

Service activities.

Set up a Youtube channel, and get the kids to film, edit and post videos on topics you are covering in school.

Jeez, I'd be a fun mum if I did half of these things :)

Shoot.  You had me going until that last bit.  :smash:

Seriously, those are GREAT ideas.  Now could someone come to my house and implement some of them???

• Like 1

Do you mean Lori Pickert's Project Based Homeschooling?

I really need to reread this book and participate in the PBH forums...

OP, getting outside everyday has been really good for our family -- here are some challenges that your kids might enjoy:

Currently there is one called the 30x30 Challenge (by the Canadian David Suzuki Foundation) -- nature time for at least 30 minutes for 30 days!  We missed only missed one day so far.

If that is too much, Dr Scott Sampson (Dinosaur Train) has a 30 minutes 3 times a week nature challenge at his Raise A Wild Child website.

Next month (June) The Wildlife Trusts has a 30 Days Wild challenge.

All of these are free -- just a little external, competitive motivation to get you up and outside to get out of a rut!

Earlier today I skimmed an article called Homeschooling is Not a Hobby -- I went to it just now to get the link for you.  It is more about HECOA's mentoring program than I remembered, but you might find the sentiment helpful.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies - it helps to have other brains to pick.

I am super duper excited - I just signed up for three classes on TWTM online conference!  I really think they will be great for where I am at and some things we are struggling with!