Menu

What math would/did you choose for yourself?

Are you asking for publisher/authors of courses in the typical high school sequence?

What is your math background? What classes have you taken from Algebra on up? Do you think you are solid on basic math like fractions/decimals/percents, handling graphs, mean/median/mode, arithmetic, ect.?

You can start with a series like Keys to or Number Power to buy a workbook that will let you hone in specifically on certain skills or topics but they can be expensive (Number Power is $20 a book, Keys are about $16 for a set of 4 thin workbooks)

I find that the old Plato Interactive Mathematics books pack a lot of bang for your buck. You can get the series of PreAlgebra, Elementary Algebra and College Algebra each for about $4 since the books are readily available for $0.01 + shipping and those three books will contain pretty much everything you need to tackle calculus. Do NOT buy the Intermediate Algebra book. It is essentially most of Elementary Algebra with the first few lessons from College Algebra, the content is identical. The software that went with these books is now out of date and doesn't work, but the teaching within the texts themselves is solid and easy to follow. I have never used the software, only the texts.

If you go with the Interactive Mathematics series it will explain well and walks you through 23 main topics (each broken down into subtopics and tons of practice available) 6 topics in PreAglebra, 10 topics in Elementary Algebra and 7 topics in College Algebra. The books are written on a continuum so PreAlgebra has "F-Topic 1-6" where F is foundational/fundamental then starts on "Topic 1" towards the end, Elementary Algebra starts with Topic 1 and College Algebra begins with a few review lessons (that can be skipped) and starts on Topic 11.

There are answers in the back to odd-numbered problems but not full solutions, however each section has about 20 or more fully worked examples so you will get plenty of help working through the problems and doing only the odd numbered exercises will still be plenty of practice--there are more problems than most people will ever need. You can watch AoPS PreAlgebra and Algebra videos also if you want also, they are topical and go nicely with just about any series, but I can't speak to there effectiveness since I don't watch them but I keep meaning to.

Aside from working on skills using a series like Interactive Mathematics or Keys to I also suggest getting "Living Math" books for yourself, read biographies of mathematicians, you might enjoy using a Math for Non-Majors text also to broaden your view or understanding of mathematics.

• Like 2

For the last two or three years, Homeschool Buyers Co-op has offered a free-for-the-summer subscription to Your Teacher (now called Math Help). Here is a review of the program. I don't know if they will offer it again this summer or not, but it's worth looking into for personal review. I'm looking to do some review for my own purposes as well.

• Like 1

Along with the free videos for prealgebra and algebra at AoPS, there's also the free online problem-solving practice program, Alcumus.  (Don't log in to "just try it" for a few minutes when there's something else you should be doing, like going to bed.  It can be a little addictive.)

• Like 3

Along with the free videos for prealgebra and algebra at AoPS, there's also the free online problem-solving practice program, Alcumus.  (Don't log in to "just try it" for a few minutes when there's something else you should be doing, like going to bed.  It can be a little addictive.)

I'll second this.  As an adult, AoPS brings a refreshing spin to the way you learned before.  It will make you THINK, but it will do it in a way that is, well, as stated above, addictive

• Like 1

I don't know how good my math skills are at this point compared to others. I'd say very not good. ;)

I think I'll run through Ray's Intellectual Arithmetic before I begin a Pre-Algebra program to sharpen my mental math skills.

I've been through Algebra II (after Gometry), but I imagine I retained close to nothing. I was a troubled kid and hated school.

I was leaning towards AOPS, but also contemplating MEP.

If you are leaning towards MEP, you could try Step up to A-Level maths. It has 4 quick studyguides and is designed to give you a review of already learned material in order to prepare you for higher level mathematics. If you have difficulties with any of the problems, there are links that will bring you to the part of MEP where this specific problem is taught with more detail.

If you are leaning towards MEP, you could try Step up to A-Level maths. It has 4 quick studyguides and is designed to give you a review of already learned material in order to prepare you for higher level mathematics. If you have difficulties with any of the problems, there are links that will bring you to the part of MEP where this specific problem is taught with more detail.

Thank you. I'm only just learning about MEP because I'm considering it for my 4 year old, but I don't understand the higher levels yet. This helps.

Ok last year I did Math In Focus 5 with my daughter ( we worked the problems out together first and then she tackled it afterwards) and I nearly cried because I finally understood why you had to multiply the reciprocal of a fraction when you divide and other things like that. 

There were so many aha moments I can't even begin to tell you. 

• Like 1

I think Liai's is a great way to review for the teacher. It is written to adults. You could start with BCM. It will get you through all the basics and up through pre-algebra. From there the sequence would be:

Introductory Algebra

Intermediate Algebra

and Precalculus if you want to go that far.

This series is designed for Community Colleges where students either didn't do well in math during high school, or just haven't done it in a long time. They have great explanations and are self teaching and dirt cheap. If math isn't your thing, AoPS will probably be a discouraging torture that will cause you to think you can't do/teach math. I wouldn't go there or if you do and find it isn't for you, at least make sure you don't let it discourage you.

• Like 1