Menu

Costco question

Night Elf

I heard from a professional that Costco was the best place to buy a portable hot tub. I don't want to pay a year's membership fee to buy one item though. How does Costco work? Can we walk into the store and shop without having a membership card? Do they have free trial memberships that would allow us to purchase something without a yearly commitment?

One idea is to have someone who does have a membership buy a gift card for the cost of the hot tub (or even a little bit less -- there could be a limit to how much over a gift card you can spend, so I'd say get close to the cost of the hot tub).  They'll let you go in if you have a gift card, even if you're not a member.  Call to verify, but ours does.

• Like 1

The basic membership is $50 for the year. If you'll save more than $50, I would just count it as part of the cost of the hot tub. If you get the $100 membership, you get a small percentage of your total purchases for the year back as a check. I can't remember the percentage, but if the hot tub is expensive enough and you get the $100 membership, you might actually get the membership fee back as the rebate.

• Like 5

They'll let you walk around with a pass, but you need a card to purchase anything. Occasionally there are specials (Living Social maybe?) on the membership with a rotisserie chicken too. That cracks me up. Honestly, I'd get the Executive Membership. I'm guessing the cost of a hot tub would make the percentage back on purchases worth it and your membership would essentially be free.

You can have a friend buy it and you can reimburse. But Costco is so good that you should consider throwing down the $50 for a year just to see if you'll use it. Surely you'll save that much on the hot tub.

I'm pretty sure Costco still only takes American Express, check, cash or debit, but their exclusive Amex deal is ending soon, I think. Just an aspect of Costcoing to be aware of.

• Like 1

No, we don't know anyone with a membership. I'll take a look at their website. I didn't think about the cost just being part of the hot tub cost. $50 would be nothing. However, can someone explain to me why there are different levels of membership? Are there certain items that only higher members can buy?

Executive members receive 2% of all purchases back as a check. We spend enough money at Costco that this pays for our membership with usually a little extra. Executive members can also receive extra "perks" on traveling deals, early entry, etc. General prices are the same though.

you have to show a membership card to get in the door.  it's one way they cut down on shoplifting.  (they have other measures as well.)  most entering door monitors are reasonably mellow - but I've met a couple who really *really* needed to :chillpill:  :chillpill: :chillpill: . (oh-  I was going in the exit door so I could get to the return/info desk. lots of people do that.  the very uptight person made me go in the "in-door" - and walk *all the way around* to get where I was going.  I've never had that uptight of a door monitor before.)

I think you don't have to be a member to buy rx, but I'm not sure.  you don't have to be a member to hit the snack lines.  some are inside, some outside.  depends upon where you are.

we have an executive membership - and receive back in rebate far more than it costs.  (dh: Costco is our favorite store.  we spend more there than anywhere else.)

some of the hot-tubs will be online, but only some will show a price.  other's will require a membership number to give price information.

an individual membership is for one person. - must pay cash or check. (or your own amex account.)

don't remember the details on business membership.

executive membership has two people per membership (each with their own card), and 2% cash back.  currently they use amex, but they are switching to visa next year.

Executive members receive 2% of all purchases back as a check. We spend enough money at Costco that this pays for our membership with usually a little extra. Executive members can also receive extra "perks" on traveling deals, early entry, etc. General prices are the same though.

This and you get "concierge" service on some big electronics: warranty extensions, free tech support, etc. if this is going to be a one time deal and you won't be shopping there regularly, I'd just go for the basic.

If you know that you'll be buying anything big they sell in the next year, you can consider that too - major electronics all have very good prices there. And there are just these things that, if you use them and have room to keep them, are shockingly less at Costco. I'm always buying yeast there for all the bread bakers I know - a giant block of yeast there is like $5. My friend explained that it's 30 times more than what that buys you at the regular grocery store. And there's a lot of little things like that which they have - stuff that's just so much less (plus all the stuff that's marginally less).

they aren't allowed to restrict the pharmacy to members.  So, back when I was still in thinking stages I would walk in and say "I'm here for the drugs" to the front desk person.  I'm squeaky clean, so that amused me.  

I know they used to have this, so ask.  If you get the executive membership and then don't get your membership fee back, you can get your membership fee back.  Or maybe just the difference between the executive and regular.  You can get that rebate only once.  

We chose Sam's but when we first signed up we got a Business membership.  You get extended shopping hours.  They let us get cards for lots of people that first time.  There were three families shopping on the same membership and we got some serious rebates that year.  The next year they wanted a membership fee for each card.   :glare:

Costco will refund your membership, prorated for any reason.  

Sign up at the service desk, buy your item and cancel a week later.  You will only be charged one month of fees.  Be honest at the desk and friendly.  Trying to hide what you are doing or being cold toward them will still get you the same deal, but it makes the cashiers day much nicer the other way.  :0) 

It may depend on your area, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a hot tub on display in the Costcos around me, so you can just look online and see how the prices compare.  No need to worry about getting a membership until you're sure you actually want to buy one from there, and then you can do the calculations to see if an executive membership is worth it.

It may depend on your area, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a hot tub on display in the Costcos around me, so you can just look online and see how the prices compare. No need to worry about getting a membership until you're sure you actually want to buy one from there, and then you can do the calculations to see if an executive membership is worth it.

Definitely check online. I've never seen a hot tub in store either. ;)

I will say, IMO, the executive is the only way to go. (With Costco AmEx too, lol, but only until next March. )