Menu

SWB's new The Story of Science initial thoughts

I have access to a copy of SWB's new book, The Story of Science.

I like it. I haven't read all of it yet.

It is very readable. A bright, interested 8th grader could certainly work their way though it WTM style as a side along for a physical science course or as a spine for a history of science. It would lend itself well to bunny trails.

I like the way she weaves the lives of the scientists with the context of the world around them. She does this with enough information about their personal lives for the reader to see their humanity.

It does deal with the history of determining the age of the earth in a measured and respectful way.

If you student liked Mathematicians Are People books, this would be a good, more "grown up" book for them.

• Like 7

I saw it at the bookstore and almost bought it. I promised myself I'd wait to buy it until I knew I planned to read at least 3 chapters that DAY.

It looks really good! It's near the top of my must-buy must-read list.

• Like 2

Could you elaborate on that a bit more?

I hate to attach the word secular to it, because the book is better than that. It is very much about people and the process of discovery that has become science. There really is no "secular" science or "Christian" science. Just people, sometimes people of faith, sometimes not, wrestling with process of doing science.

• Like 5

Would it be suitable for inclusion in a unit on history and philosophy of science in a secular homeschool, in your opinion?

LOL. I have no idea. I will probably use it as a last class before high school science reading a chapter a week and doing summaries. My thought is to a physical science labs, add in computer science and formal logic that year. TSOS wouldn't be very time consuming unless DC does all of the connected readings.

• Like 1

LOL. I have no idea. I will probably use it as a last class before high school science reading a chapter a week and doing summaries. My thought is to a physical science labs, add in computer science and formal logic that year. TSOS wouldn't be very time consuming unless DC does all of the connected readings.

Fair enough! Thanks for your reply. :)

I hate to attach the word secular to it, because the book is better than that. It is very much about people and the process of discovery that has become science. There really is no "secular" science or "Christian" science. Just people, sometimes people of faith, sometimes not, wrestling with process of doing science.

I guess I need to elaborate some more. After reading this book, I am no longer comfortable using or adapting neutral or YEC science resources. The foundation of science is deeply set the areas those type resources gloss over or actively avoid.

Ultimately, this book is about people, which is why it works.

I really think anyone who is teaching any science, anyone who makes decisions in government or anyone who votes should read this book.

• Like 14

I guess I need to elaborate some more. After reading this book, I am no longer comfortable using or adapting neutral or YEC science resources. The foundation of science is deeply set the areas those type resources gloss over or actively avoid.

Ultimately, this book is about people, which is why it works.

I really think anyone who is teaching any science, anyone who makes decisions in government or anyone who votes should read this book.

Thank you.  This really helps.

• Like 5

Does it lend itself to reading aloud to middle school age students? Or better to wait for high school?

I think it depends on the student and how you use the book. Adding in most of the reading could make it a non- lab high school credit, I would think. The book itself is very readable, though.