Menu

S/O Comfortable Bras/Underwire Problem

earthyfamily

I recently went for a bra fitting.  She fit me as a ridiculously huge size (40J) and put me in an underwire bra.  I explained that underwire REALLY hurts me because I have a very short torso and very prominent ribs.  She basically said suck it up, it will get better. So...I tried.  The underwire literally bruises my ribs and leaves me red and sore for days.  Am I doing something wrong?

I also got some other bras in a different size, no underwire (40DDD) that fit really well but after wearing them for a while it causes a ton of shoulder pain and my fingers on that arm go numb or tingle with pain.

I'm just so frustrated. :(

I wear a 36J right now, I feel your pain. Some brands have broad underwires and some narrow and deep. I am another shorty with a short waist, and many popular brands like Panache are just WAY too deep for me. They jam into my sternum and tummy when I sit. Even when I was lighter, before this last pregnancy (I got down to a 32I when I was 145) I still had that problem. It's just physiology.

For me, brands like Ewa Michalak and Curvy Kate are cut in a way that fits my short torso and big chest much, much better. The underwires don't poke me in the armpit, either, which is a plus!

I went bra free for a year(I am well endowed) and my back/neck pain went away. I have some bras for certain outfits, but normally wear a tank top under my shirts.

Don't wear uncomfy bras. Keep looking for a good one, or try going bra free.

As far as going bra free....how does that work if you aren't super, ya know...perky I guess.  After breastfeeding three kids and all....

• Like 1

I wonder about bra free when you have prominent nipples. Even with a couple layers, it is still obvious and the one reason I feel uncomfortable doing so. But this pregnancy has me out of all my (recently purchased ) bras and I just don't want to buy more. But not sure I can feel comfortable walking around with everything out front and center (plus being busty too).

Probably a new topic question, sorry, not trying to hijack. But also not going to start that new topic either, lol.

• Like 2

If underwires hurt you I would throw out the bra and start over. I'd actually be really ticked if someone refused to take my "no underwires" seriously. Every time I've gone for a fitting they've respected that, even if they've had to say "I'm sorry, we just don't have anything that fits your requirements".

• Like 7

I got that bra at my last fitting too. I prefer this one in a 38G: http://www.wacoal-america.com/awareness-underwire-bra-wacoal-85567-p.html

As dumb as this may sound, could the shoulder pain be because your straps are adjusted too tight. I learned at my last fitting that one should keep the straps on the loosest setting. It felt weird but helped immensely.

I agree with Kiana that the fitter should have listened to you about no wires. The fitters I have had never discouraged me from what I asked. The really good one might persuade me to try something new but ultimately, the finally decision was mine.

• Like 1

If underwires hurt you I would throw out the bra and start over. I'd actually be really ticked if someone refused to take my "no underwires" seriously. Every time I've gone for a fitting they've respected that, even if they've had to say "I'm sorry, we just don't have anything that fits your requirements".

A proper fitting takes personal preference and comfort as the MAIN POINT! I would return it and make a bit of a stink frankly. They work for you not vice versa. I wear this. I do not have a mastectomy, this was just the most comfortable last time I bought bras. http://www.amoena.com/Products/Pocketed-Lingerie/Everyday/Silvia-non-wired-bra/Silvia-non-wired-bra-Nude

I got that bra at my last fitting too. I prefer this one in a 38G: http://www.wacoal-america.com/awareness-underwire-bra-wacoal-85567-p.html

As dumb as this may sound, could the shoulder pain be because your straps are adjusted too tight. I learned at my last fitting that one should keep the straps on the loosest setting. It felt weird but helped immensely.

I agree with Kiana that the fitter should have listened to you about no wires. The fitters I have had never discouraged me from what I asked. The really good one might persuade me to try something new but ultimately, the finally decision was mine.

That would make sense, but the straps are as loose as they get. :/

A proper fitting takes personal preference and comfort as the MAIN POINT! I would return it and make a bit of a stink frankly. They work for you not vice versa. I wear this. I do not have a mastectomy, this was just the most comfortable last time I bought bras. http://www.amoena.com/Products/Pocketed-Lingerie/Everyday/Silvia-non-wired-bra/Silvia-non-wired-bra-Nude

I actually did go back a couple of days later and tried to return it.  She said she wouldn't take it back and to give it more time. :(

That would make sense, but the straps are as loose as they get. :/

I actually did go back a couple of days later and tried to return it.  She said she wouldn't take it back and to give it more time. :(

Please make sure to review this business on Yelp and state what happened. I would like to make sure to avoid shops like this and I am sure others would too. 

• Like 8

The shoulder pain from no underwire is something I had a long time.  I'm a 34J.  I love my Panache Melody and Tango 2 bras, but know that everyone has to find the right one for them.  There were a few with wires that did hurt a lot when I tried them on, these did take some getting used to. I had the redness and was sore for about a week.  The reason I need an underwire is that my breasts are very heavy.  I could not go braless I get a horrible rash under them if I go that way too long.  

You may just need to find the right brand and style of underwire for you. 

Please make sure to review this business on Yelp and state what happened. I would like to make sure to avoid shops like this and I am sure others would too. 

They actually closed about a month ago. :/

The shoulder pain from no underwire is something I had a long time.  I'm a 34J.  I love my Panache Melody and Tango 2 bras, but know that everyone has to find the right one for them.  There were a few with wires that did hurt a lot when I tried them on, these did take some getting used to. I had the redness and was sore for about a week.  The reason I need an underwire is that my breasts are very heavy.  I could not go braless I get a horrible rash under them if I go that way too long.  

I have always had shoulder issues also...working through it with new bras is very difficult. I get spasms in my neck and the numbness/pain in my hands and fingers is awful. 

I just need to find underwire for those with short torsos and prominent ribs I suppose.

You may want to fit yourself as well - a lot of people simply do not do bra fittings properly. I went from a D something to an FF when I measured myself. Comfortable for the first time in, well, a long time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guideis a great guide, as is the subreddit as a whole. They also have good recommendations re: specific bras depending on how you're built.

• Like 2

Do you have any other local bra boutiques that carry a wide range of sizes? I'd look for a store carrying bands at least down to 28 (not that you need that, but it indicates a store where they buyers understand the range needed to fit women) and with a large cup range as well.

It really sounds as if you were not well fitted. The underwire should not bruise your ribs in a properly fitted bra (though it may leave you red, and it may be a bit uncomfortable for a few days as you adjust). The shoulder straps should not hurt, and they definitely should not be leaving your arm numb or tingling. The band should provide pretty much all of the support for your bra, even in larger sizes. The reddit "Bra that fits" link that Fiona posted above is a great place to start if you need to figure out proper fit on your own.

I went bra free for a year(I am well endowed) and my back/neck pain went away. I have some bras for certain outfits, but normally wear a tank top under my shirts.

Don't wear uncomfy bras. Keep looking for a good one, or try going bra free.

Ditto.   I'm not well endowed but still had a lot of pain.  Now that I only wear tank tops I am so much more comfortable.

I found bra tanks at Walmart.  The size of a bra.. but just elastic .. they have cushions in them to hide the nipples more.  ...  No Boundaries is the brand.  So comfortable and they keep the books up a little.

I too have abandoned bras.  After shoulder surgery last year, any strap pushing down is painful.  I wear tanks with built-in shelf bras.  I'm not a small busted peron (40D) and I don't miss bras at all.

I never could wear underwires -  I never could find one that didn't cut into my rib cage.

• Like 2

I've tried the built in shelf camisoles/tanks and the straps kill my shoulders....I have the same issue as when I wear a bra who's straps dig into my shoulders. Arm pain, numb fingers.

I definitely can not go completely bra-less.  Just not something I could function with.  Very OCD about those things...can't even cook something unless I'm fully clothed with proper shoes on...not slippers.

I wear sports bras because they are the most comfortable. I loved just wearing nursing tanks when nursing.

For those who just do tanks, does it hold them up enough? I hate how low mine hang. It makes me look shorter and fatter as well.

• Like 1

My tanks have about the about the same support in terms of lift as I got from a bra. That is to say - not very much but some lift. I wear only tanks with wide straps on the shoulders and they can't be tight due to my shoulder issues.

I have a couple of super comfy sports bras I wear when working out. They are both racer back so nothing touches the bad part in the shoulder.

My tanks have about the about the same support in terms of lift as I got from a bra. That is to say - not very much but some lift. I wear only tanks with wide straps on the shoulders and they can't be tight due to my shoulder issues.

I have a couple of super comfy sports bras I wear when working out. They are both racer back so nothing touches the bad part in the shoulder.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just really heavy on top or something.  Tanks never give me even close to the same support as a bra. And I always seem to spill out of the top of tanks.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just really heavy on top or something.  Tanks never give me even close to the same support as a bra. And I always seem to spill out of the top of tanks.

Yeah, I get no lift from them, and mine are unfortunately super pendulous. 

I did the Classify your breasts on Herroom -- starts here -- http://www.herroom.com/breast-separation,333,30.html -- for some ideas.

Playtex has some for large sizes that are "no underwire" but still supportive.   I think they use a fabric braid, instead.   I have one I really, really like of theirs, and I'm pretty hard to fit.

I'd love to know more about this!  Any idea what the name of the bra style is?  I know a lot of the Playtex bras have latex and/or natural rubber in them, which I'm allergic to. Thanks!

So I decided to experiment a bit and try bending the underwire in the bra that I was fitted with. (I figured I couldn't wear it anyways and the fitter wouldn't take it as a return, so what harm would it do.) I widened the base of it a bit, and now it feels amazing on my ribs. No more digging into my ribs. It does poke into my underarms now though and doesn't lay flat against the center (sternum?) of my chest anymore....but it's a start. I hate to have to do this to all of my bras....but there aren't a lot of places around here that sell as large as size as what I need and I'm afraid to purchase online. :/

Don't be afraid to purchase online.  I've had better luck with them taking things back shopping online than I ever had with a store.  Now that I've found a brand and style that fits well and is comfortable I buy all my bras from Amazon.  

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to purchase online.  I've had better luck with them taking things back shopping online than I ever had with a store.  Now that I've found a brand and style that fits well and is comfortable I buy all my bras from Amazon.  

I'm looking into the ones that you mentioned.  I definitely don't think they are sold anywhere locally, so I may end up having to do an online order.  I just hate the return shipping if something doesn't fit...and the shipping to me I suppose as well.  I feel like I've wasted a ton of money then.

I'm in love with the Basics by Bravado Stella nursing bra. And I'm no longer nursing. Under $25 at Target. Seamless elastic, no underwire, just enough support. I sleep in it! Great if your size fluctuates, they just stretch as needed.

I'll look for it.  Is it meant for larger chested girls?

I wear sports bras because they are the most comfortable. I loved just wearing nursing tanks when nursing.

For those who just do tanks, does it hold them up enough? I hate how low mine hang. It makes me look shorter and fatter as well.

I have a very small bust so they don't hang. I am sure it is a major factor in my decision to go braless. I totally get wearing a bra if you have big boobs though I would have to do sports bra in that case.

I have a very small bust so they don't hang. I am sure it is a major factor in my decision to go braless. I totally get wearing a bra if you have big boobs though I would have to do sports bra in that case.

I'm quite large chested, and though I haven't tried bra-free, I think what I understand about the bra-free movement is that over time, they stop hanging so much and get perkier. But you don't go from a super-structured bra to completely braless in one step--you ease into the process and your ligaments and skin and other tissues become accustomed to carrying the load themselves again, to a certain degree.

I'm quite large chested, and though I haven't tried bra-free, I think what I understand about the bra-free movement is that over time, they stop hanging so much and get perkier. But you don't go from a super-structured bra to completely braless in one step--you ease into the process and your ligaments and skin and other tissues become accustomed to carrying the load themselves again, to a certain degree.

Not sure I buy that idea. After all, when you see pictures of the topless/bra free native women in 3rd world countries they are not Perky at all.

• Like 3

The shoulder pain from no underwire is something I had a long time. I'm a 34J. I love my Panache Melody and Tango 2 bras, but know that everyone has to find the right one for them. There were a few with wires that did hurt a lot when I tried them on, these did take some getting used to. I had the redness and was sore for about a week. The reason I need an underwire is that my breasts are very heavy. I could not go braless I get a horrible rash under them if I go that way too long.

A friend of mine makes some sort of braless camisole thing that goes under her breasts so she can be braless without a rash. Vagasil makes an anti-chaffing gel that runners put on their thighs. It may help. If not, the product is a great, inexpensive make-up primer.

I went braless for years because I couldn't find a supportive comfortable bra. No, my boobs did not get perky. Of course, I'm a 34J. I'd give anything to comfortably go bra less and was seriously considering reduction surgery due to the Increasing back pain. I finally made a last ditch effort and was finally fitted correctly. I somehow went from a 38DD to a 34J. Amazing! I hated underwire before because it was the wrong size.

Sounds like you aren't in the right size. Id try and get to a specialty shop (no Victoria's Secret, no kohls, etc). If you can't, you can do it yourself. There is no adding inches to bands, etc. Once you find the right style, you'll probably never ever want to try a different bra/brand/style again. The difference is amazing. I don't buy online only because I have a great little shop near my parent's house and I want to support them.

I went braless for years because I couldn't find a supportive comfortable bra. No, my boobs did not get perky. Of course, I'm a 34J. I'd give anything to comfortably go bra less and was seriously considering reduction surgery due to the Increasing back pain. I finally made a last ditch effort and was finally fitted correctly. I somehow went from a 38DD to a 34J. Amazing! I hated underwire before because it was the wrong size.

Sounds like you aren't in the right size. Id try and get to a specialty shop (no Victoria's Secret, no kohls, etc). If you can't, you can do it yourself. There is no adding inches to bands, etc. Once you find the right style, you'll probably never ever want to try a different bra/brand/style again. The difference is amazing. I don't buy online only because I have a great little shop near my parent's house and I want to support them.

I was fitted in a local shop, not a chain like VS or Kohl's.  All the reviews I read, said that she did a great job of fitting. Obviously, if they were still open, my review would be a bit different.  She says I'm a 40J...according to my own at home measurements I'm a 40DDD.  So confusing to me.