Menu

Do you go to the park alone?

lovinmyboys

Thanks for clarifying, OP.

I took the kids to parks when it was just us. I really never coordinated with other families.

You should trust your gut, though. I'm sure you know, intellectually, that going to the park alone is probably not statistically dangerous in many areas. IDK where you live; some areas are more dangerous than others, of course. But if you felt creeped out, then maybe there is something to that.

I try not to let those kinds of fears rule my coming and going, but I also try to listen when my spidey-senses are tingling. ;)

• Like 1

In my little insular homeschooling enclave I'd say 4 out of 5 are armed in some fashion. Again, usually to deal with snack packaging, but that's not the idea behind it. It seems like it might be regional/cultural, because almost all the women I know, including the sweet geriatric ones, carry some form of weapon on their person for self defense. I'm actually more likely to leave my gun at home when going to the park than on a hike, because the likelihood of me running into animal trouble is much higher as soon as I leave the blacktop.

This is why I don't assume my paradigm of experience mirrors anyone else's. I think I'm weird :o

That would make me nervous!

• Like 2

If we want to go to a park before schools let out and don't plan with someone else to meet up, yes, we can wind up alone on a playground, but there are always people passing on the trails in most of the parks that have them. I have my cell phone in my pocket and live in a fairly low-crime area.

I think sitting in a parking lot to make a phone call or eat your lunch is much better than driving at the same time, so it's very reasonable for someone to be doing that at the park.

• Like 1

I sometimes sit at the park alone to kill time before picking up the kids from something.

I worked at a camp one summer that met at a city park and we'd get all kinds coming and going there. One guy would sit in his car combing out his wig collection.

• Like 2

Very true! Our typical park wildlife is squirrels and chipmunks. Though how big of a handgun would one need to be effective against a bear? Yikes! :)

For a bear, you should carry the heaviest caliber you can comfortably shoot, because their skulls are extremely dense and difficult to penetrate. Jacketed instead of hollowpoint is also recommended (opposite of what you'd carry for tactical shooting). I personally have a .45 because that's the max recoil I can comfortably control for 5-7 shots, which is what I'd need to do in a survival situation with a bear :)

I worked at a camp one summer that met at a city park and we'd get all kinds coming and going there. One guy would sit in his car combing out his wig collection.

:lol: - That is hilarious! 

Generally speaking (not to you, lamppost), this thread puzzles me. When did we (general we) start becoming suspicious solely because people are alone? Are we that uncomfortable with being alone ourselves, meeting new people, sharing space? Have we all given up and expected criminals to be lurking behind every bush? A reasonable amount of caution is necessary, but when did eating in one's car become suspicious behavior? I do know people use public spaces to conduct all manner of illegal activities, but if that is the norm in a particular park (and sadly it is in some), I can't imagine myself going there for recreation - I would choose to spend my time in a different place. 

The thing about public parks is that they are public. They have parking spaces so the public can come and have a place to leave cars. They have bike racks for the same reason. They have benches in various locations for people to sit down. They have picnic benches for people to use for reading or studying. This is because people are expected to spend time at the park.  If I don't want to interact with the public, I shouldn't go to the public park. I cannot expect the park to be available for me to walk on the trail, yet not available for someone else to sit on a bench to read, talk on the phone or stare into space. Nor can I expect them not to eat their lunches (in their car or otherwise). 

Edited for clarity.

• Like 7

We go to the park alone a ton.  I have gotten a nervous feeling from a particular person or two on occasion.  But not just from the act of going to the park  I always scope everyone out and notice all new comers.  However, I say, LISTEN to that little voice telling you that you are uneasy.  It's there for a reason!  

I carry a knife and mace in my purse and a gun in my car.  I take the mace in my pocket when I am without my purse at the park.  When I lived in California, I always carried mace and a knife and DH always carried a gun to parks, on hikes, etc.  Here in Montana our habits are more relaxed.  But I'm reconsidering that stance.  Just last week a delusional man took a gun out and shot at a friendly passerby who approached him to ask him if he could help him in some way.  This happened IN THE PARK we go to!  A very nice one in what I considered a safe area of town.  Sigh...  The kids and I have also taken self defense classes in which we've learned about a gazzilion ways to turn the defense into offense.  

And since off-street was mentioned..when on hikes in Montana, all of the above weapons at all times, add bear spray and DH carries his biggest, baddest bear gun with special bullets.  

• Like 2

I have not read other replies.

A couple decades ago I was an intern in an office during a summer college break.  To squeeze in some time outside on the beautiful days, I would take my lunch and my book to the park about a half-mile away and eat on a bench until it was time to go back to work.  Most days I was the only one there, and it wasn't a playground, but I see no reason why even a playground can't be a reasonable place for someone to kill a little time on a nice day.

I do and I did when my children were small. There is always a risk, and if a park were in a high crime area, I probably wouldn't. But in general, if I would feel safe in a park with a few people around, I don't feel less safe alone. There are parks I probably wouldn't go to at all, but in general I am comfortable alone. I used to takes kids camping alone and sometimes we were isolated. I didn't feel too worried. I carried a whistle, and a couple of times I took a blow horn.

I know several women who have been assaulted in parking a lots (the mall, a ymca, and pharmacy.). No where is guaranteed safe. We do have to live our lives, and being outside at a park on a nice day is a good part of life.

And I will add that while I might feel safer with my husband, I also know people who have been assaulted with spouses. Nothing is risk free.

wow. those you who are armed ... wow.  :eek: That's just so alien to me.

I do sometimes go alone though now odds are I'd have at least one dog. My malamute/gsd is quite protective of me & looks imposing. My setter is not protective and not imposing. My Bear looks like a bear but he falls over from old age so not really imposing anymore.  I can't say I've ever felt threatened by anyone in a park.

FWIW, I regularly see coyotes. I have seen bears just a few houses down from mine. I walk in huge forest parks on fairly secluded trails. I have a whistle on my keychain but that's it.

If there are signs that a bear is in the area, we make sure to jingle as we walk.

The only time I'd reconsider going into an area is if a cougar had been coming close to people.

We have bear mace for camping but I've never taken it anywhere here.

Yes, and I don't get why it would be threatening to see someone else parked there to eat, read, or even just sit. It's a public place.

I agree with you, even as one who was something bothered by seeing a person sitting in the car.  I attribute it to hearing/reading too many scary stories in the news, my own insecurity in my ability to care for my children, and just not thinking things through well.  Fortunately for me (and my kids) it didn't last long. 

My OP was totally confusing. I was wondering if people go places (like parks) that are empty or if they are nervous if they are in an isolated area alone. I have never been nervous before, but this time I felt nervous for some reason.

I wasn't worried about the guy in the car, but after he left I realized how alone we were and it made me uncomfortable. Usually when we go to the park, there are a few other people there fishing, playing tennis, walking the trail. This time we were totally alone. It is a safe area, but I couldn't shake that nervous feeling, so we left sooner than we had