Menu

Quick question....Bar Mitzvah gift?

TheReader

We are invited to a Bar Mitzvah for a good friend, but he's out of state so we are unable to attend. We'd like to send a gift instead, and I read that monetary gifts in increments of 18 are meaningful, so that is our plan. 

Question is, DH would like to send a Visa Gift Card or similar, rather than an actual check. To me, for some reason, that seems less appropriate. Thoughts? 

We're also sending a little personal gift (a bag of mixed candy; long story, but it will be meaningful to him and make him/his parents laugh), but of course the main gift is the money.

What do you guys say? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

I googled "appropriate bar mitzvah gifts" and this was near the top of the page:

"Giving money in multiples of $18 is symbolic of giving 'chai' or life. Many people give money in multiples of $18 as presents to someone celebrating a birth, a bar or bat mitzvah, or a wedding.†Chai checks, or checks of any amount, are usually deposited by the parents into the kid's college fund."

I had something I wanted to buy, so cash was appreciated...

If the Bar Mitzvah boy would like cash to buy something with, the Gift card might prove problematic for him.

You may want to Google this for other Bar Mitzvah gift ideas. 

Because kids get a huge amount of money for their bar/bat mitzvah, most of it goes into savings for down the road - college, first car, big trip post graduation, etc. They may get to have some of it for spending money to buy stuff, but because all the gifts will be monetary, I'd send a check. Even if you're not giving much, I think it's better in this context.

• Like 2

I see you've got your answer, but FWIW I agree with the check option, for the reason that Farrar mentioned above -- all but a very small portion of the money is almost certainly going to go straight into the bank, so a check makes more sense.  The small personal gift sounds perfect, too, BTW.