Menu

Resource overkill....? :)

I was just wondering how many out there over-acquire resources?

I was cleaning off shelves and realized that through various used book sources (including other homeschool parents) I have acquired the following resources for Pre-Algebra or Algebra I:

CLE 700, 800, Algebra I

Key to Algebra

LOF Basic Algebra

AGS Pre-Algebra and Algebra

Dolciani's Pre-Algebra An Accelerated Course

Jacobs Elementary Algebra

Foerster's Algebra I

Zaccaro Real World Algebra

Glencoe Algebra I

I own the bolded above, plus, Aops Intro to Algebra, Aops Intermediate Algebra, Saxon 8/7, Saxon Algebra 1/2, Saxon Algebra 1, Jousting Armadillos series, LOF pre-Algebra with Economics, LOF pre-Algebra with Biology, and about a dozen workbooks.  :o

I'm equally likely to read a math book for fun, as I am to read a novel.  :D

• Like 1

Shall I mention Elementary math, just for kicks?

Math In Focus

Math on the Level

Math Mammoth

CLE Math

LOF

Beast Academy

Zaccaro's Primary Grade Challenge Math

Harcourt 3rd, 4th & 5th grade math textbooks

MUS

Key to Fractions, Decimals, Percents, Metric

1 zillion supplements

Keep in mind these are the ones I still have.  This does not include all that I have owned....   :)

ETA, what's really dumb is I periodically regret letting go of the ones I did get rid of (like Saxon), not because I think we would use them again, but when someone is asking a question about something or referring to something from that resource I wish I still had it so I could look at it....  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

How about not just rooms full of shelves but a hard-drive chocked with downloads.

Which either hide in the computer, or become printouts that need a home.

There are some gems there and some are no longer available.

But downloads are easier to go on feeding frenzys with.

Particularly from this continent.

• Like 2

How about not just rooms full of shelves but a hard-drive chocked with downloads.

Which either hide in the computer, or become printouts that need a home.

There are some gems there and some are no longer available.

But downloads are easier to go on feeding frenzys with.

Particularly from this continent.

:iagree:

And then it becomes a challenge to sort them and remember what might still be useful.  

• Like 2

We are keeping alive the wonder of the Mechanics' Institutes

"Mechanics' Institutes are educational establishments, originally formed to provide adult education, particularly in technical subjects, to working men. As such, they were often funded by local industrialists on the grounds that they would ultimately benefit from having more knowledgeable and skilled employees (such philanthropy was shown by, among others, Robert Stephenson, James Nasmyth, John Davis Barnett and Joseph Whitworth). The Mechanics' Institutes were used as 'libraries' for the adult working class, and provided them with an alternative pastime to gambling and drinking in pubs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics%27_Institutes

Institutes that provide a wealth of resources for motivated self-education.

(Looks like I've institutionalised myself).

• Like 3

We are keeping alive the wonder of the Mechanics' Institutes

"Mechanics' Institutes are educational establishments, originally formed to provide adult education, particularly in technical subjects, to working men. As such, they were often funded by local industrialists on the grounds that they would ultimately benefit from having more knowledgeable and skilled employees (such philanthropy was shown by, among others, Robert Stephenson, James Nasmyth, John Davis Barnett and Joseph Whitworth). The Mechanics' Institutes were used as 'libraries' for the adult working class, and provided them with an alternative pastime to gambling and drinking in pubs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics%27_Institutes

Institutes that provide a wealth of resources for motivated self-education.

(Looks like I've institutionalised myself).

:laugh:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Within all my resources from my Aunt, the retired school teacher, I had found these large plastic fish. Four in primary colors. My goal is to weed these piles out and just keep what I want. Well, I laughed at the weird fish and DH and I tried our best to come up with their purpose. My best guess was they were for a Dr. Suess day (one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish?) So, I messaged her asking what was their purpose? I had NO emotional ties to these fish now. I am happy to give them away so far... until she replies and say they are PENCIL HOLDERS! I run outside in my garage and look. Sure enough! Their heads come off. Now, I think that is HILARIOUS and I must keep them. I have four and I have four kids. How hilarious is it to have a huge fish as your pencil case?!?!?!?!

I obviously have more issues than resources. However, another shipment of resources arrives today! I will take a photo when all unboxed but so far, I have taken up an entire half of my two car garage with piles of books and manipulatives.

• Like 3

One can neither have too many resources nor too many fish pencil cases!

I found that I collected the most resources for history and for writing.  Though I certainly collected a lot of math books, too!  (See my ads on the Classifieds board ....)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Seriously? People do this? How odd.

Personally, I carefully research each subject beforehand and then purchase quality material used at a very good price. I have always acquired the perfect fit for my DD in each subject. And then I sell the material used at a slight profit. I thought that's what every Well-Trained Educator Mom did. Hmm.

Actually, I know someone like this. Isn't that annoying?

Come to think of it, she does have five elementary math programs on her shelf right now (some for different grades though.) but her confidence level would make you think she knows exactly what she's doing. ;)

• Like 3

Within all my resources from my Aunt, the retired school teacher, I had found these large plastic fish. Four in primary colors. My goal is to weed these piles out and just keep what I want. Well, I laughed at the weird fish and DH and I tried our best to come up with their purpose. My best guess was they were for a Dr. Suess day (one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish?) So, I messaged her asking what was their purpose? I had NO emotional ties to these fish now. I am happy to give them away so far... until she replies and say they are PENCIL HOLDERS! I run outside in my garage and look. Sure enough! Their heads come off. Now, I think that is HILARIOUS and I must keep them. I have four and I have four kids. How hilarious is it to have a huge fish as your pencil case?!?!?!?!

I obviously have more issues than resources. However, another shipment of resources arrives today! I will take a photo when all unboxed but so far, I have taken up an entire half of my two car garage with piles of books and manipulatives.

Oh please take a picture and share if you are willing! :)

And goodness those fish pencil cases were meant to be!

Come to think of it, she does have five elementary math programs on her shelf right now (some for different grades though.) but her confidence level would make you think she knows exactly what she's doing. ;)

More power to her! Somehow I don't think I carry off that vibe...:)

Although people DO come to me for resource suggestions. I certainly have enough for a nice browse!

One can neither have too many resources nor too many fish pencil cases!

I found that I collected the most resources for history and for writing. Though I certainly collected a lot of math books, too! (See my ads on the Classifieds board ....)

Regards,

Kareni

My parents were huge history buffs and never met a history resource they didn't like. I guess that's why I don't own as much for history. I just borrow...a LOT. :)

DS loves history. I wish my dad were still alive. He and DS could have yacked away about history all day long. I ADORE my mom and Mom is huge into history but not really the talkative type, KWIM?

• Like 2

received_10206634715850418_zpsonoyfser.j

20150425_123005_zpswohnq3wj.jpg

20150425_123039_zpsr6f7qndn.jpg

eta: I have to go through all of this, pick what I want and pass on the rest. I am overwhelmed. Near the back wall of the photo are tons of math manipulatives. Enough for about 3 classrooms worth. Also, I am mourning the loss of a fish pencil case this morning! DH stepped on it trying to get to another area :(

• Like 9

eta: I have to go through all of this, pick what I want and pass on the rest. I am overwhelmed. Near the back wall of the photo are tons of math manipulatives. Enough for about 3 classrooms worth. Also, I am mourning the loss of a fish pencil case this morning! DH stepped on it trying to get to another area :(

I loooove these pics.  LOVE LOVE LOVE.   :001_wub:  

Your fish makes me happy and there's something encouraging about knowing I'm not the only one living drowning in chaos.   

• Like 7

Stay.Away. She make look human, but she's actually an alien.

More power to her! Somehow I don't think I carry off that vibe... :)

Although people DO come to me for resource suggestions. I certainly have enough for a nice browse!

No. No more power to her. Powerful aliens are dangerous creatures, indeed.

Now, this?  This is real. :thumbup1:

• Like 5

Just make sure you don't become the subject of a thread like this:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/549750-do-i-respect-privacy-or-intervene/

• Like 1

Wait--we're not SUPPOSED to hoard curriculum??? Actually, I did get that memo, and as I picked up over 30 bags this past week from a friend, I've added about 15 of my own. Half of it is GONE! I looked at my table and realized that I had $1200 of TT sitting there (not all mine). I sent out three more bags today. I'm waiting for my friend to go through her shelves again and call me. Anything I can't give away here, is going to CHEC's widow's gleaning in June.

Oh cool! I am still working on purging and taking to the local homeschooler's library. I forgot about our TT. We have 3rd through 6th. Guess I will add that to my list for elementary/middle school. :) And ponder whether to turn those over, too...

• 2 weeks later...

O.k. just thought I would update since a friend gave me their old Lial's Pre-Algebra Text and I bought AoPS Pre-Algebra used from Amazon a couple of days ago.  I now have a LOT of Pre-Algebra options.  :)   I started reading through AoPS last night.  So far I really like it. 

• Like 1