Menu

Proof of the value of copywork

I went to the Cincinnati convention last week and listened to Andrew Pudewa.speak about the Four Language Arts. He emphasized the value of copywork and even though I'd always read about that in WTM, it just sounded so boring. Just re-writing someone else's words?  How could that possibly be of value? So I'd never tried it. But he convinced me it was worth a shot, so I came home and tried it with my 1st grader.

She loves it. I mean, she loooooooves it. I just told her to pick a chapter book (she chose The Hobbit) and I found a few shorter sentences in it. And I can tell that she really feels like she's writing.  It's empowering for her. She asks to do copywork first thing every day now. Who knew?!? (Well, other than all you other folks who have been doing it all along just like SWB told us all to, that is :closedeyes: )

Just thought I'd share!

• Like 15

There is something about writing something out that helps imprint it on the brain.   In college I used to make one page for each class that was "Things I really really need to know". Then I'd write it out a few times.  I never really intended to do it a few times, but stuff would get added and other stuff would get dropped once I knew it cold.  I had a rule that it couldn't go past 1 page.  This thread made me realize it was like copywork.  

Today it applies to grocery lists.  I write a grocery list, and I lose it somewhere between the kitchen and the store.  Seriously, 95% chance.  I buy everything on the list anyway (well, the things I added).  If I don't write a list, I wonder around in a fog.  

But, the concept that a kid might like copywork?  I will remember that.  

• Like 2

My 3rd grader still loves copywork, she's been doing it for two years now and she still adores it. Partly I think now she loves it because it's less effortful than coming up with her own original writing.  ;)  But she still gets a lot out of it - practice with spelling, grammar, mechanics, and that ineffable feel for language and well-written passages. I'll let her keep doing copywork as long as she enjoys it (although I make her do other writing too, now).

• Like 1

My first grader hates it.  Absolutely despises it. :P She loves writing her own ideas down, and reading books, but copying something that came from a book?  Oh heck no. I make her do it anyway because she has low muscle tone and needs the practice, but it's always a battle.  

• Like 1

My 3rd grader still loves copywork, she's been doing it for two years now and she still adores it. Partly I think now she loves it because it's less effortful than coming up with her own original writing. ;) But she still gets a lot out of it - practice with spelling, grammar, mechanics, and that ineffable feel for language and well-written passages. I'll let her keep doing copywork as long as she enjoys it (although I make her do other writing too, now).

I love the word ineffable!

My Ds does not love copywork, but I can see that it helps him so much. He like illustrating the copywork and putting the finished product in his notebook.

• Like 2

That was a really great talk.

It definitely was a great talk! The day after we got back I was talking to someone at church whose son is struggling with reading in public school (she started the conversation by asking me for advice, I promise!) and I suddenly realized I was rhapsodizing and kind of sounding like I had a crush on  Andrew Pudewa! Lol

DS loves copywork. He loves writing, and says that's his time to "learn to make it perfect". 

I love copywork because it's so easy. I look at his reading for the day, pick out a sentence, and write it in his book. I ask about punctuation, nouns/verbs/pronouns, then he copies it. 30 seconds of my time, and a minute or two of his. It feels like cheating it is quick and easy. 

• Like 1

There is something about writing something out that helps imprint it on the brain.   In college I used to make one page for each class that was "Things I really really need to know". Then I'd write it out a few times.  I never really intended to do it a few times, but stuff would get added and other stuff would get dropped once I knew it cold.  I had a rule that it couldn't go past 1 page.  This thread made me realize it was like copywork. 

:iagree:  My friends in college would laugh at me because I would write flashcards up until the time of the test... thus seldom actually reviewing my stack of  flashcards, but simply writing them! I never really understood why that was so effective for me until I became a homeschool mom and realized the huge benefits of writing things out by *hand*. For early grades, it helps with the basics like spelling, punctuation, grammar, style, etc... but I think for any age it helps with learning actual content. I plan on utilizing copywork throughout our schooling (fortunately my kids don't hate it!). I even do it myself :-)

• Like 1

I do my own copywork. I have a book where I copy out favorite quotes and passages from my own reading. I love reading back through it. My child appreciates it more when he sees it is something I value in this way. It encourages him to consider the words he is reading in a different way, also .. you know, like noticing that something was worded in an interesting way or that a statement is worth writing down .. things like that. It is exciting to see it carry into his own writing (the fruit of both the reading and the copy work, I suppose, which seems to sear the model more clearly on the mind than reading alone — at least for me because my mind is a sieve).

• Like 1

It really seems like one of those things that's too good to be true4c.jpg

It totally does seem that way. But we've seen big benefits here just in the 1 week we've been doing it! Like a PP said, it incorporates grammar and punctuation and spelling and handwriting and most importantly the feel of the flow of well written language - all in 1 easy step. I'm a convert LOL!

He emphasized the value of copywork and even though I'd always read about that in WTM, it just sounded so boring. Just re-writing someone else's words?  How could that possibly be of value? 

This is so interesting!  I work in education (in addition to homeschooling) and am always amazed that "boring" so often equates to "no value" (or, conversely, that if something is entertaining, it *must* have educational value). 

I have a different view: things of value have value, and those that don't, don't (regardless of how boring or entertaining they are).  

Now, unfortunately for my DD, I place a high value on copy practice...   It's unfortunate because my kiddo hates it.  Partly because it's boring, and partly because it's not something she sees value in. (Happily, I don't factor in a 10-year-old's buy-in for things I deem necessary.  I assign it anyway!)  I found a fabulous book on Latin and Greek medical roots, and if the sass factor goes off the charts for a particular day, copy work Is assigned--period.

Last week, when I was lecturing on the marine biomes, I stopped and asked what the heck epipelagic meant.  And my kiddo shot back that "epi"  means "on," and she knew this because of her copy practice.  (And therefore she was able to to make an educated guess as to what we were studying.)  Cracked me up.  It's working!

Years ago, I was sure copy work would also model writing style and ethics in a useful way.  I spent a lot of time choosing the perfect poetry and the perfect quotes.... Honestly, I have no idea whether any of that is sticking.  I actually think reading and discussion have helped with that more than the copy practice.  But facts from copy practice surface fairly regularly, so there's not doubt it's working on that level.

Anyway--I add my vote to those who find value in copy practice, for what that's worth.

• Like 1