Menu

What is the graduation rate of your local public high school?

May I interrupt and ask for clarification on a couple comments made earlier? So, is CC requiring colleges to lower the beginning classes because the CC standards don't graduate students at as high of a level as previously? Is this a natural consequence of writing the standards aiming at the average students coupled with the belief that a college degree is necessary for most young adults?

Does anyone know how colleges view these graduation rates? Do they look at the high school of their applicant and perhaps think "Wow, the graduation rate is high but the SAT scores are lower than expected. They must have a dumbed down curriculum." Or whatever conclusion might be drawn. Do the best colleges look at these high school stats to ascertain the quality of education received, rather than just comparing the student's stats?

Does anyone know how colleges view these graduation rates? Do they look at the high school of their applicant and perhaps think "Wow, the graduation rate is high but the SAT scores are lower than expected. They must have a dumbed down curriculum." Or whatever conclusion might be drawn. Do the best colleges look at these high school stats to ascertain the quality of education received, rather than just comparing the student's stats?

Are you seeing these graduation rates as inflated because of dumbing-down of courses?  That may be true some places (although I view most of these alarmingly low), but it isn't around here.

Our local ps high school has 99% graduation rate; 97% are proficient in math and 99% in reading.  Average SAT score is 1930, Average ACT is 30.

I do imagine that the colleges must look at stats past GPA and graduation, though, because it sure does seem the case other places from what people are saying here.  The stats are pretty easy to find these days...

I just looked at a local charter school.  Their graduation rate is 90%, 71% proficient in math, 78% in reading, and yet their 25%-75% GPA is a bit higher than our school's.

Our local HS has a 97% graduation rate but only hovering around 50% for proficiency rates and in some areas are much lower than the state average. It just makes me wonder if even the top student with the highest GPA at some of these schools, even ones with decent graduation rates, even have a realistic chance to get into the most selective colleges because of the high school they attended. I remember being told when I was in HS that it didn't matter, that the colleges will look at how well you did compared to your peers, meaning the other kids in your school. Even if that was true back then, which I'm now doubting, I can't see how that's possible now with how variable all these rates are among different high schools.

And if it does matter, what about a kid who was independently home schooled through high school?

Our local HS has a 97% graduation rate but only hovering around 50% for proficiency rates and in some areas are much lower than the state average. It just makes me wonder if even the top student with the highest GPA at some of these schools, even ones with decent graduation rates, even have a realistic chance to get into the most selective colleges because of the high school they attended. I remember being told when I was in HS that it didn't matter, that the colleges will look at how well you did compared to your peers, meaning the other kids in your school. Even if that was true back then, which I'm now doubting, I can't see how that's possible now with how variable all these rates are among different high schools.

And if it does matter, what about a kid who was independently home schooled through high school?

In the average high school where I work, those who have been accepted to selective or very selective colleges have had the stats and the ECs in line with normal accepted students.  They shine pretty high compared to our average student.  I think they have an advantage - a hook - over similar stat kids coming from competitive high schools where many apply to selective schools and I think this is because they put in extra effort to get where they have vs it being the norm in their high school.

I think it's also similar with homeschooled kids for most colleges.  I think homeschoolers who have proven themselves with high stats and decent ECs have a hook at many schools, esp if coming from an underrepresented zip code, though there still are some that appear to discriminate.

I think it's also similar with homeschooled kids for most colleges.  I think homeschoolers who have proven themselves with high stats and decent ECs have a hook at many schools, esp if coming from an underrepresented zip code, though there still are some that appear to discriminate.

I used to think that as well, but now I am not so sure.  We are in the midst of the college search with my middle, and coaches are not happy when they discover that we homeschool.  The tone of the conversation does change when I cite the statistics from our public school, though. 

I think families that choose to homeschool even though they live in a district with "good" public schools face more of an uphill battle in admissions at some schools, unfortunately.

I used to think that as well, but now I am not so sure.  We are in the midst of the college search with my middle, and coaches are not happy when they discover that we homeschool.  The tone of the conversation does change when I cite the statistics from our public school, though. 

I think families that choose to homeschool even though they live in a district with "good" public schools face more of an uphill battle in admissions at some schools, unfortunately.

Coaches might not be as familiar with it as most admissions offices are today.  I suspect most who are involved with sports still choose schools (where the teams tend to be).

Then there will always be those ingrained with the stereotypes.  Having good stats AND ECs tends to help modify that.

And yes, if one lives in an area with good public schools, I imagine the sell is more difficult.  It certainly wasn't difficult for my guys coming from an area with average public schools.

May I interrupt and ask for clarification on a couple comments made earlier? So, is CC requiring colleges to lower the beginning classes because the CC standards don't graduate students at as high of a level as previously? Is this a natural consequence of writing the standards aiming at the average students coupled with the belief that a college degree is necessary for most young adults?

Our local Community College is handling the issue by trying to force the city to increase funding for adult education.  Their opinion, and I agree, is that this learning should have been covered for free as part of the high school diploma.  Our community Ed is full and doesn't have the resources to handle both the kids needing remediation and the drop outs. 

• 1 month later...

Our local high school's graduation rate is 99.7%.

I don't know how to find the college entrance rate, but I am still looking.

Our school has been in the top 2 high schools for the entire greater city-wide area since its opening.  

91% for our local high school.  That number doesn't reflect high school success, IMO.  I know that a child that has failed multiple classes can still make it up with a few weeks of summer school and worksheet packets and graduate on time.  (as happened with a relative)

Average ACT 25 (doesn't say how many actually take it though...I know it isn't nearly 100%)

Free Lunch eligible 51%

Reading proficiency 61%

Math proficiency 60%