Menu

starting Latin in 3rd grade

lgliser

I'm really excited to start Latin with my 3rd graders next year.  I am a vocal music major and Latin is my favorite language to sing in!

I'm sorry because I know there are zillions of threads on Latin curricula.  I've searched the forums and I'm overwhelmed!

What Latin do you love for 3rd graders?  And from my searching on these forums, most people start with something, and then move to something else at some point?  What's the best progression that you've found?

Thanks so much!

Memoria Press' Latin programs are great!  Prima Latina is a gentle introduction for a 3rd grader, or if you want to go crazy and make Latin a focus of your year you could also jump right into Latina Christiana.

If you like to sing in Latin, I would definitely recommend these!  The audio CD's include several songs and my kids love them.  We also have Lingua Angelica (also by Memoria Press) which is a CD of Latin songs, with a songbook and workbooks.  I wouldn't recommend trying the workbooks with a 3rd grader, but you might enjoy the songbook and CD.  Music is a great way to learn, and Latin songs are so pretty!

• Like 2

We have really liked Getting Started With Latin with my current third-grader. Next year, I think we will do the Big Book of Lively Latin 1.

This is what we have done. GSWL it's a nice introduction to the language that you can take at your own speed. It is very parts-to-whole, so everything you learn gets used right away. This was a nice precursor to Lively Latin where you memorize some chants (a few lessons) before you officially learn what they are. I have no Latin background, so this may be different for you if you already have some familiarity with the language.

I know where you are coming from. There is a lot to look at for Latin!

Memoria Press sounds like a good intro for you with your background in music to tie in.

There are many nice product supplements to add enrichment.

I would look at Minimus as well to add in some fun along the way (not the first year tho).

If you like to sing in Latin, I would definitely recommend these! The audio CD's include several songs and my kids love them. We also have Lingua Angelica (also by Memoria Press) which is a CD of Latin songs, with a songbook and workbooks. I wouldn't recommend trying the workbooks with a 3rd grader, but you might enjoy the songbook and CD. Music is a great way to learn, and Latin songs are so pretty!

When you say that you wouldn't recommend trying the workbooks with a 3rd grader, which workbooks are you talking about? I'm looking at their website and I see if I buy the package, I get a teacher's manual, pronunciation cd, and student book. Then under individual items, I see a copy book for students. Would I want that?

And you can buy lesson plans? How is that different than the TM?

Thanks! I'm looking into all of these options!

I meant the workbook for Lingua Angelica, not for Prima Latina. Lingua Angelica is the music supplement and the workbook is definitely above a beginner's level.

For Prima Latina, I would get everything except the DVD's, which is the package you're looking at. I like having the copy book, too, but it's not necessary. It goes right along with each week's lessons, and has the students copy sentences such as "Corona means crown" in cursive.

You don't really need the lesson plans unless you don't want to schedule it yourself. Basically, the weeks in the lesson plans are structured like this:

Monday: Teach lesson, listen to CD, fill out drill form (you can make copies of this from the TM)

Tuesday: Teach derivatives, review lesson, listen to CD, fill out drill form

Wednesday: Review lesson, do first workbook page

Thursday: Review lesson, do second workbook page, do copy book for the lesson

Friday: Play review games (you have to come up with your own)

We tweak this just a tiny bit, listening to the CD every day and also drilling with flash cards everyday. There is a unit test after every five lessons, but I also like to add a little weekly quiz that I do like a spelling test. I just say the word in English and he has to write it in Latin.

• Like 1

I tried Getting Started with Latin in 3rd and we became distracted and stopped. Great program. So for 4th grade we did Song School Latin 1 and 2, very doable, and my kids have loved it. They love the singing which you may enjoy as a vocal major. We may do a quick run through GSWL this summer and then Latin for Children A for 5th. With SS latin you can pick either ecclesiastical or classical pronunciation.

We started with Song School this year and next year we will switch to Latin for Children and the 5 year old will stick with Song School. It was a good choice for us because they really enjoy it, even the 2 year old, and it's one of the things they request to do every week. We listen to the CD in the car and reinforce with the grammar at home.

Loved Prima Latina with the DVD teacher and then you can move right into Latina Christiana I, which also has the DVD teacher and we are enjoying it!  We plan on following the same progression as in the WTM:

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana I

Latina Christiana II

Henle First Year Latin

Henle Second Year Latin

" " Third Year

" " Fourth Year

Do you start in 3rd and move to Latin's not so tough in fourth?

Fourth or fifth. Whenever we finish GSWL. We only do Latin two days a week, so it takes a while to finish GSWL at one lesson a day. DS1 is finishing fourth grade and has maybe thirty lessons or so left of GSWL. It looks like he will finish it early next school year. I don't have a set pace for Latin's Not So Tough, but it's roughly one book a year. DD started Level 3 in about fifth grade and will finish Level 5 this year (seventh), and I hope she finishes Level 6 next year. We found that Level 3 was pretty easy, no new grammar from GSWL, but some of the vocabulary was new, so we did Level 3, and that's my plan for DS1 as well. We will go through Level 3 faster if need be; sometimes we can cover four pages in a lesson, but by Level 5, it's only two pages, and sometimes just one, because it's a lot of translating long sentences, and I have to go over writing, math, etc. with them during my one-on-one time with each of the big kids.

Fourth or fifth. Whenever we finish GSWL. We only do Latin two days a week, so it takes a while to finish GSWL at one lesson a day. DS1 is finishing fourth grade and has maybe thirty lessons or so left of GSWL. It looks like he will finish it early next school year. I don't have a set pace for Latin's Not So Tough, but it's roughly one book a year. DD started Level 3 in about fifth grade and will finish Level 5 this year (seventh), and I hope she finishes Level 6 next year. We found that Level 3 was pretty easy, no new grammar from GSWL, but some of the vocabulary was new, so we did Level 3, and that's my plan for DS1 as well. We will go through Level 3 faster if need be; sometimes we can cover four pages in a lesson, but by Level 5, it's only two pages, and sometimes just one, because it's a lot of translating long sentences, and I have to go over writing, math, etc. with them during my one-on-one time with each of the big kids.

Thanks. Ds is a young third and I might delay for a bit longer. I have GSWL on my kindle ready though.

• Like 1

Thanks. Ds is a young third and I might delay for a bit longer. I have GSWL on my kindle ready though.

I personally find GSWL easier when they're reading fluently (and my first son is highly visual, not at all an auditory learner, so he really needed to be able to read to follow), so if he's a young third, I think it's totally fine to wait a bit longer. I actually started it with DD in third because she was begging for Latin, but there's no reason I couldn't have started in fourth or fifth and had similar results.