Menu

So how did your students do on the SAT? Just curious...

I don't know how many people will answer with actual numbers---that's often something kept private. We tell our kids to not divulge test numbers (only AP scores) nor to share income information.

I will say that DS took the SAT once (not counting the 7th grade sitting) and scored above the number he had in mind for college admission and scholarships. Older dd wasn't happy with her first score (neither was I, frankly) so she took it a second time and was very happy :)

Guess I will delete this then if no one shares this kind of info.  Didn't realize it was such a hush hush topic. 

So how did your homeschoolers do?

My daughter scored only 100 more points than your student (based on the numbers in your original post) last year as a junior. She didn't study or do a practice test. I told her not to answer questions she absolutely did not know, and to mentally prepare herself for a very long test. She was satisfied with her score (as was I), since she knew she did not need a super high score for the school she was aiming for (into which she has been accepted for the fall and also invited into the honors program).

I missed the OP with the scores so I'm not sure what range you were asking about.

I'm also hesitant to share exact numbers. I will say that they have scores at or above the 90 percentile. This puts them above the top 25% for some schools of interest and average for others. They had consistently scored in similar ranges for other standardized tests.

We don't do any intensive SAT prep. They had taken the SAT in middle school for talent search. They had also taken the PSAT multiple times. The SAT scores were as good or better than the best section scores for the PSAT across all PSAT sittings. They did take a couple practice sections.

In general our prep has been to do a lot of reading and solid math instruction, not to spend time or money on test prep classes. They barely have free weekends for the tests themselves and don't have time to cram vocab.

My house, gee, anyone could look up in our county and find out what a house is worth, geesh, are people that harsh here, I live in a house that's worth about $129,000.  Some people could even look up and see what a county employee makes.

• Like 6

What colleges is she interested in?  Check their average scores and compare.  If your student is in the top 25%, that's pretty good.  If in the bottom 25%, the school is definitely a reach.  If in the middle 50%, it could be a reach or match depending upon acceptance rate.

Average SAT scores at the ps where I work tend to be in the very high 400s (like 491 or so - remember - this is an average, not an individual score) or low 500s (like 504).  The only students who take the test are those looking at heading to 4 year schools as our local community college doesn't require them.

But again, whether your student's scores are "good" or not totally depends upon the school she is looking at attending.  For many, a total score of 2000 is terrific.  For those wanting top level schools, it's not.

Two of mine did better with the ACT.  One did equal on the ACT as the SAT.  Actually, the best student of mine never took the SAT because he just missed the cutoff for National Merit in our state and was rather annoyed at that - so purposely stuck with the ACT.

• Like 1

She did well enough to get into her school choices, I just thought that she would do "better" than what her actual score was.  She did take a prep class, but she started her period midway through the SAT and did not have ibuprofen and said it was really hard to concentrate.  She does not want to retake it and I'm not going to make her.

My house, gee, anyone could look up in our county and find out what a house is worth, geesh, are people that harsh here, I live in a house that's worth about $129,000. Some people could even look up and see what a county employee makes.

For what it's worth, I thought your question was just fine. :) Your daughter's score is very good (and higher than the benchmark for college readiness).

FWIW, There are quite a few people on this forum that I value their opinion dearly. I really rely on what others have done before me. I feel I am always looking in from the outside. I never knew any homeschoolers. I found this site on CC. I have learned the incredible value of homeschooling from you all.

I am very hopeful that DD will be able to receive merit money as I have no college savings for her. So I am trying to build a strong foundation from what I learn on this site. When I read how well your children are doing it reassures me I am on the right track.

• Like 3

She did well enough to get into her school choices, I just thought that she would do "better" than what her actual score was.  She did take a prep class, but she started her period midway through the SAT and did not have ibuprofen and said it was really hard to concentrate.  She does not want to retake it and I'm not going to make her.

My ds took the ACT and had a, shall we say digestive issue, the day of the test. It also affected his ability to concentrate and showed in his score, which was less than the practice test. He does not want to retake and I'm not going to make him. The score was enough for the school he applied to, he got a small renewable scholarship off of it, and he'd rather spend his time finishing his current classes well. 

If there were more money at stake, I'd probably force the issue. However, his scholarship is tied to final GPA too, so I need to prioritize and current classes win. 

It could be wise to rethink this and/or try the ACT.

Does the school she's interested in offer merit aid?  If so, hop on their net price calculator and toss in her scores to see what you get.  Then try entering some realistic higher scores if she's feeling well, etc.  Is there a difference?

For my oldest... he had a respectable score at one school he was interested in.  However, just a handful of points more (SAT) at that school would guarantee him 10K.  I felt it was well worth having him do a retake (he did the ACT for the retake - just to try how he'd do on that test instead).  He got the score he needed.  He didn't end up going to that school, but I suspect it also helped him with aid at the school he went to as well.

The test costs something like $50, 4 hours, plus some prep time.  If there's significant merit aid out there... well, it's simply a good investment to try for IMO.

If there's no merit aid offered (or needed), then I agree there's no need to consider a retake.

• Like 1

My house, gee, anyone could look up in our county and find out what a house is worth, geesh, are people that harsh here, I live in a house that's worth about $129,000.  Some people could even look up and see what a county employee makes.

But would you walk into a room full of strangers and poll them about the cost of their homes?  Where I come from, that would be considered impolite, as would asking someone outright how much they make.  Among people you know well, in the context of a discussion about housing prices, perhaps it comes up, but that's not what we have here.  

• Like 1

No, there is no merit aid at the school she is applying. My husband doesn't make that much and she should get financial aid as well and does have an account that her grandfather set up, but can't touch it until she's 21, it's not a lot, but would pay for two semesters if needed.

It could be wise to rethink this and/or try the ACT.

Does the school she's interested in offer merit aid?  If so, hop on their net price calculator and toss in her scores to see what you get.  Then try entering some realistic higher scores if she's feeling well, etc.  Is there a difference?

For my oldest... he had a respectable score at one school he was interested in.  However, just a handful of points more (SAT) at that school would guarantee him 10K.  I felt it was well worth having him do a retake (he did the ACT for the retake - just to try how he'd do on that test instead).  He got the score he needed.  He didn't end up going to that school, but I suspect it also helped him with aid at the school he went to as well.

The test costs something like $50, 4 hours, plus some prep time.  If there's significant merit aid out there... well, it's simply a good investment to try for IMO.

If there's no merit aid offered (or needed), then I agree there's no need to consider a retake.

But would you walk into a room full of strangers and poll them about the cost of their homes?  Where I come from, that would be considered impolite, as would asking someone outright how much they make.  Among people you know well, in the context of a discussion about housing prices, perhaps it comes up, but that's not what we have here.  

But imagine you are in a group that is specifically devoted to the broader topic of housing.

Imagine home prices played a large role in something the group members are trying to accomplish.

You might want to find out what certain people did to increase the value of their homes, so you can learn from them, or you so can get an idea how your house compares to other houses, or whether your house has a chance of being sold.

You would ask.

Nobody would be forced to answer if theya re not comfortable sharing this information, but I don't see why asking the question should be taboo.

• Like 20

LOL Its funny how widely different are our reactions to this question about SAT scores!  I don't mind telling about my sons' scores... and I know that they wouldn't care a bit if I shared them ... but I don't know them off the top of my head. It was so unimportant to us that we never studied for the SAT. As one of the other posters said we just focused on learning, hoping that the test would reflect that. 

I guess that the reason I didn't make a big deal about the SAT is that in our home school we had already written off college as being the most important goal for education. College would be a tool that the guys could use if they wanted to, and if it was needed. There are always options, even for people with horrible SAT scores.  I realized that competitive colleges were way over-priced and just not worth the money or the headaches!  Guess I've always been rather iconoclastic regarding 'established education.' 

But anyway, to get to the point. My oldest scored pretty high on the SAT, being naturally gifted in that kind of thing. Our middle son had very low scores, probably in the lower half of percentages. He is dyslexic, but very intelligent and talented (and a classic 'late-bloomer'). Last semester he graduated with honors from UNCC with a B.S. in Economics, with a great job waiting for him, and is planning to go to grad school. The oldest is graduating from William & Mary law school in May.  Our youngest son never took the SAT. He loves to read and study on his own, but doesn't want to be bothered with college; he has big plans--and is currently making a living as a voice-over actor.  

The main reason I share this, is that I want to encourage those of you who worry about the future for your kids who don't test well. 

• Like 11

No, there is no merit aid at the school she is applying. My husband doesn't make that much and she should get financial aid as well and does have an account that her grandfather set up, but can't touch it until she's 21, it's not a lot, but would pay for two semesters if needed.

It might be worth a call to the school - the financial aid office, and the admissions office - to see if there would be any benefit to retaking before you make a final decision.  These things are complicated, and even a little extra money can be helpful.

But imagine you are in a group that is specifically devoted to the broader topic of housing.

Imagine home prices played a large role in something the group members are trying to accomplish.

You might want to find out what certain people did to increase the value of their homes, so you can learn from them, or you so can get an idea how your house compares to other houses, or whether your house has a chance of being sold.

You would ask.

Nobody would be forced to answer if theya re not comfortable sharing this information, but I don't see why asking the question should be taboo.

But that's not what we have here.  We have someone we've just met asking just because she is curious.  Asking near-strangers their SAT scores or salary or home value would be taboo in many communities in the U.S.  I have no idea about other cultures.  

I am just trying to explain to the OP why she possibly didn't receive the outpouring of information she expected.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with the op's original question at the same time I can see why someone might not want to share this information.However,it's hard to draw comparisons or make inferences about things like SATs, homeschooling and college outcomes if you have no data to draw on.

In many high schools, parents and students have access to Naviance which gives detailed information on the combinations of SATs, grades and college application outcomes. This gives them a good gauge for comparison. It would be great if something similar was available to the homeschooling community. Of course, this might be a little bit more difficult since grades and curriculum are not as standardized as in a brick and mortar school.  

Currently, Parchment offers scattergrams similar to Naviance relating SAT/GPA/and college applications. However, the data is self reported so perhaps not as statistically sound as one might hope but still a good starting point.  

I

• Like 1

I don't think sharing the absolute numbers helps anyone. The person on the lower end may feel disheartened when they read about higher end scores. The person on the higher end is often accused of bragging (even when asked in person by someone she knows very well) or is accused of forcing their child to study or not letting their child have a real life.

Anyway.

Looking at one student's scores in relation to the score range of accepted students at one particular college or university is more instructive.

• Like 3

Why is it not ok to share these scores? What could someone do with the knowledge that your kid scored a certain number on a test? I don't understand why this is considered rude to ask... :confused1:

For me, as someone stated above, it's part of the privacy. The score belongs to ds, not me, and it's not really mine to share. He probably wouldn't care although he prefers more anonymity on the web than me. However, again for me, it's a privacy issue that I prefer not to announce on a public forum. 

I don't think it's rude to ask, it's also not rude to refuse to post it.  

• Like 1

Why is it not ok to share these scores? What could someone do with the knowledge that your kid scored a certain number on a test? I don't understand why this is considered rude to ask... :confused1:

I don't care if they are posted.  Many kids and parents around where I am share scores openly - usually in the process of asking for information rather than bragging, but even if sharing a brag, I'm ok with it in the same way I am when kids/parents share that they scored a winning soccer or lacrosse goal.  I don't mind sharing and celebrating with them.  It doesn't make me feel less about my kids.

On College Confidential, scores are shared all the time and no one minds.  It's helpful when pointing toward potential colleges.  If heading over there to look, beware that MANY have high scores and are looking toward Top 100 colleges, but it's not all who are there.

And I also don't care if folks don't share.  It's certainly not a must.

• Like 3

Because it is saying, "Hey, People I Barely Know, give me a number that will allow me to judge your kid's intelligence and your worth as a teacher and parent."  Because without any context, that's what an SAT score is.  

Because it is saying, "Hey, People I Barely Know, give me a number that will allow me to judge your kid's intelligence and your worth as a teacher and parent."  Because without any context, that's what an SAT score is.  

Not to me.

Perhaps because I encounter more of a variety of scores in school, so expect that on here too, and perhaps because I see the value/equality in people regardless of how well they can handle certain types of academics.  I don't particularly care if a student is the right niche for Top 50 or not, but I try to help them find an affordable niche for them.

• Like 7

Not everyone feels that way.

• Like 3