Menu

Help me plan food for this event!

klmama

I got the job of planning food for an all-day event in a park.  There are no grills or refrigeration, but we will have electricity for Nescos and lots of coolers for beverages.  Besides the obvious chips, salsa, cut veggies, and sloppy Joes, what meal food that most people like would you prepare in advance for about 100 people that won't require refrigeration or much effort once the event is under way?  There are a lot of people in the group that need to avoid various allergens, so I'd like to have a variety.  Some gluten-free, some dairy-free, everything nut-free.  If everything were free of all those, even better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  We have Costco, if that helps.  

Baked beans with allergen and gluten free sausages in it?  Make the beans using scratch ingredients so that you can avoid allergens, and then cut the sausages into chunks and add them in.  

Our family's favorite baked beans uses navy beans, canned and diced tomatoes, brown sugar, molasses, onions and salt and pepper.  Bake low and slow with your choice of sausage- or in your case, mix it all together in a Nesco and let it do it's thing for several hours, stirring once or twice. 

• Like 1

I would do a variety of cold salads that would keep well on ice, along with the above mentioned beans. ( I have a fantastic recipe using canned beans, hamburger, bacon etc.)

Coleslaw

Fruit salad

Pasta salad with an Italian dressing not mayo based

Deviled eggs

Lettuce salad with dressing on the side

I have done a turkey in a nesco roaster many times in the summer. It's easy if you have someplace to carve it.

Besides the obvious chips, salsa, cut veggies, and sloppy Joes, what meal food that most people like . . .

I got a little chuckle over "the obvious sloppy joes" as I would not have thought of those at all. I think sandwiches would be more obvious? Or taco bowls? Are you having to feed these people 2 meals--lunch and dinner? I wasn't sure when you said all day.

• Like 1

How would this work? Double bowls, with ice in the bottom one? Or do you just mean keeping them in coolers on ice until time to serve?

In ice chests until ready to serve.

If serving time is going to be over an extended period of time, the easiest way is fill a small child's pool with ice and out bowls,in there.

McDonald's will fill ice chests for free.

• Like 1

If you have electricity, can you use crockpots?  (I have no idea what a Nesco is).  If so, you could cook hotdogs in them.

We did something like this all summer long at our tournaments.  Fruit, veggies, sandwiches, snacks, etc....  Put it out for a bit when people are eating, otherwise, keep the stuff that needs to stay cold in a cooler.  

The reason I wasn't thinking of sandwiches was because of the issue of keeping the meat cool while not making the bread stiff if we made them in advance.  I guess we could make them as we eat them.  I was trying to think of ways to make this simpler, and having to have sliced meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion prepared for that many, plus mayo, mustard, etc., made it seem like more work than making a big pot of something. 

The sloppy Joes are obvious to me because MIL always serves them to a crowd.  Always.  Only she calls it BBQ. 

• Like 1

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but what nationality/type of food would be expected? Some people rarely eat stuff like black beans and tacos while others would find it totally normal.

If you can bring crockpots then you could put boneless chicken and do a shredded bbq chicken lunch.  Have dairy free bread, gluten free bread, and regular bread.  Chips.  Cut veggies.  Bagged cole slaw.

One idea for keeping things chilled while serving: A plastic kiddie pool with ice in the bottom. Put all the bowls of foods that need to be chilled in the ice. It does a great job of keeping things cool, holds a ton of stuff, and looks festive. 

Food ideas: Texas sheet cake (dessert is important); hot dogs, wings and meatballs in Nescos; salads -- lots of them, not Jello; stuff for sandwiches; and maybe corn on the cob in Nescos as well. 

One idea for keeping things chilled while serving: A plastic kiddie pool with ice in the bottom. Put all the bowls of foods that need to be chilled in the ice. It does a great job of keeping things cool, holds a ton of stuff, and looks festive. 

Food ideas: Texas sheet cake (dessert is important); hot dogs, wings and meatballs in Nescos; salads -- lots of them, not Jello; stuff for sandwiches; and maybe corn on the cob in Nescos as well. 

Do you actually put the kiddie pool on a table with all the salads in it?  Maybe our kiddie pool is larger than usual....

What is Texas sheet cake?  Is that different than a normal sheet cake?

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-4818-14-18-Quart-Porcelain-Cookwell/dp/B003AB9CSC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427394435&sr=8-5&keywords=nesco

Nesco roasters are really versatile. You can roast meat (lots of folks around here use them to cook the Thanksgiving turkey, freeing the main oven for other dishes), cook and keep chili hot, etc. 

Oh, it's a *roaster oven*!

I have one of those, but it isn't a "Nesco." :-)

Do you actually put the kiddie pool on a table with all the salads in it? Maybe our kiddie pool is larger than usual....

What is Texas sheet cake? Is that different than a normal sheet cake?

Yes, right on the table, but I would find an appropriately sized one.

Texas sheet cake is a thin cake (usually chocolate with a thin chocolate frosting) baked and served in a jelly roll pan. There are tons of recipes out there.

Do you actually put the kiddie pool on a table with all the salads in it?  Maybe our kiddie pool is larger than usual....

What is Texas sheet cake?  Is that different than a normal sheet cake?

The kiddie pool does get put on picnic tables. This is pretty much the pool we have: LINK. We actually put two of these pools on a heavy, wooden picnic table and have no problems with it. 

A Texas sheet cake is just a recipe of my mother's that is delicious. Here's a super similar recipe, which is well-reviewed: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/ (for your purposes, I'd not include the nuts, but they are a lovely addition for the non-allergic crew). 

Bake lots of small potatoes, like new potatoes, with some oil, salt, and pepper. You can have toppings or not.

Large platters of rice. Bake directly in the oven in those big aluminum pans.

Also in aluminum pans, add some onions and veggies, top with eggs, and bake. Basically baked omelettes. Avoid cheese if needed, or add if desired.

Baguette slices.

Marinated mushrooms.

Pickles.

Roasted veggies. Roast in large aluminum pans. Squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Blocks of cheese.