Menu

Can you recommend some exercise DVDs?

Meadowlark

I'm on a mission to lose some weight, and I want the best exercise videos. I do have some of the biggest losers ones, but they're getting old and I need a fresh supply for next month. I've lost 15 lbs in 30 days thanks to nutritional cleansing, and I need to keep the momentum going for next month. Thanks much!

What's your fitness level? Have you been exercising in the past or are you starting new?

I've been exercising faithfully for the past month, most days of the week. I'd consider myself beginner to intermediate. I tend to like cheerful, motivational instructors, not hard core billy blank yell in your face types.

I like Jillian Michaels.  Several of her videos are on youtube.  At least the first level.  Ripped in 30 is one and she has a yoga one.  They are all about 30 minutes in length.  Sometimes I play them muted and listen to a podcast over it because I'm tired of listening to the audio.

Walk away the pounds by leslie sansone. I have a very high fitness level when I'm not postpartum like right now. Walk away the pounds is not intense at all but doing it 2 or 3 days a week in between my more intense work outs makes the pounds shed easily.

• Like 2

I like Jessica Smith a lot. She has a bunch of full length, free workouts on YouTube and she also has DVDs available. She is cheerful and friendly. She shows different options for some exercises so that her workouts are customizable for different fitness levels. She also has quite a few different exercise "styles" to choose from (walking, ballet, kickboxing, dance, flexibility, etc).

I also love Ellen Barrett. Her workouts have yoga/pilates feel with some of her own stuff thrown in.

I also have some Jillian Michael's, Leslie Sansone, The Firm, Biggest Loser, Insanity, and a few others that I also like. I go in phases though with what I'm really into and right now I'm in a Jessica Smith/Ellen Barrett phase. :-)

• Like 1

beachbody.com has tons.  Pick the kind that works for your interests.  If you like more dance or manly or....

Alternatively, beachbody on demand gives you access to many of the programs (it's $38something a quarter).  You even get the record sheets, nutrition guides, etc.  

I'm not a beachbody coach (yet? considering how much I suggest them!), but I totally believe in the products and their is tons of support also.  

I usually do whatever is free on you tube.     I avoid anything that has fast dancing type moves.

If you like Biggest Loser, try some of Bob Harper's regular videos.  I like them because they are longer (usually 40-60 minutes), they challenge me, and they are toning - lots of reps with your own bodyweight or light dumbbells.  

I use Fitness Blender too, but they have so many videos, I don't really know how to do their program, but you can do a search for "arms" "abs" or whatever if you want to focus on something

in particular.   

I also found a few things I like on Popsugar Fitness.   I really like the girl who does those videos, she's very encouraging and friendly.

I love FitnessBlender -- all of their videos are free, and there are hundreds of them! With the variety there, it's impossible to get bored. They have a couple of 5-day challenges (here's one) to give you an idea of how you can mix their workouts to suit you. They also have some guidelines for how to make your own workout schedule using their free videos. Or you can buy (for around $8, I think) one of their 4-8 week programs that gives you a recommended combination of videos to use each day, 5 days a week.

You might love Jessica Smith! She has a YouTube channel with LOTS of free content. And she will often do challenges/rotations using the free videos. She also has downloads and DVDs available.

https://m.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

She's very cheerful and sweet and down-to-earth. And she has an adorable pug that sometimes wanders into the videos. :p

I also like Stepahnie Huckabee's Powerfit Harmony set.

I have "Strong Body, Ageless Body" by Erin O'Brien. It's pretty darn good. It does a little cardio and an a little weights. After doing this DVD for a while, I realize that one needs to have multiple DVD to keep at home workouts interesting.

Keep adding recommendations!

I like this one, too!

If anyone goes to Weight Watchers, they sell special workout kits. These are also sometimes sold at Walmart after a while. Anyway, I just got the newest one (with Suzanne Bowen -- who has an awesome streaming, subscription site) and it is really good.

Pretty sure they still exist, but looking through CollageVideo.com's website or catalog is usually how I find my new DVDs.  Some I buy from them, others I seek out online or through Amazon.  

I like Kettlebells.  I bought an 8 or 12 pound one by Danskin at Walmart and it came with a great workout.

I'm also a fan of Leslie Sansone.  Cathe Friedrich's workouts are wonderful, but a little too tough for me.

I know many people who have had great results with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred.  I also like Jackie Warner's DVDs.

If you like extreme I lost the most weight with Insanity and I believe that P90X is the best whole body workout ever put on DVD. Both are Beach Body programs, and you can probably barrow both from a friend. P90X requires equipment, but Insanity doesn't.

If you like extreme I lost the most weight with Insanity and I believe that P90X is the best whole body workout ever put on DVD. Both are Beach Body programs, and you can probably barrow both from a friend. P90X requires equipment, but Insanity doesn't.

I like your signature :-)

I'm a little afraid of insanity or px90...I've heard they're brutal!

Pretty sure they still exist, but looking through CollageVideo.com's website or catalog is usually how I find my new DVDs. Some I buy from them, others I seek out online or through Amazon.

I like Kettlebells. I bought an 8 or 12 pound one by Danskin at Walmart and it came with a great workout.

I'm also a fan of Leslie Sansone. Cathe Friedrich's workouts are wonderful, but a little too tough for me.

I know many people who have had great results with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I also like Jackie Warner's DVDs.

I was thinking of trying Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Can anyone tell me if its the same workout or are there various on the one DVD?

I like your signature :-)

I'm a little afraid of insanity or px90...I've heard they're brutal!

They are *very* modifiable. I was probably 100 pounds overweight the first time I did P90X. I did my push ups with my hand on the coffee table and I used bands instead of doing pull ups. Cardio is always modifiable of course. I promise you can do either. Part of what I liked about my extreme workouts is that I could keep doing them. I still haven't mastered them yet. I started with Cathy Smith's Project You (that was dumb), then Tae Bo (I already linked that, good stuffs), then P90X, then Insanity, then I was burnt out for 2 months, then T25, then I started a mixed martial arts thing and injured myself (I'm quite graceful), now I'm doing the workout from The New Ruled of Lifting For Women mixed with various cardio and yoga routines.

Fitnessblender is a great and free place to start.  Youtube has lots of free exercise channels, there is pop pilates and BeFit, and Tara Stiles .  Try a bunch of stuff and see what appeals to you. Keep working on making it part of your life before you start investing money.

And I am seeing more and more instructors are moving away from DVDs and downloads and moving to streaming subscriptions.

These days I am using mostly Tracy Anderson DVDs, but I have done Insanity and P90x and Bar Method and Pure Barre.  I am thinking when I am done with Tracy Anderson I will give Terri Walsh and her ART method a shot. Her beginner stuff is on Youtube on her own channel, but you can subscribe to her own site for less than 10$ a month, that is a steal for a great instructor. Tracy Anderson is charging hundreds upon hundreds for 6 months subscription!