• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I should add, mispronunciation is not a big deal developmentally, unless it is a problem. I have a kid who replaces every middle consonant sound with a /k/ or /g/. That isn't even on the spectrum of normal. It's a guttural throaty sound, which is actually harder to reproduce than the sounds he needs to. Those are the things to look for when pronouncing words, not toddlerisms.

• Like 2

On Lynn's thread:

This is not deep or profound, and I don't mean for it to be dismissive.  Is it possible that we are just feeling middle-aged?  As we travel through life, we must make choices, which necessarily entails giving things up and letting things go.  Is some of the reflection simply looking back and saying "What if?"

I dunno.  Just a thought.  Obviously, there is personality, too, because many have experienced the feeling to some degree throughout life.  Just throwing it out there. 

BTW, thank you for the link, Susan.  Excellent discussion.

I have a new theory, lol.  Maybe all the extroverted, bull-$^i++ers are so mouthy about how great they are at things, that those of us who are literalists and perfectionists think we'll never measure up.  Truthfully, we're probably more competent than they are in the first place.  :lol:  :biggrinjester:

j/k

• Like 3

Like what?

You will be pleased to know that ds13 speaks in Spanish whenever possible. I recall enough to be helpful.

Grammar terms in English are sketchy, which is why I don't what I'm being asked (like in conjugations). I will obviously use a book for intermediate and advanced Spanish. Do ya'll want to see my skeleton class proposals?

• Like 2

I have a new theory, lol.  Maybe all the extroverted, bull-$^i++ers are so mouthy about how great they are at things, that those of us who are literalists and perfectionists think we'll never measure up.  Truthfully, we're probably more competent than they are in the first place.  :lol:  :biggrinjester:

j/k

You don't seem like a literalist to me.

Most of success is determined by effort, not talent, IMO.  And nothing can be attempted without some measure of confidence.  The extroverted folks?  We aren't actually bull^&*^%$#ing.  We really think we can do all that stuff. :lol:   Seriously.  I have tried more weird stuff than most people just because I'm not afraid of looking stupid.  Now, I don't like to feel stupid, so don't ask me to deal with computer problems or balance the checkbook, but I will impulsively get two hives of bees because I am convinced I can do that stuff as well as anyone.  I'm usually surprised when I completely fail at something.

I had a mother who thought I could do anything.  That did not hurt me, for sure.  My odd father was one to tell me how I screwed it up or how it was my fault even when it wasn't, though, so that did even out the message.  They both gave me gifts, though, and I appreciate them.

• Like 3

When we were on our 3X-longer-than-expected hike in the mountains, I learned that several layers of young fern fronds make a terrible substitute for a tissue.

I anticipate that I will be very grumpy for the duration of the zombie apocalypse.

I'm imagining that wool undies are helpful un those instances.

Grammar terms in English are sketchy, which is why I don't what I'm being asked (like in conjugations). I will obviously use a book for intermediate and advanced Spanish. Do ya'll want to see my skeleton class proposals?

Sure!

"I guess if you're going to smell like anything beef and cheese would be the thing. They're two of my favorite foods at least."

He won't even be insulted properly!

• Like 1

We aren't actually bull^&*^%$#ing.  We really think we can do all that stuff. :lol:   Seriously.  I have tried more weird stuff than most people just because I'm not afraid of looking stupid.  Now, I don't like to feel stupid, so don't ask me to deal with computer problems or balance the checkbook, but I will impulsively get two hives of bees because I am convinced I can do that stuff as well as anyone.  I'm usually surprised when I completely fail at something.

This is the secret to learning language: not being afraid of opening your mouth and sounding stupid. At least, it works for me.  :lol:

• Like 2

You don't seem like a literalist to me.

Most of success is determined by effort, not talent, IMO.  And nothing can be attempted without some measure of confidence.  The extroverted folks?  We aren't actually bull^&*^%$#ing.  We really think we can do all that stuff. :lol:   Seriously.  I have tried more weird stuff than most people just because I'm not afraid of looking stupid.  Now, I don't like to feel stupid, so don't ask me to deal with computer problems or balance the checkbook, but I will impulsively get two hives of bees because I am convinced I can do that stuff as well as anyone.  I'm usually surprised when I completely fail at something.

I had a mother who thought I could do anything.  That did not hurt me, for sure.  My odd father was one to tell me how I screwed it up or how it was my fault even when it wasn't, though, so that did even out the message.  They both gave me gifts, though, and I appreciate them.

I"m not counting you bold, impulsive people in my "bull^&^%$ers.  I'm thinking of people who make anything they do sound like more than it is. 

• Like 1

Work-in-progress course proposals https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oa0ibyAw-qa6YpMVn8GvSMXNGcgpzlisRfLSBGjq_tw/edit?usp=sharing

ETA: changed link so ya'll can comment if ya'll wish. I only have a couple of sentences each so far.

I would change it to say "Spanish/English." Otherwise it looks like your advanced class is going to be 90% English. No bueno.

• Like 1