Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Heavens to Murgatroyed!

Nope. What're you buying? 

Oh, I was sure someone in this thread mentioned it.

@Servant4Christ ??

Ds11 just asked if we could do physics. I want to combine him with ds8. They'll be 9 and 12 in fall. The logic physics looks like too much writing and too advanced for ds8. Grammar physics is maybe too light for ds11. But light is better than heavy. I was looking at Sonlight, love all the books, but it's 40 min per day. Elemental science has a 5 day or 2 day per week schedule, which sounds ideal.

• Like 3

@Dianthus Nope, not me. I've never used Elemental. We're using R&S a year ahead of grade level and then likely switching to Berean Builders for highschool.

Our R&S curriculum arrived literally 3 days after I ordered and I'm forcing myself not to open it until last school year's stuff is boxed/filed and out of the way. This may be the perfect motivator to get stuff done in the schoolroom.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Oh, I was sure someone in this thread mentioned it.

@Servant4Christ ??

Ds11 just asked if we could do physics. I want to combine him with ds8. They'll be 9 and 12 in fall. The logic physics looks like too much writing and too advanced for ds8. Grammar physics is maybe too light for ds11. But light is better than heavy. I was looking at Sonlight, love all the books, but it's 40 min per day. Elemental science has a 5 day or 2 day per week schedule, which sounds ideal.

Look at Christian Kids Explore. Two days a week for middle school. 

Edit: I haven't used this.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

Soup is done!  I discovered that it is very difficult to caramelize 20lbs of sliced onions even in my biggest pot.  Eventually I took them out in smaller batches to caramelize in the large skillet.  They turned out pretty well.  Not as deep a color as they should have been, but a medium golden color and that was good enough for me.

Despite all that, it was delicious.  

French Onion Soup (quadrupled amounts)

• 4 large yellow onion (12-14lbs)
  • 2 large sweet onions (6-7 lbs)
  • 6 Tablespoons butter (3 sticks)
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme (8 sprigs)
  • 2 Bay leaves (8 bay leaves)
  • 1C white wine sauvignon blanc (4C)
  • 3 tablespoons flour (12T or 6T cornstarch mixed into a bit of the broth)
  • 4 cups beef broth high quality (1 gal)
  • 1 tsp beef Better Than Bouillon (4 tsp)
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth (6C)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (4tsp)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste (I did not add any salt or pepper)
  • 1 baguette
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil optional
  • 6 slices Gruyere cheese

Instructions

• Slice the onions into ¼-inch slices, (no thinner). They'll reduce in size quite a bit and you don’t want them to be too stringy.
  • Melt the butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Wait until it begins to foam, this allows water to evaporate out, leaving the butter more clarified and smooth. 
  • Add the onions (in batches for quadrupled recipe) and use tongs to toss and coat them in the butter. Leave them uncovered as they cook.
  • The onions will caramelize slowly, roughly 1 hour. Stir them every 10-15 minutes. As the onions caramelize, they may leave some brown residue at the bottom of the pot. Add a splash of wine and use a silicone spatula to 'clean' the bottom of the pot. Repeat as needed throughout the cooking process
  • When the onions are nearly done, sprinkle flour (cornstarch mixture) over them and cook for 2 minutes. Add any remaining wine and increase the heat to medium-high. Toss the onions more frequently. They are done when they are richly brown and sweet.
  • Add the beef broth, beef bouillon, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes with the lid cracked.
  • While the soup simmers, preheat the oven to 350° F.
  • Slice the baguette into ½ inch thick slices. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake for about 5 minutes.
  • Increase the oven temperature to 450° F. Top each baguette with cheese and bake in the oven until the cheese melts and begins to bubble and brown.
  • Remove the bay leaves and thyme stems. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Ladle the warm soup into each bowl and top each of them with the warm baguettes. Serve!
Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Soup is done!  I discovered that it is very difficult to caramelize 20lbs of sliced onions even in my biggest pot.  Eventually I took them out in smaller batches to caramelize in the large skillet.  They turned out pretty well.  Not as deep a color as they should have been, but a medium golden color and that was good enough for me.

Despite all that, it was delicious.  

French Onion Soup (quadrupled amounts)

• 4 large yellow onion (12-14lbs)
  • 2 large sweet onions (6-7 lbs)
  • 6 Tablespoons butter (3 sticks)
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme (8 sprigs)
  • 2 Bay leaves (8 bay leaves)
  • 1C white wine sauvignon blanc (4C)
  • 3 tablespoons flour (12T or 6T cornstarch mixed into a bit of the broth)
  • 4 cups beef broth high quality (1 gal)
  • 1 tsp beef Better Than Bouillon (4 tsp)
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth (6C)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (4tsp)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste (I did not add any salt or pepper)
  • 1 baguette
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil optional
  • 6 slices Gruyere cheese

Instructions

• Slice the onions into ¼-inch slices, (no thinner). They'll reduce in size quite a bit and you don’t want them to be too stringy.
  • Melt the butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Wait until it begins to foam, this allows water to evaporate out, leaving the butter more clarified and smooth. 
  • Add the onions (in batches for quadrupled recipe) and use tongs to toss and coat them in the butter. Leave them uncovered as they cook.
  • The onions will caramelize slowly, roughly 1 hour. Stir them every 10-15 minutes. As the onions caramelize, they may leave some brown residue at the bottom of the pot. Add a splash of wine and use a silicone spatula to 'clean' the bottom of the pot. Repeat as needed throughout the cooking process
  • When the onions are nearly done, sprinkle flour (cornstarch mixture) over them and cook for 2 minutes. Add any remaining wine and increase the heat to medium-high. Toss the onions more frequently. They are done when they are richly brown and sweet.
  • Add the beef broth, beef bouillon, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and thyme. Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes with the lid cracked.
  • While the soup simmers, preheat the oven to 350° F.
  • Slice the baguette into ½ inch thick slices. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake for about 5 minutes.
  • Increase the oven temperature to 450° F. Top each baguette with cheese and bake in the oven until the cheese melts and begins to bubble and brown.
  • Remove the bay leaves and thyme stems. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Ladle the warm soup into each bowl and top each of them with the warm baguettes. Serve!

It was FABULOUS! Thank you for having us!

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I think I used this at one point - maybe an early version of it.  I seem to remember liking it as it was easy to use and fairly engaging.

I've only heard this and similar reviews. 

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have a lot of sauvignon blanc left over.  Anyone want some?

I don't know what this is, but it sounds like wine that didn't come from a box, so ME!

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!

Busy, busy!!

School and work. Baby has a slumber party after school. The Mom is going to pick the girls up from school, so I don’t need to worry about that. Football team is scrimmaging tonight and DD1 wants to go to that,  but I don’t. She’ll just hang out with her friends anyway, so I guess DH will drop her off for that.

• Like 4

Morning Happy Friday.

I worked the morning yesterday for one of my teachers who had an appointment.  This week's camp is a smaller, quieter group so it was pretty easy.  I work the next two weeks of camp and the hardest part is going to be getting up early.   

Getting up yesterday was hard because I went to see the Barbie movie with oldest dd the night before.   It was really good.   Funny, yet thought-provoking, with a good message.   Probably will be taking the younger kids to see it this weekend.   They haven't gone out to the movies (or watched any on tv) in years but dd heard a lot about it from her friends and ds wants to get out of the house.   We don't know yet if dh is going to come.  

I'm very disappointed in how this summer has gone so far.  Lousy weather and air quality means we haven't done nearly all the stuff I wanted to.  We only managed a few field trips, didn't take ds driving at all (they were tearing up the road right outside our neighborhood for a while), barely went to the lake.    

And I have a ton of planning to do for classes still.  We don't start until September 11th so I definitely still have time.   

Dd has been doing math all summer but other than that won't start school until my classes start.  She's taking math, literature, science and possibly history at the center.   

• Like 5

Good morning!

It's been a rough start to the day, but coffee is kicking in and all will not seem as hopeless in the near future.  I put a couple bills in the mail, and discovered that one medical bill was incorrect due to the wrong insurance company listed which means I will eventually need to make a phone call.  Svengo.  But not today.  I'm about to run to Kroger to pick up a couple things that were forgotten and/or not available at Aldi.

A couple of the kids' friends are coming over this afternoon and then after dinner is dd20's college convocation service.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BBQ sauce is done, divided into freezer containers, and cooling in the fridge.  I octupled the recipe.

Honey BBQ Sauce       
makes about 1 1/2 Cups

6oz tomato paste   
1/4 C apple cider vinegar     
1/4 C white vinegar    
1/2 C honey   
1 T onion powder    
1/4 tsp garlic powder     
1/2 tsp sea salt    
1/4 tsp chili powder, or to taste    
1/2 tsp dijon mustard    
1/2 tsp smoked paprika    
dash cayenne

Simmer all ingredients for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches desired thicknesss.

(I had to look up the word for "something multiplied 8 times")

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! 

I have twelve more minutes of morning here in the Central Time Zone.  I took the girls to dd14's friend's family farm store.  It was swarming with people.  Apparently someone posted about it last week on tiktok and now everyone and their cousin wanted to stop by.  They had some really pretty flowers for sale which we didn't get any of.    But we got some granola and jalapenos and a couple baked goods for The Olders.

Last night at the convocation vespers service and today are kinda hard days for me.  Two years ago at dd20's first convocation service, dh was in the hospital but was showing some signs of improvement so we were really hopeful that he'd turned a corner.  But then he died the next day.  Monday the 14th is the actual date of his death, but it's the Friday night and Saturday that are hardest.  I managed to put off sobbing at the service until the very end.  A friend of dd's sat with me so I wouldn't be by myself so I said a quick goodbye to him and then skeedaddled..

It is now storming.  A bonifide gullywarsher.  Ds18 got the lawn mowed before it started, so that was good timing.  

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

So, a friend of the family was riding his bike last week and was hit by a hit-and-run driver. Dh said he actually went past that accident that morning but didn't know who it was (he was already taken to the hospital). It was their 23rd anniversary that day. He succumbed to his injuries two days later. I didn't really know him, but the family are long time homeschoolers, three graduated and two more at home. It's the youngest that is friends with Gymnast. 

In other news, K12 is pissing me off. And it has nothing to do with K12 and everything to do with Gymnast. Her attitude and lack of doing anything or desire to try is what made me turn her over to someone else to begin with.

• Sad 6

22 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I'm sorry, Renai. My kid didn't do well in K12 either.

No, she just doesn't like to do any kind of work. Not even with me. She did so little with me last year, it bordered educational neglect. That's why I've handed her off. She needs to work for someone else and realize it has to be done whether she feels like it or not. She just refuses to do work.

Parts of it worked for Dancer (she loved science and literature), but math didn't work (the teacher stopped answering her many questions, and eventually Dancer quit doing any math at all for the rest of the year).

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!

Church

We watched “Field of Dreams” last night for 80’s Family Movie Night. We were going to watch “Stand By Me” but when I rented it I saw it was rated “R” so we’re like, that’s not very Family Friendly, so we picked another one. I remember watching it years ago and didn’t think it was bad at the time. DH looked it up at on IMBD and it had the “F-word” like 18 times. Hmmm. “ “Field of Dreams” is a good movie, though. The girls thought it was a little slow, but I loved it. 

• Like 4

Good afternoon!

The girls and I played for services this morning and pre-service rehearsal was moved to 7am to accommodate the fact that People are starting to arrive for early service in earnest by 7:40!  I managed to eventually figure out that the A chord I thought I was playing in rehearsal was actually E minor and found a way to cheat a bit on the B minor chord to make it easier on my left hand which was getting tired so everything worked out in the end.

Got home and ate the rest of the French onion soup for lunch and then conked out for an hour and a half.

Last night the girls convinced me to try playing Zelda, Breath of the Wild and it was pretty funny.  I am not skilled in the video games.   

A nice, windy rainstorm is blowing through.  Imma make some rice pudding from last night's leftover rice.  I wonder if we have any raisins.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Dd20's college classes start up today.  In between creative writing and Greek she'll come home for a bit so we can all go to the memorial gardens.  I'm making a huge vat of chili today and pre-cooking some ground beef and ground turkey for the freezer.

Tonight after dinner we'll take a quick family walk around the block/park and then the girls will head off to scouts.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I started watching a Netflix show called "Fisk".  It's kinda like an Australian "The Office".  I love it.

We ate a small portion out of the Giant Vat of Chili.  I'll put the rest into freezer bags after it cools a bit.  

Useless trivia: my chili recipe contains no chili or peppers of any kind.  It's "farmhouse chili" from The Joy of Cooking.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

School for some, work for others. It’s been hot and humid. We had a weather system move through over the weekend (when I say “weather system”, I mean some clouds, a clap of thunder and a few sprinkles on Saturday night) and it’s remained humid. It was 104 yesterday. I think I am about done with summer, thank you!!

• Like 4

Good morning!

Things are getting started around here.  Despite my frequent reminders over the past couple weeks, dd17 was surprised to discover that her online chemistry class meets on Tuesday mornings and not on Wednesdays as she previously believed, lol.  Strange how once in a while Mom knows what she is talking about.

Today's cooking consists of giant pork shoulders which I got BOGO.  I'll use these for tacos de carnitas and bbq sandwiches.

Coffee!

• Like 4

I have been resisting the urge to smash the new laptop to smithereens due to the apparent unavailablilty of Microsoft office which is necessary for me to view and edit the pertinent documents that were transferred from the old laptop.  Since ds28 installed another similar program, I thought I'd just use that to start a new excel-type document.  Except I can't figure out how to do certain things on it and I am again having to resist the urge to smash it to smithereens.  The consumption of leftover rice  pudding is not helping. 

• Like 3