Menu

Ignore this thread!

I went to the grocery store. The regular one. Not the AFSA. 

Tonight we commence our Summer Family Film Festival - 1980’s Edition, featuring The Raiders of the Lost Ark.

And just for kicks, a question for all ITTers.  What would you consider to be the most iconic 1980’s movie?? If you had to pick just one. (or maybe 2 or 3, preferably relatively family friendly). I do have my list of movies we’re going to watch for the next 12 weeks, but I am curious if anyone has any must sees that are not on my list. 

Very cool. It’s an 80’s Movies Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

The Breakfast Club is what I think of as the classic 80's movie, but I guess it's debatable how family friendly it is.

Ghostbusters?  same deal I guess, could be scary for some. 

Gremlins - a little scary but love it

The Lost Boys - one of my favorites

Beetlejuice

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Any of the Muppet Movies

The Secret of NIMH is one of my absolute favorite cartoon movies

Rikki Tikki Tavi too

ET

The Princess Bride

Back to the Future

Goonies

The Karate Kid

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

War Games

Little Shop of Horrors

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Definitely The Breakfast Club, but I’m not sure how family friendly it is. Ghostbusters is on the list. As is ET and Honey, I shrunk the Kids. Back to the Future, Steel Magnolias, Dead Poets Society, too.

Oh, love Steel Magnolias. Love all the characters and family feel. 

• Like 2

When the kids were quite a bit younger we thought it's be fun to watch Back to the Future.  During the movie, dd(then 6yo) said, "I really like that word 'holysh--'!"  🤣  I think dh and I had probably only seen the edited version on TV.

I'd agree on The Breakfast Club, especially for that group of actors.  I might add The Terminator.  Because then you understand "I'll be back".  🤣 Karate Kid.  Footloose.  The Princess Bride (probably seen that one plenty).  Airplane? Ghostbusters?  ET has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks.  Scary movies - Friday the 13th and The Shining.

• Like 3

Good morning.

Yesterday's walk after a long meeting was v. unrewarding: somebody's little dog (on a retractable leash!!) attempted quite sincerely to bite me, and the owner did not succeed in preventing it from making contact with my hand. I was displeased. (And since I fully expected the guy to get the dog under control, I moved aside but didn't run. My mistake!) But I will probably continue going that way. I wish the owner a nice long binge-watching of Cesar Milan, because two episodes' viewing would teach him how to prevent the dog from behaving that way, and he was very close to a visit from Animal Control.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Sunday!!

Church!!

Two oldest girls head for camp today. Our church (youth director)decided to go to the large glitzy, not closely affiliated with our church camp this year, much to our chagrin. We did talk to the youth pastor about it and expressed our concern. The reasons, we feel, are dumb, but whatever. We are trying to be supportive parents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

When the kids were quite a bit younger we thought it's be fun to watch Back to the Future.  During the movie, dd(then 6yo) said, "I really like that word 'holysh--'!"  🤣  I think dh and I had probably only seen the edited version on TV.

I'd agree on The Breakfast Club, especially for that group of actors.  I might add The Terminator.  Because then you understand "I'll be back".  🤣 Karate Kid.  Footloose.  The Princess Bride (probably seen that one plenty).  Airplane? Ghostbusters?  ET has one of my all-time favorite soundtracks.  Scary movies - Friday the 13th and The Shining.

A lot of 80’s movies that I watched back then have some cringy moments (for parents). I loved Airplane, it is hilarious, but it is full of inappropriate stuff.  I will review The Breakfast Club again. I have the worst problems with s3xual content. Then, probably language and violence.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

A lot of 80’s movies that I watched back then have some cringy moments (for parents). I loved Airplane, it is hilarious, but it is full of inappropriate stuff.  I will review The Breakfast Club again. I have the worst problems with s3xual content. Then, probably language and violence.

I don't think I saw many unedited movies before Netflix.  We didn't have cable growing up and almost never went to the movie theater, so all the movies were TV versions.  I remember watching Gemlins a couple years back and yikes, lol.

• Like 2

Morning, Happy Sunday.

My last week of classes is this week and it's another year done.   One week off to prepare and then the first of our summer camps. 

It looks like we may get the bigger space.  We offered slightly less than our current square foot rate.  We are already paying below market, but we could stay where we are for 4 more years for only a slight increase and keep our outside area, parking, etc.   Moving upstairs means we'd be paying more fees, not have our outside area, and parking is farther away, but we'd have more space.   So, now we wait and see if the landlord goes for it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to find a hand game that they played on the snorkel boat. Everyone stood around in a circle with a hand flat and would go around and maybe tap the hand next to them?  But sometimes someone would turn their hand to the side and the direction would change and sometimes someone would make a fist and they'd skip a person.  Almost like playing Skip-bo with hands.  It looked fun.

• Like 2

I think I saw most movies edited for TV. We recorded movies on VCR when on TV and watched those. I was surprised with the language as an adult.

Actually, my kids haven't seen any of the movies mentioned above. Bad language and obnoxious behavior seemed to be a large part of 80s movies.

Even Goonies. It's fun because of the treasure hunting, but bad language, obnoxious kids and creepy kids looking up girls skirt when they are below the wishing well.

Adventures in Babysitting has a story line with pl@yboy magazine and bad language.

How about Big with Tom Hanks?

Bill & Ted's adventure (never saw this)

Maybe watch them all with Clearplay? 

• Like 3

DS did fine at his recital. (His piece was a jazz duet and he chose, somewhat to my surprise, to do the piano part and have his teacher do the drum part.) The kids were all cute, and there was a good variety of music.

Now we Monday! Have a great day, everybody.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!

Summer vacation is here. I do have one more thing to wrap up for work, though, but hopefully that won’t develop into a problem.

Today I tackle my office. It is a disaster. The two older girls are at camp. so it’s just Baby and me at home this week. I made some plans last night with the mom of one of her friends, (this girl’s sister is at camp this week. too) so the girls will be getting together a couple of times.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Made 4 pts strawberry and 4 pts blueberry jam today. Having a family for an early dinner tomorrow so busy day ahead.

I haven't made jam in 3 years.  Not sure if I will get to it this summer.  Maybe next year?

36 minutes ago, 73349 said:

DS did fine at his recital. (His piece was a jazz duet and he chose, somewhat to my surprise, to do the piano part and have his teacher do the drum part.) The kids were all cute, and there was a good variety of music.

Now we Monday! Have a great day, everybody.

Nice!

• Like 2

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I realized this morning that I only have one check left because the plumber last week only took checks or cash.  So I will need to pay a bill or two online until I get more checks.  Most of my bills are on auto pay.  Except for these two lonely stragglers.  

I should also make a to-do list.  Dd14 has an ortho appointment later this morning and tonight is a scout meeting.  Maybe I should clean out my spice cabinet.  Or clean the fridge.  Imma have ds18 mow the lawn and the girls take care of some misc. items.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dianthus said:

Made 4 pts strawberry and 4 pts blueberry jam today. Having a family for an early dinner tomorrow so busy day ahead.

Do you can it? or make freezer jam? My mom makes strawberry freezer jam with my girls every year and that’s about all we eat.

• Like 3

I can in. I use low sugar pectin. We were quite low on jam. Lovely that I have 19 pts in the pantry and half of one in the fridge. Made biscuits yesterday and ds11 ate so much jam.

I like to can it because then don't worry about freezer space.

I have SO much apple butter from last year. Something like 40 pts. I don't know what to do with it. It's good but I'd rather eat jam. Ugh. 

My apple cider vinegar never vinegarized, so I finally threw it away after about 7 months. Not doing that again.  

• Like 4

Finally finished Rules of Civility.  What a slog.  I was 62% through the book (according to Kindle) and was still wondering if there was a story in there and why I was still reading it.  Hope springs eternal.  Nevertheless.  It was a waste of time.  However, I loved Towles's other two novels - A Gentleman in Moscow and (even more) The Lincoln Highway.

• Like 2

I started HRT yesterday.   We'll see how that goes.

I've been waking up with super dry mouth every morning since last week.   I don't know if its air quality, allergies, low humidity or what but I've never had it happen like this.  I constantly feel like my mouth feels cottony.   Yuck.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Finally finished Rules of Civility.  What a slog.  I was 62% through the book (according to Kindle) and was still wondering if there was a story in there and why I was still reading it.  Hope springs eternal.  Nevertheless.  It was a waste of time.  However, I loved Towles's other two novels - A Gentleman in Moscow and (even more) The Lincoln Highway.

Oh. don’t say that. It’s on my TBR pile.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I started HRT yesterday.   We'll see how that goes.

I've been waking up with super dry mouth every morning since last week.   I don't know if its air quality, allergies, low humidity or what but I've never had it happen like this.  I constantly feel like my mouth feels cottony.   Yuck.

Are you drinking plenty of water during the day?

• Like 1