• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I'm really slacking this week.   I keep feeling like it's earlier in the week than it is.   I never cleaned up after classes on Tuesday (no big mess, just stuff around), and I need to prepare for the last session, and I want to get instructions together for summer camps since I'm not working them all this year, and some organizational stuff.  

I haven't done laundry except for towels and whites either.  

Blech.

• Like 4

Funny exchange with Sandra the friendly but pushy butcher:

“You don’t want that chicken. You want this instead because it’s buy-one-get-one-free.”

Me:  “but that’s flavorless chicken breast. I want thighs. “

She actually found me some bogo chicken thighs. 

Then she roots through my shopping cart. “You’re getting expensive cashews?  You don't want those. You want these pecans that are on clearance!”  

Me:  “no, I really do need cashews. “

Sandra-  “what about these chocolate covered nuts on sale?”

Me- “Sandra/ I’m making cashew chicken!  I need my cashews!  “

She let me have them…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I didn't do All The Things today. I haven't done All The Things for months. My autoimmune disease is apparently off the rails and no one knows how to fix it; I've been mildly depressed (e.g., sleeping lots, no self harm thoughts or anything), and yesterday, totally unrelated, my lower back went off, such that I could barely walk. It was better today, and I was able to drive for an errand. Tomorrow morning I'll be going to the chiropractor. He's the one my former chiro has referred his patients to since retiring; I saw the new guy once and didn't love him, but I don't want to shop around now, so tomorrow, off to the new guy.

In just 32 days we'll be in Disneyland. Not that I'm excited and counting the days or anything...

• Like 6

I made hot and sour soup for dinner.  I'm pretty happy with this recipe. Easy and tastes like what I remember from a restaurant way back when.

Hot and Sour Soup (serves 4-6)

6 cups beef broth   
½ cup sliced mushrooms   
¼ cup soy sauce (regular or reduced sodium)    
¼ cup rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)   
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce   
1 teaspoon white pepper   
3 tablespoons cornstarch (arrowroot or tapioca starch)   
3 tablespoons cold water   
2 large eggs (well beaten)    
6 oz. firm tofu (sliced into thin strips)    
  (I add steamed pot stickers instead)
2 green onions (sliced)

INSTRUCTIONS

Simmer: Bring the broth to a simmer over medium high heat in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha sauce and white pepper. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.  

Thicken: In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and cold water to make the slurry. Add it to the soup and stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken.  (Cool and freeze at this point)

Swirl in the eggs: stir the soup to make a whirlpool.  Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the soup.  Stir again if necessary for whirlpool.

Add tofu: Add the sliced tofu or pot stickers and green onions, stir and remove the saucepan from the heat. Serve immediately.

NOTES   
To Store: Keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.   
To Freeze: It can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.   
To Reheat: Thaw completely and heat on the stovetop or in the microwave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!

I need to make a phone call, but it shouldn't be too bad.  And I need to email the kids' choir directors.  There's another phone call which I am avoiding and may not be necessary in the end.

Imma put off Aldi until tomorrow morning after I drop dd16 off at driving school.  The girls have music lessons this afternoon.

Coffee!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I made hot and sour soup for dinner.  I'm pretty happy with this recipe. Easy and tastes like what I remember from a restaurant way back when.

6 cups beef broth   
½ cup sliced mushrooms   
1 teaspoon white pepper   
3 tablespoons cold water   
2 green onions (sliced)

INSTRUCTIONS

Simmer: Bring the broth to a simmer over medium high heat in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha sauce and white pepper. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.  

Thicken: In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and cold water to make the slurry. Add it to the soup and stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken.  (Cool and freeze at this point)

Swirl in the eggs: stir the soup to make a whirlpool.  Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the soup.  Stir again if necessary for whirlpool.

Add tofu: Add the sliced tofu or pot stickers and green onions, stir and remove the saucepan from the heat. Serve immediately.

NOTES   

I puffy heart love hot and sour soup.

• Like 4

Yay nap!  

How are you feeling this afternoon, Toto?

I got out of my avoidance phone call because the person called me.  Yay!  Now dd24's taxes should be OK to resubmit.   I made the other phone call and sent two emails and did a bunch of other stuff.  Tomorrow I have to take a boy scout swimming test.  Svengo.  I can swim OK, but it's a TEST! 😭

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

6 cups beef broth   
½ cup sliced mushrooms   
1 teaspoon white pepper   
3 tablespoons cold water   
2 green onions (sliced)

INSTRUCTIONS

NOTES   

This reminds me, we have 30 pages of recipes in the ITT drive. Ya'll want a book? Need pics, though they'd probably be printed grayscale.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

How are you feeling this afternoon, Toto?

A little better today.  Thank you for asking.   It's moved down into my chest so I'm a little bit wheezy but not quite as miserable.   I got up too early, probably from all the naps yesterday, but then went and took a nap after lunch.    I've just been doing planning all day so nothing too strenuous.   

dh made homemade turkey noodle soup so we had that for dinner with croissants with garlic, so lots of good cold-fighting stuff there.   

• Like 5

I did Some of the Things tonight: I'm trying to pay off the last credit card, which has quite a high balance. It has been used to pay several online businesses, such as Chewy, so I removed it and added a different card. For some reason, that really wore me out, and now I must go to bed. ::puts back of hand against furrowed brow and dabs temple with lavender water::

• Like 4

Well, baby is off a-hiking through a muddy national forest in his sneakers, because he put those on (habit) instead of his hiking boots.

At least he has good food. (He's grubmaster this time.)

Time to take a shower and do the things!

• Like 5

Morning.   I slept pretty well last night and feel almost all better.  Still a little stuffy, a little wheezy, but much much better.  I guess getting lots of rest was the way to go.

Today I have to run into work for at least a little while.  I didn't do much clean-up after the classes on Tuesday so I need to put some stuff away, and get some other things ready for the coming week.     Then, of course, lots of paperwork.  Paychecks, and rosters, and lab notebooks.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I feel like I should know this but what's W1A?

It's a mockumentary sitcom about the corporate inner workings of the BBC staring Hugh Bonneville.  W1A is the postal code of the BBC headquarters.  It's kind of a spin-off of the previous mockumentary sitcom about the London 2012 olympics ("Twenty Twelve) that had some of the same characters.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Dh is watching Cocaine Bear because it's available free on one of our streaming services.   It is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.    So bad.   

So, I just looked this up. The real story is the bear died within 45 minutes of ingesting the cocaine, but that may have made a pretty boring movie. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Excerpts from yesterday's wahine kahiko competition at Merry Monarch:

Gymnast and I stayed up a bit Friday night watching some of the performances. Or was it Thursday night.... yeah, it was Thursday. There were individual dances and chanting.

Edited by Renai
They? There? I don't know. I changed it.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I passed the swimming test! 🏆

Then birthday party.  Now home with unexpected college guests over to watch a movie and in a couple hours I expect dd24 and her friend crash on the sofas upstairs before going back to The City That Must Not Be Named in the morning.  (They drove up to The Big City for a concert.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Renai said:

There were individual dances and chanting.

They were competing for Miss Aloha. Unless there were also kane (men), who of course don't compete for Miss...anything. ::cheeky grin:: I don't know if there's some equivalent for them.

I hope to go in person next year.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ellie said:

They were competing for Miss Aloha. Unless there were also kane (men), who of course don't compete for Miss...anything. ::cheeky grin:: I don't know if there's some equivalent for them.

I hope to go in person next year.

That would be cool to go in person. As I was watching, all I could think of were my poor knees and hamstrings... 🤣

Speaking of which, we're watching again now. Royal Court is about to come in.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

That would be cool to go in person. As I was watching, all I could think of were my poor knees and hamstrings... 🤣

Speaking of which, we're watching again now. Royal Court is about to come in.

Yeah, knees and hamstrings. Oy!

And those are the real Royal Court, you know, if Hawai'i still had a monarchy, they know who would be WHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1