Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

An appraisal is for putting insurance on it. I was referring to just making sure you aren't deceived when selling it, but looks like you've already done your homework.👍 

I've had to take items to my local jeweler just to verify whether it's real and at what purity because it wasn't discernable on the actual piece of jewelry.

The only thing I had to do homework on was the bracelet itself.  The charms all still had their price tags attached.  So the entire bracelet plus charms comes to $100 new.  So I'm thinking that perhaps I can sell the lot for $50?  I hope? 

(I really wouldn't bother if it were just my jewelry but I am obligated to get as much money as I can for it for my non-profit.) 

A CHARMING BOOYAH! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What do you need?  Dryers?  A deep freezer?  Amazon boxes filled with books?

Lowe's medium size packing boxes are the perfect size when I cut it on each fold line.  I have bigger cardboard that I could measure and cut but I really hate getting down on the floor with the measuring tape and box cutter to do it! 

#spoiledsnowflake

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The only thing I had to do homework on was the bracelet itself.  The charms all still had their price tags attached.  So the entire bracelet plus charms comes to $100 new.  So I'm thinking that perhaps I can sell the lot for $50?  I hope? 

(I really wouldn't bother if it were just my jewelry but I am obligated to get as much money as I can for it for my non-profit.) 

A CHARMING BOOYAH! 

Sounds reasonable to me. eBay or similar might draw in more/better offers. Pawn shops mostly look at the value of the melted metal in case it doesn't sell. Another option would be to use it as an item in a silent auction at a fundraiser/ event if you have one upcoming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Mowed for about ten or 15 minutes before I couldn’t get the mower to work again in very tall wet grass (we’re talking about two feet tall)

It's amazing how far you've come. You give me hope.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Weed whacked.

Barked another section.  Ran out of the cardboard that's the perfect size for this swoosh.

Too bad we're on opposite ends of the country.  I have a TON of cardboard of all different sizes from huge refrigerator size to small index card size boxes.    And I get constant deliveries of more.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wheres Toto said:

Too bad we're on opposite ends of the country.  I have a TON of cardboard of all different sizes from huge refrigerator size to small index card size boxes.    And I get constant deliveries of more.  

Jean, does SIL deliver fish to Texas? I have an idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

EdPo:

Can I list books here that I'm considering for Oldest? Just for reading because he loves to read and always wants more books so I like to keep them stockpiled to dole out throughout the year. I want a heads up if it's wrong for the age/maturity, language, too much blood and gore, or other stuff that might not be a good fit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Can I list books here that I'm considering for Oldest? Just for reading because he loves to read and always wants more books so I like to keep them stockpiled to dole out throughout the year. I want a heads up if it's wrong for the age/maturity, language, too much blood and gore, or other stuff that might not be a good fit.

Yes, I'd like to see them. I need books for my avid reader, dd12. So much inappropriate stuff out there. I would like to avoid bad language, sex and anti-Christian junk/content. Honestly, I've avoided just overly romantic stuff that has no sex because I feel like I overly romanticized life by reading it when I was this age. Why do so many books throw in romance at a young age? I've even avoided LM Montgomery except Anne because of the fanciful romantic aspect, but I think I'll start doling out some of my old books because dd is just needing more. Jane of Lantern Hill was my fav, so that will the be the first she gets.

@Slache had a few on her list that I couldn't give dd. I love the movie How Green but the book is dark with child rape and a couple other sexual encounters and a SIL that went crazy. I'm also not letting dd read Anne Frank yet. I get how it makes a victim relatable, but I didn't like Anne's attitude or the relationship with the boy she lived with. I was going to preread The Hiding Place to see if it would be appropriate. I know it seems very sheltering, but I just don't think she needs to have her mind thinking that way. It's really difficult because I just don't have time to preread. I use Common Sense Media a lot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Why do people ( especially men) feel the need to make weird noises and threatening movements towards Juliet?  I am trying so hard to get her to stop being reactive and idiots don’t help. 

Is Juliet a poodle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Eagle of the Ninth (all 3 books)

Great Battles for Boys series

Viking Quest series

Rolf and the Viking Bow

Carry On, Mr Bowditch

Boys Without Names

I am David

Enemy Brothers

The Boy on the Wooden Box

The Samarai's Tale

The Wheel on the School

Little Lord Fauntleroy

Out of Darkness

Sylvia and Aki

The Hawk that Dare Not Hunt by Day

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

The Good Master/ The Singing Tree

...There's more. I just can't find them right now. I have running lists all over the place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Yes, I'd like to see them. I need books for my avid reader, dd12. So much inappropriate stuff out there. I would like to avoid bad language, sex and anti-Christian junk/content. Honestly, I've avoided just overly romantic stuff that has no sex because I feel like I overly romanticized life by reading it when I was this age. Why do so many books throw in romance at a young age? I've even avoided LM Montgomery except Anne because of the fanciful romantic aspect, but I think I'll start doling out some of my old books because dd is just needing more. Jane of Lantern Hill was my fav, so that will the be the first she gets.

@Slache had a few on her list that I couldn't give dd. I love the movie How Green but the book is dark with child rape and a couple other sexual encounters and a SIL that went crazy. I'm also not letting dd read Anne Frank yet. I get how it makes a victim relatable, but I didn't like Anne's attitude or the relationship with the boy she lived with. I was going to preread The Hiding Place to see if it would be appropriate. I know it seems very sheltering, but I just don't think she needs to have her mind thinking that way. It's really difficult because I just don't have time to preread. I use Common Sense Media a lot.

There are many that I didn't list because we either have them, plan to get them so I don't need opinions on them, or they are more geared toward girls than boys. Heidi, Pollyanna, and the book that The Sound of Music was based on all come to mind along with Understood Betsy. So far I've liked most of Notgrass' literature recommendations and frequently look at their alternative literature lists for ideas of other books to research.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Eagle of the Ninth (all 3 books)

Great Battles for Boys series

Viking Quest series

Rolf and the Viking Bow

Carry On, Mr Bowditch

Boys Without Names

I am David

Enemy Brothers

The Boy on the Wooden Box

The Samarai's Tale

The Wheel on the School

Little Lord Fauntleroy

Out of Darkness

Sylvia and Aki

The Hawk that Dare Not Hunt by Day

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

The Good Master/ The Singing Tree

...There's more. I just can't find them right now. I have running lists all over the place.

Just a quick glance but I would remove “Out of Darkness “. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

There are many that I didn't list because we either have them, plan to get them so I don't need opinions on them, or they are more geared toward girls than boys. Heidi, Pollyanna, and the book that The Sound of Music was based on all come to mind along with Understood Betsy. So far I've liked most of Notgrass' literature recommendations and frequently look at their alternative literature lists for ideas of other books to research.

Yes, I go through MP, VP, SL and similar booklists but we're just running out. A couple in your list we have not read, so I'll look into them. Thanks.

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I haven't screened them yet. I just have the list from the curriculum.

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

No. Juliet is a Rottweiler/shepherd mix. 

That would be why. And because men are fools.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Gah! That's where they are! Forgot about SL. MP and VP have booklists?! 

I just pull the lit from the catalogs. Go on VP's site, and you can request a paper catalog. I've found some great books through them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I just pull the lit from the catalogs. Go on VP's site, and you can request a paper catalog. I've found some great books through them.

Try The Good and The Beautiful book list. Totally wholesome. It’s a free download.

https://goodandbeautifulbooklist.com/

I like the Logos School/Press list, too. I don’t know how to access it on their site anymore, but you can call and ask them to email it to you. It was the first classical booklist I found when I started homeschooling many moons ago. 

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I'm planning a trip to Hawai'i for October. ::happy hula dance:: But here's the thing: there are no good air fair deals originating in Austin. Never are. What's that about?

I want to go someday. My plan is actually to visit Oregon and fly from there. Tickets are 1/3 the price, and that's a big difference for Hawaii! Where are you going?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ellie said:

A friend and I are going to O'ahu for a hula worship conference/workshop.

I have checked all of the Texas airports, just in case. But none of the flights have the special, on-sale prices.

If you were me (we're rich in this situation) and we're going for fun where would you go? Priorities are beach activities, foodses, and hiking.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

If you were me (we're rich in this situation) and we're going for fun where would you go? Priorities are beach activities, foodses, and hiking.

So far, I have only been to O'ahu, so visiting another island (or two or three) would be fun. The Big Island and Maui would probably be my choices, maybe Molokai, home of St. Damian. I would find all of the hula halau that might allow a hula dancer wannabe to attend one or two classes, and I'd find out if there were any competitions or shows or whatnot happening, and I'd be *right there.* On O'ahu, I would go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, for an evening show and for a daytime field trip. 🙂 I never went to Diamond Head when I was there, so I would do that. And the Pearl Harbor Cruise. I have done that, and it's worth doing again. Iolani Palace. The Dole Plantation. And somewhere is a place where kukui nuts are being polished and prepared; I want to see them again.

I'm a city girl, so walking through the crowds on the streets of Waikiki is almost as enjoyable to me as hiking through the mountains. 🙂

If I'm there on a Sunday, I would go to New Hope Church in Waikiki.

A luau on the beach would be lovely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I must be weird. I have zero desire to go to Hawaii. I hate sand and the beach. If I want to be hot and deal with bugs, I can walk outside my door. I admit the Disney resort is super tempting, though.

I love the beach and island culture. The botanicals there are totally different and I would love to see the state parks in full bloom. Local cuisine is always a draw in any location. I've heard the prettiest sunsets in the world are in Hawaii. I would like to see that. And art. I like the touristy shopping places with art and jewelry and recipe books. I love to travel. My biggest dreams are Italy and Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Who is leering?  At what?  

Cansada is tired. Leer is read.

I'm interpreting as she is very tired but needs to read. Maybe tired of booklist and prereading. Maybe bedtime. Not fluent, unfortunately

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I must be weird. I have zero desire to go to Hawaii. I hate sand and the beach. If I want to be hot and deal with bugs, I can walk outside my door. I admit the Disney resort is super tempting, though.

Please note that I did not mention actually going to the beach. 🙂 However, the beaches in Hawai'i are nothing like the beaches on the mainland, and I say this as someone who spent plenty of time on the beaches on the Outer Banks, N.C., and Norfolk/Ocean View, Virginia. Hawiian sand feels different. The *air* is different, and the water. Honest. But I still have no desire to put out a blanket and bake in the sun all day. Blech. Happily, there are plenty of other things to do than go to the beach. 🙂

• Like 3