Menu

Ignore this thread!

Got some tweaking to do.

Crust

Adapted from a recipe (Wild Oats Natural Marketplace-Whole Paycheck, now I think? :lol: )

1/3 cup of tapioca starch, brown rice flour and corn flour (1/3 cup of each-I play with the amounts and types of flour all the time!)

1 tbsp corn starch

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Throw all in the food processor, add 1/2 cup of butter in pieces and churn it to sand.

1 egg

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Mix that together, pour it through the feed tube while grinding and let the dough ball up. Take it out, roll out in tapioca starch and use for a 9 in pie plate. Prick crust with fork and bake blind for 10 minutes in a 350F oven. Set aside to cool slightly.

Filling is based on the Raleigh House Buttermilk Pie recipe published who knows when in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, and it's too sweet, folks. I need to cut the sugar somehow, but..

1/2 cup unsalted butter

2 cups sugar (I'm going to try 1.5 next time)

3 eggs

1.5 tbsp cornstarch (close, I might increase this to 2 tbsp next time-filling is very close to holding, but not perfect yet)

1 cup buttermilk

dash nutmeg (I like nutmeg, I used more than a dash)

1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar, using softened butter, then add eggs, and cornstarch and mix well. Add buttermilk, nutmeg and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into the marginally cooled crust and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. To my surprise, that time was pretty much perfect.

Pie is quite sweet, creamy and very yummy. I let the boys try it, and one disliked it, the other said, "This isn't good, mom. It's great!" Yeah, he's a sweetie.

I think she actually wanted the recipe to the other stuff you mentioned, but thanks for this.  Looks yummy!

• Like 2

For a second there I thought it was a haiku.

I've told you all The Mysteriously Disappearing Thanksgiving Silverware story, haven't I?

Almost haiku!

I don't recall hearing that story.  What happened?!?  :bigear: :bigear:

• Like 1

The chiro stuck my skeleton back together but I'm still in a lot of pain.  And I can't have more pain meds until bedtime.  Boo. Hiss.  

In other news, I'm making Arroz Caldo tonight, Filipino comfort food.  I even got the grocer to understand that I wanted tamarind paste.   :)

Ooo, I have Tamarind paste and forgot what I was going to make with it.  Maybe I'll have to try this?  Have you shared the recipe here?

• Like 1

Tex, I "liked" that you found the time release melatonin, but I don't like that you still woke up at 5:30!  I don't like walking in the dark either because bats. 

Jean, hope you're pain is getting better.

Ikslo!  Missed you! 

Susan, so sorry about ds's throwing up.  Your enchiladas sound yummy! 

We had beef stroganoff for supper.

Heather, hope you're feeling better too!

Renai - you finished homework, you slept, you worked, you conquered the world, right?  How did dancer do at home today?

Slache - Happy First Day of Real School.  Sounds lovely.  What a sweetie he is!

Mmmm, stroganoff....

• Like 2

Almost haiku!

I don't recall hearing that story. What happened?!? :bigear: :bigear:

3 or 4 years back we were getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner, and had the table all set nicely with the fancy dishes and everything. A bit before company arrived, I went to check the table and saw that a couple pieces of flatware were gone. Couldn't find it, so I thought maybe it was not set in the first place and I set more down.

A few minutes later I noticed more flatware missing. We questioned all the kids and had everyone search high and low for it, including the trash. No trace of it.

So finally dinner is over and people are milling about inside and outside the house, and our friend called to us that he has found a pile of silverware in the dirt outside. Hmmm. Very mysterious.

It turns out that dd (then 3yo) had been sneaking it off the table and tossing it out the kitchen window.

• Like 9

3 or 4 years back we were getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner, and had the table all set nicely with the fancy dishes and everything. A bit before company arrived, I went to check the table and saw that a couple pieces of flatware were gone. Couldn't find it, so I thought maybe it was not set in the first place and I set more down.

A few minutes later I noticed more flatware missing. We questioned all the kids and had everyone search high and low for it, including the trash. No trace of it.

So finally dinner is over and people are milling about inside and outside the house, and our friend called to us that he has found a pile of silverware in the dirt outside. Hmmm. Very mysterious.

It turns out that dd (then 3yo) had been sneaking it off the table and tossing it out the kitchen window.

:lol: :lol: :lol:   Heeheehee!  Good story!

:scared:   I'd better guard against this at the next holiday dinner.  I have a nephew who will be 2 1/2 by then!

• Like 2

I am not authorized to hand out points, but I do believe Haiku should be worth at least 2504 points.

I gave her a round 5000 points.  I couldn't bring my brain to do any creative point calculations.

You are hereby authorized to give points, too.  Matriarch has spoken.

• Like 4

I used to hate coffee. My grandma thought I was nuts. She drank it by the potful! She seriously thought something was wrong with me. And then I went to Brazil. And had cafezhinos. Strong, sweet, thick coffee in little cups like shot glasses. Wow, those were great. Now I like coffee. The End.

• Like 7

Did you walk Rocky?  How about today?

ETA:  Wow, a Booyah!  This Booyah is for Jean, who needs the encouragement.  Booyah, Jeannie!

Just for you, AMJ, I'm going to leash Rocky up and go out on my walk even though the house is an absolute pit and part of me wants to stay home and work on that  But honestly, if I stayed home I'd probably dink around online instead so a walk is better.  

• Like 7

I think she actually wanted the recipe to the other stuff you mentioned, but thanks for this.  Looks yummy!

The cocktail that should turn me into a giant bug if I take it again contains a variety of sleep inducing chemicals. I looked up the few I could remember and one of them was L-Dopa. That probably caused the vivid dreams. Not sure if I just need a much lower dosage, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk waking up with antennae and wing cases.

• Like 4

Just for you, AMJ, I'm going to leash Rocky up and go out on my walk even though the house is an absolute pit and part of me wants to stay home and work on that  But honestly, if I stayed home I'd probably dink around online instead so a walk is better.  

I haven't had the energy or ability (without falling over) of walking the dogs in 2 days. They are getting restless. Dd has been making special jumps for them in the backyard, though. We have our own mini-show jump arena with various types of jumps. She lures each dog over in a different way. It's hilarious to watch.  :laugh:   The standard poodle is very graceful and leaps well over every jump; the lab (a big boy with much shorter legs) looks less graceful, but he's game to do anything for treats. ;)

• Like 6

When I went to Germany oh so very, very, very long ago...the people I stayed with said I spoke German with a milkmaid's accent.  I still don't know whether that was a good or bad thing.  They were laughing, too.   LOL

When I taught in São Paulo, Brasil 20 years ago and just barely knew enough Portuguese to ask where the bathroom was, we traveled to a neighboring state in Brasil. The people we stayed with told us we spoke with a Paulistan accent. I was just cracking up because I couldn't see how they could wade through our butchering of their lovely language to determine that we spoke with a Paulistan accent. Maybe they were just being nice.

When I speak Spanish, people guess many places for me. Well, not too many because I'm black, and they're trying to think of where black people speak Spanish. they never guess I get my Spanish from a Mexican. :D

I haven't done any exercise in years. I should, but I don't. :D

However, we have been going for long walks in the woods on various trails. Most are about a mile or two, but it is just a leisurely walk. I wouldn't call it hiking.

I dyed my hair last night. I was trying to cover a few grays not change the color completely. And do you know, it didn't do a thing. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I even left it on the extra 10 minutes for the color resistant grays like the directions says to. I am really aggravated. An hour spent for nothing, and now I am afraid of using another kind because I don't want to fry my hair. :(

When I was young, I would use blue/black to dye my hair. I tried that again, forgetting that blue coloring is used to make white, whiter... yeah. Didn't go over very well.

• Like 7

Aw, man, I wasn't aware!  However, I did celebrate.  I had a truly delightful pink grapefruit gelato.  I need to find out if only that restaurant has it, or if there are perhaps other branches closer to home.  I can't quite justify driving 90 minutes each way for another scoop.

I almost justified driving 2 hours for the best burgers ever in Taos. I'm still gonna have to get one. Just not soon. I've found a suitable alternative for now.

• Like 4

When I was young, I would use blue/black to dye my hair. I tried that again, forgetting that blue coloring is used to make white, whiter... yeah. Didn't go over very well.

I had an Asian friend that dyed her hair super dark blue. You could only tell that it was blue in the sun. Because her hair was black and straight it just looked natural most of the time. I loved it.

• Like 7

I had an Asian friend that dyed her hair super dark blue. You could only tell that it was blue in the sun. Because her hair was black and straight it just looked natural most of the time. I loved it.

The blue-black has a blue sheen in the sun. Since I had a straight perm at the time, it looked really good. It's not so bad on curly hair either, unless it's highlighting grays...

• Like 5

The cocktail that should turn me into a giant bug if I take it again contains a variety of sleep inducing chemicals. I looked up the few I could remember and one of them was L-Dopa. That probably caused the vivid dreams. Not sure if I just need a much lower dosage, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk waking up with antennae and wing cases.

Yah.  I do a lot of supplements and I'm wary of L-Dopa.  

• Like 4

I haven't had the energy or ability (without falling over) of walking the dogs in 2 days. They are getting restless. Dd has been making special jumps for them in the backyard, though. We have our own mini-show jump arena with various types of jumps. She lures each dog over in a different way. It's hilarious to watch.  :laugh:   The standard poodle is very graceful and leaps well over every jump; the lab (a big boy with much shorter legs) looks less graceful, but he's game to do anything for treats. ;)

We need to set something like this up for Rusty bunny.  A bored bunny is a naughty bunny.  We need to find new ways to enertain this very smart rabbit who looks at his old toys and says "been there, done that!" 

• Like 7

Oh, no. I should actually do homework. There was so much to do in the classroom, I fell behind again. I told dh yesterday that I seriously need a week off of work so I can get school work done. I can't screw up - these are the last two classes! I am up now, though, and not tired, so that should help.

• Like 4