• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh and why is it when I say that we got Juliet from the Humane Society, people bless me like I’m a saint or something? It happened over and over again at the dog park yesterday. Is everyone feeling guilty that they got their dogs from breeders?  

I know! We found ours abandoned in rural Indiana. We seem to get extra points for that. Because, you know, a $700 purebred isn't as godly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh and why is it when I say that we got Juliet from the Humane Society, people bless me like I’m a saint or something? It happened over and over again at the dog park yesterday. Is everyone feeling guilty that they got their dogs from breeders?  

I think people perceive it as you taking on a huge burden. A lot of those dogs (I've had two) have special circumstances and require more work. They don't see Juliet as the perfect puppy she is because she came from the pound.

• Like 3

After Hobby Lobby, the Dollar Tree, and the Library (where I pre-emptively confessed to losing Beowulf), we stopped by a local thrift store and found dd15 a super pretty pair of leather dress boots for $4.  I could tell she felt like a million bucks in them.  :smile:  I love that place.  When we were driving off, I saw TWO reel lawn mowers leaning against the store wall.  I might ask dh to run over and pre-emptively buy me one for his birthday (which is next week).  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It took Matt 2 hours to make eggs and sausages. :blink: Babiness has eggs in his hair, eyelashes and pockets. :ph34r: We are an hour behind schedule. :dry: Maybe a nap would help. :happy:

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

After Hobby Lobby, the Dollar Tree, and the Library (where I pre-emptively confessed to losing Beowulf), we stopped by a local thrift store and found dd15 a super pretty pair of leather dress boots for $4.  I could tell she felt like a million bucks in them.  :smile:  I love that place.  When we were driving off, I saw TWO reel lawn mowers leaning against the store wall.  I might ask dh to run over and pre-emptively buy me one for his birthday (which is next week).  :biggrin:

You're very preemptive today. I like it. I got a $100 thing through ILL and the library lost it but said I lost it and I almost had to pay for it. After saying that yes I had absolutely turned it in she said there was no way she could have missed something that big and refused to look for it. She wouldn't let me look for it even though I'm a registered volunteer. She said she would contact the owning library and I would get a bill. Four days later I got am email saying she found it. Oh, gee, really? Maybe you should have looked instead of treating your patrons like thieves.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Slache, why is there a Saturday schedule?

Because husband has add. The schedule is a fraud. It's basically a reminder that we have to do fun things and feed the kids. In times past he has not fed the kids. That's actually why I taught John to tell time.

• Like 2

Dh and I are meeting with a financial planner on Monday - a free "get to know you and your money" type thing, and they sent us a questionaire to go through beforehand.  We could barely get through the first question from laughing so hard - "Have you discovered your True Purpose for money?"  :laugh:  Uh, duh.  Money is used to exchange for goods and services.  But we can't get past thinking of Steve Martin's Special Purpose.

A Belated Special Purpose Booyah!

#goteamH!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oof - that's a long time without power!

It really wasn't too long and at least it wasn't really cold.

The frustrating part for me is that we weren't even having bad weather.  We had wind and rain Thursday night -- remnants of Michael -- but Friday was clear.  Dd14 had turned on the oven to make pizza bagels for lunch and a few minutes later -- poof! -- no power.  Dh suspects that a tree with weak roots fell over.

• Like 4

I have been running around town all day multiple times since 8:30 this morning, except for the 30 min I came home to take care of the dogs.  Regular weekend activities were complicated by:  dh being at drill, ds having a TKD belt test, said belt test unexpectedly lasting 5 hours instead of 1 or 2, and other ds going home from swim with a friend.  I get a treat.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I have been running around town all day multiple times since 8:30 this morning, except for the 30 min I came home to take care of the dogs.  Regular weekend activities were complicated by:  dh being at drill, ds having a TKD belt test, said belt test unexpectedly lasting 5 hours instead of 1 or 2, and other ds going home from swim with a friend.  I get a treat.  

Did your ds pass his test?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

BTW -- I highly recommend these flameless candles.

I bought them this spring and this was the first power outage that we had a chance to use them.

We gave a candle to each of the girls to carry around with them.

Nice!  The description says they are made with high quilty plastic!  For extra warmth, I imagine.  :laugh:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I thought of some more famous people, Slache!!  I only know one of them, but the rest dh knows, or has met, or knows of.

Milwaukee Brewers pitcher #32, Jeremy Jeffress--dh coached him in high school (but in basketball, not baseball).  He's a really sweet guy and would probably just send you a pair of shoes!  LOL!   A little kid showed up at a game recently, and had forgotten his glove to catch fly balls.  Jeremy heard him talk about it and gave him his.  

Tommie Harris, who has now retired from NFL, went to dh's school for one year, then to another one here in town (the one ds32 graduated from) and his mom was a substitute teacher at both schools.

Kelvin Pena, social media sensation, who has apparently made millions posting videos of animals and has become a philanthropist, graduated from dh's school 2 years ago.  Dh knew of him, and his work, but didn't teach him.

Dh attended a party a long time ago, with Magic Johnson.  Dh, who is 6'2", looked like a short person beside him!  He is apparently very nice, too.

Roy Miller is another NFL player from dh's school, who he knows.

RG3, of the Baltimore Ravens, graduated from the next town from us.  I'm sure dh saw both of the football players play in school, but didn't coach either of them.

It's funny how, when I think about it, I remember people we have known or met.  Normally, since stardom doesn't do anything for me, I forget about it right after!  LOL!

I think maybe you win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh and I are meeting with a financial planner on Monday - a free "get to know you and your money" type thing, and they sent us a questionaire to go through beforehand.  We could barely get through the first question from laughing so hard - "Have you discovered your True Purpose for money?"  :laugh:  Uh, duh.  Money is used to exchange for goods and services.  But we can't get past thinking of Steve Martin's Special Purpose.

It's a financial planning booya!

#noh

• Like 1

Mr. Ellie and I chose new kitchen counters today. They cannot be installed until after the foundation is repaired (scheduled for Nov. 19), so it looks as if we're going to really be hard up against Christmas with our remodel stuff. #firstworldproblems

• Like 3