Menu

Ignore this thread!

Apropos of nothing:

Dear Mama Bear Homeschooler:

"Sophomore" is tenth grade. The tenth year of formal education, which begins when children are six, in first grade. All public schools (and private schools, and colleges) will define "sophomore" and "tenth grade" thusly (let's not include students who are skipped grades in this discussion).

Your little person is 10 years old. He is brilliant, and is doing high school-level stuff, and may really be ready to take classes at the local community college. That is so awesome! But he is not a sophomore. He is not "in tenth grade." That the community college allows sophomores/tenth graders to do dual enrollment but will not accept your child is not "age discrimination."

That is all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Apropos of nothing:

"Sophomore" is tenth grade. The tenth year of formal education, which begins when children are six, in first grade. All public schools (and private schools, and colleges) will define "sophomore" and "tenth grade" thusly (let's not include students who are skipped grades in this discussion).

Your little person is 10 years old. He is brilliant, and is doing high school-level stuff, and may really be ready to take classes at the local community college. That is so awesome! But he is not a sophomore. He is not "in tenth grade." That the community college allows sophomores/tenth graders to do dual enrollment but will not accept your child is not "age discrimination."

That is all.

Seriously?? Oh my!!

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am at Starbucks.

Give me a C!  Give me an A!  Give me an M!  Give me a P!  What's that spell?  More work!

Go Jeannie!! Go Jeannie!!

and this is a “get ‘er done, Jean” Booya/h. Brought to you by the letter C and the fine folks at Brakesall Automotive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon! Been word sprinting with a writing buddy this morning and going over my developmental editing notes today. Revisions are going to be super challenging without increasing the word count! Which is scary considering I need to cut about 10K. 

I think I might need more chocolate.

• Like 5

I did the week-long 8th grade DC trip. I want to start planning family vacations. They might be in the van instead of a plane and tents instead of hotels but we want to start doing things. This year is a week in California, possibly seeing the mouse if my dad can afford it, next year is the move and we're turning it into a road trip thing where we see the world's largest ball of twine or something and I wind up getting hospitalized for dehydration from car sickness. That will be fun. I'm also hoping to drive along the South at some point, go to DC and surrounding areas, see the mouse in Florida... You know... things. 1,437 days until we're debt free. 

I do not have a sophomore. I did order Strayer Upton which is a 3rd grade curriculum instead of a 2nd grade curriculum so you should all be very impressed. If you are unfamiliar with it it's not really impressive, but it's exactly what I want and it was $13 so if I shelve it I won't cry.

Oh! Our rent is dealt with. Even if there was a problem the manager believed us so I wasn't concerned. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Apropos of nothing:

That is all.

On a related note... Don't call your kids' community college profs, but more importantly, don't call their employers. Especially not in an at-will state. There are fora for adults who need extra help and for kids who need accelerated programs but regular community college classes are not among them. They do take anyone but it has to be in the right program.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Ducky, i’ll Meet you in DC, we’ll do the Smithsonians at our leisure. You have to see the First Ladies Inaugural Ball-Gown exhibit. You didn’t mention seeing the National Art gallery, either. I have visited DC twice... once with a friend about 25 years ago and once on an 8th Grade trip with a school I was teaching at. The first time we didn’t stay long,  but had a nice time At the few museums we did visit. The second time.... what a nightmare. I really want to go back.

I loved trip out East and to D.C.  Interestingly enough, we experienced our first and only hurricane on that trip - hurricane Irene, which was making it's way to Philadelphia while we were at Valley Forge.

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

You can join Krissi and me.  We'll use the metro and segways.  I know a fantastic airbnb and there will be wine and cheese we can grill on the patio out back. ?

I want to come, too!  

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I have made two phone calls today.  Go me.  

Well done!  Now have some cookies!

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

What specific plants? I want to draw more bees.

I am trying to find white yarrow to plant, but only spot it along the roadside while I'm driving.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I loved trip out East and to D.C.  Interestingly enough, we experienced our first and only hurricane on that trip - hurricane Irene, which was making it's way to Philadelphia while we were at Valley Forge.

I want to come, too!  

Well done!  Now have some cookies!

I am trying to find white yarrow to plant, but only spot it along the roadside while I'm driving.

Dig it up on the sly!!  I’ll help you. I’ll create a distraction when the cops come and you grab some and put it in your purse.

• Haha 4

My neighbor and her puppy and me and my puppy went for a walk this morning.  As we were getting ready to cross the street, this van passed us and then just SLAMMED on the brakes.  My neighbor and I looked at each other and at the guy who had rolled down his window.  I asked him what he needed but he didn't understand me (possibly couldn't hear) so I said "Why did you stop?"  He said "I thought that you were yelling at me."  What?  Um no.  We were just talking to each other. . .    Fortunately he went on but it was rather strange. 

• Confused 4

We just finished conjugating Greek verbs. :wub:

If anyone ever asks if I'm qualified to homeschool I will just say "My son can conjugate ancient Greek verbs" and walk away.

I'll have to walk away or risk them finding out I'm not actually qualified to teach anything else...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

We just finished conjugating Greek verbs. :wub:

If anyone ever asks if I'm qualified to homeschool I will just say "My son can conjugate ancient Greek verbs" and walk away.

I'll have to walk away or risk them finding out I'm not actually qualified to teach anything else...

That's what I did with Latin.  They would be so impressed that they wouldn't ask about anything else. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I did the week-long 8th grade DC trip. I want to start planning family vacations. They might be in the van instead of a plane and tents instead of hotels but we want to start doing things. This year is a week in California, possibly seeing the mouse if my dad can afford it, next year is the move and we're turning it into a road trip thing where we see the world's largest ball of twine or something and I wind up getting hospitalized for dehydration from car sickness. That will be fun. I'm also hoping to drive along the South at some point, go to DC and surrounding areas, see the mouse in Florida... You know... things. 1,437 days until we're debt free. 

I do not have a sophomore. I did order Strayer Upton which is a 3rd grade curriculum instead of a 2nd grade curriculum so you should all be very impressed. If you are unfamiliar with it it's not really impressive, but it's exactly what I want and it was $13 so if I shelve it I won't cry.

Oh! Our rent is dealt with. Even if there was a problem the manager believed us so I wasn't concerned. 

We have almost same amount of days before being debt free!  I love strayer upton!  So glad everything worked out with the rent.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

The bees are all over my phlox. There are too many of them and they try to chase me away when I'm trying to deadhead my other flowers. The bees and butterflies love phlox.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

We have almost same amount of days before being debt free!  I love strayer upton!  So glad everything worked out with the rent.

Do you think I can use it with a second grader? His strength is language but he grasps math well. Do you use it as a stand alone? Is it common core aligned? I'm kidding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have returned from the haircutting I so desperately needed. Whilst there I had to run outside in garb and color because a Great Dane was outside with his owner. Can't pass up an opportunity to snuggle 200+ pounds of dog! 

Now I am home to write. The boy will light a fire for me later and I am going to take a lot if pictures. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Do you think I can use it with a second grader? His strength is language but he grasps math well. Do you use it as a stand alone? Is it common core aligned? I'm kidding. 

Yes, you can absolutely use it for a second grader, just go slowly and it should be fine.  I'm not using it right noW, it's our got to when we're schooling away from home or when we need extra practice on something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I don't even know half of them as we got a lot with the house. Bees LOVE flowering dogwood. Lavender. I will have to go home and look at Dd's science project... We identified a lot of them at that time. Clover instead of grass is a big one. I will ask MIL who knows everything and get back to you.

24 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm still upset someone gave Krissi a goldfish. 

Don’t be too upset. They died within days. Of course, that was after DH took the girls to the Afsa and got a bowl with colored rocks and plastic plants and all the junk you need to make sure the water is just right and won’t kill them and food....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Paige said:

Here's how Mister Kitty normally looks. He hasn't felt like posing for pictures post- lion cut. You can see he had a little hack job by his hip where I'd tried to groom him and quit.

misterkitty.jpg

Oh, my. What a beautiful cat!!???

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Don’t be too upset. They died within days. Of course, that was after DH took the girls to the Afsa and got a bowl with colored rocks and plastic plants and all the junk you need to make sure the water is just right and won’t kill them and food....

This is exactly what happened to "Carl."  

• Like 1

We're changing Alex's name to Alvin because we scream it across the house so much.

15 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I half expected this. Another reason not to give away goldfish! 

3 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

This is exactly what happened to "Carl."  

RIP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Here's how Mister Kitty normally looks. He hasn't felt like posing for pictures post- lion cut. You can see he had a little hack job by his hip where I'd tried to groom him and quit.

misterkitty.jpg

Your cat is magnificent. Next to him our cat looks like he is descended from 99% derp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3