Menu

Ignore this thread!

Recipe pretty please?

(Pork chops and rice, not the pepper, you smart aleck! :D )

Well, the way I did it, the rice didn’t cook all the way. But basically, you brown the pork chops. I put 2 c rice in the 9x13 pan, laid the chops over it, and poured a mixture of 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, water (enough to make the total mixture 4 cups), salt and pepper all over it. Covered tightly and cooked at 350 for a little over an hour. The flavor was delicious, but some of the rice was cooked and some was crunchy, especially the rice at the bottom of the dish. I think next time I will pour the rice in, pour some of the sauce over it and stir it up, put the chops on and pour the rest of the sauce over the top. And maybe cook a little longer, too. My mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. It’s very quick and easy, but I just wouldn’t seem to get the rice done. When she made it, the rice was never crunchy. I’ll have to ask her what she did.
  • Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Well, the way I did it, the rice didn’t cook all the way. But basically, you brown the pork chops. I put 2 c rice in the 9x13 pan, laid the chops over it, and poured a mixture of 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, water (enough to make the total mixture 4 cups), salt and pepper all over it. Covered tightly and cooked at 350 for a little over an hour. The flavor was delicious, but some of the rice was cooked and some was crunchy, especially the rice at the bottom of the dish. I think next time I will pour the rice in, pour some of the sauce over it and stir it up, put the chops on and pour the rest of the sauce over the top. And maybe cook a little longer, too. My mom used to make this all the time when I was a kid. It’s very quick and easy, but I just wouldn’t seem to get the rice done. When she made it, the rice was never crunchy. I’ll have to ask her what she did.

We have a similar recipe for a chicken casserole where you mix the rice, can of cream of chick, can of cream of celery, can of broth, can of evaporated milk together and pour over chicken (deboned and torn into pieces).  So, I think mixing together first would work for you.  

• Like 1

Well, I got the results of the second squish and ultrasound. Looks like I get the fun, fun experience of a biopsy. Butt.

ETA: I've been following Hornblower's journey, and I'm so glad that those little ice packs got mentioned. Will be asking for those.

Edited by Critterfixer

I'm waiting on my doctor to call me back so we can get this set up. Not quite the December planning I had in mind.

ETA: I wonder if they will sedate me, or just use a local block? I'm liable to bite without proper restraint.

Edited by Critterfixer

Alex ate Mary's oatmeal while we were picking up. There were crocodile tears. He is unrepentant.

Good Wednesday Morning.

COFFEE!!!!

HUMPH day.

How the Camel Got His Wednesday.

Well, I got the results of the second squish and ultrasound. Looks like I get the fun, fun experience of a biopsy. Butt.

ETA: I've been following Hornblower's journey, and I'm so glad that those little ice packs got mentioned. Will be asking for those.

(((Critter)))
  • Like 4

I used to have bird feeders out front under our beautiful maple tree.  But then a couple of years ago we had to cut down the maple because the roots were cracking the foundation of the house.  And putting birdfeeders out front just wasn't happening because it was too hot there and there was no cover for the birds.  So right before my birthday I had the thought that I could move the birdfeeders to the back deck.  Why did it take me a couple of years to have that thought?  I love watching the birds while I'm working in the kitchen! 

• Like 7

(Note to self: Next year plan to take off the entire month of December. Except for instrument practice. And maybe half a math lesson/day. Maybe. :o )

Some chick on the internet takes off the week of Thanksgiving to the week of New Year. I could get behind that. Maybe 6 weeks in the winter and six weeks in the summer? That could work.

• Like 6

Some chick on the internet takes off the week of Thanksgiving to the week of New Year. I could get behind that. Maybe 6 weeks in the winter and six weeks in the summer? That could work.

Or, depending on your family you could have independent assigned work from Thanksgiving to New Year. Music, math, journaling, reading. Something basic that would not involve work for Mom. This would only work if Mom didn't have to nag to get it done, otherwise it's just unnecessary stress and takes away the whole point.

• Like 3

Brilliant!

Or, depending on your family you could have independent assigned work from Thanksgiving to New Year. Music, math, journaling, reading. Something basic that would not involve work for Mom. This would only work if Mom didn't have to nag to get it done, otherwise it's just unnecessary stress and takes away the whole point.

I think part of it is that they need a break too.  But maybe there are a few things that would be beneficial, but still feel break-ish.  

• Like 3

I think my greatest weakness as a homeschool mother is disciplining children.

Unless they really are objectively extra crazy and I’m doing well all things considered.

I can never decide what the answer is to that one. 🤨

Oh brother booyah

Whatever the answer is, a good sense of humor is part of it, I'm convinced. 

• Like 2

Brilliant!

I think part of it is that they need a break too.  But maybe there are a few things that would be beneficial, but still feel break-ish.

If you decide what you want them to do I would say that it needs to be done by X o clock. If it's a small enough task everything could be done by breakfast. This would make almost the entire day a break but still exercising their brains on a daily basis.

I think my greatest weakness as a homeschool mother is disciplining children.

Unless they really are objectively extra crazy and I’m doing well all things considered.

I can never decide what the answer is to that one. 🤨

Oh brother booyah

Mine would be self discipline. By far.
  • Like 1

Um, what? 👀

Is this a version of "I like big (bottoms) and I cannot lie?" 

Ds anticipated my only question at this juncture.  She is a Christian.  There are other questions down the road to consider regarding compatibility but this is our starting point. 

I’m guessing bottom land would be better agriculturally speaking in KY...but...I wondered about that too.

Agricultural reference.  :D

Yes!

Just asking if she's got good farm land.  (Said a different way, one grandfather of mine use to say - to his daughters - "You can fall in love with a rich man as easily as a poor one."   :w00t: )

• Like 5

If you decide what you want them to do I would say that it needs to be done by X o clock. If it's a small enough task everything could be done by breakfast. This would make almost the entire day a break but still exercising their brains on a daily basis.

Mine would be self discipline. By far.

Unless they don't get started until 11:30.   :willy_nilly:  :leaving:   Break would be a heck of a time to re-institute Family Morning Time!   :eek:

• Like 4

I have to go get my hair cut and colored later today, thus banishing the possum for another eight weeks or so. Pizza crusts are in the oven. I made a whole basket of mushrooms to put on pizzas today and the next time I make them. Marinara is made. I think I'll make the sausage and pepperoni when I get back, though.

• Like 2

Being Mennonite, you generally have to play the Mennonite Game every time you meet someone with a Mennonite name like Enns, Friesen, Harder, Klassen, Penner, Thiessen, etc. You have to find out their grandparent’s names as far back as you can go, find out where they are from (generally some place in Kansas or Oklahoma - Hillsboro, Kansas gives you the most clout) and then see if you are somehow related to each other. When I was in high school we had to do a family tree and back when I was at that high school, there were a lot of Mennonite kids (it’s actually a Mennonite-started school). We all discovered a bunch of 2nd and 3rd cousins we never knew we had.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Although I don’t think my grandparents ever cared if anyone was well off or not. They wanted to know if they were Catholic and if they were related to anyone we knew.

Marrying a poor man was the most disappointing thing I'd ever done. At least until I got fat.

:grouphug: I hope it's nothing. 

• Like 1

Diaper rash cream works well on noses chafed from tissues and viruses. My kids think it's disgusting but I'm desperate. 

I have no idea what to get anyone for Christmas and no desire to shop. Everything looks blah. Big kids are boring. I miss the days when I was hiding dollhouses and train sets. Even Baby...there's no fun in shopping for a 2 month old. 

DH retires in 6mos and will quit working long before that!  :ohmy: I've wanted this for so long but now it feels a little scary. People keep saying he should stay home and I should work but people are morons. My MS is so old and dusty that I don't even know where I'd start to look for a job and it wasn't in a high paying field anyway. I think I'd need to go get a 2nd masters to make myself relevant. 

• Like 5

We used to do that, before starting CC.  Loved it!  Especially since we were still traveling for Christmas then and it was a doubly insane time of year.  Plus, dh was professoring at that point and it kind of fit with the college schedule.  

CC now goofs up our lovely little routine, but we still get a decent-sized break.  My older kids still do independent work (reading, piano, CC review stuff, math games) but I'm essentially on break from mid-December to mid-January. 

This year I might keep up with Spelling, though.  We'll see.   :001_huh:

• Like 4