• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I only posted my thanksgiving story above because it bothers me often around the holidays, and since y'all are my besties, I needed to unload.

I'm sorry it bothers you.  :grouphug: Their deaths were untimely wrt the situation/not being able to make up, but if their behavior was such that they caused you to make the choice you did, I think you should stop beating yourself up over your decision.  It was the best you could do at the time for the sake of the well-being your immediate family.  ITT would probably have advised you to do what you did, even, had we been around. 

My advice would be to focus on THIS holiday, not one way back when. 

• Like 5

And I just told them I'm tired of homeschooling people who don't listen or want to make an effort! I'm grumpy.

I hear you, honey. I'm tired of homeschooling a certain 11 year old girl who does have trouble learning, but just wants to write down any old answer and gets mad at me when I mark it wrong and try, calmly, to explain it to her. She gets mad at me and refuses to listen or even try to understand.
  • Like 4

I am sick of math. I have three that just struggle and struggle. The only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that if they were in public school they would just keep on getting passed along and then they'll end up in junior college chemistry with my friend who teaches it and complains that her students don't even know basic math. At least I stop and remediate until I feel like they get it,

• Like 7

:grouphug: Krissi.

From the yowling in a certain direction, I anticipate having to soothe a turtle who gets extra snappy when misses math problems on a test. I aim for B scores--he got that. But he's still grumpy. So glad that after math there's just NaNo, and free reading, relaxing and a history video to watch tonight.

ETA: It's a curmudgeonly chelonian Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Dh had wanted to get an induction range.  It was even more expensive than what we got so I said "no".  I've been cooking with an induction plate and was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake not going with induction.  The induction is so fast!  But I have discovered that I have to put my main cookware "just so" to get it to work (because the entire surface isn't magnetic) so now I'm glad that I didn't get an induction.  No real point to this but it was an epiphany. 

• Like 6

And I just got grumpy with Subway. Dd asked for the italiano melt. I pointed to the sign and asked for it and said the whole name. Italiano melt. The lady proceeds to make it and asks dd what veggies, etc. I asked if that wasn't supposed to be toasted. Because the veggies were already on it by this point. She said Honey they're only toasted if you ask or if it's a melt. I pointed out the sign which said italiano melt. She looked back and said well they're not toasted unless you ask. Dd just said it's fine let's go. I'm still angry. Can't beat stupid. The lady was super sweet about it though.

Our local Subway is only staffed by surly people. I swear that they give them a personality test and only hire the surly ones. . .

• Like 4

Sigh.  The induction plate would not boil water for pasta.  It just WOULD NOT.  The water got hot.  I could see steam.  But 20 minutes on the burner and no boil at all.  So I transferred everything to the microwave and am trying to do it there only the instructions I'm following aren't quite working.  Double sigh. 

• Like 1

Well, that was a colossal waste of time and ingredients.  The huge congealed lump of pasta has been tossed.  The microwave has been totally cleaned out.  And now it is plan C.  This is one way to diet. . .

Well, at least you know what won't work on your induction plate... :grouphug:

• Like 2

She's gone and joined a song-and-dance troupe.  

Really.  Apparently ds10 went down to the piano a few minutes ago and composed a piece entitled "The Wealthy Scottish Prince." Now three of them are marching behind him singing it. 

Methinks it's time for spelling.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 5

I just commented to a co-worker that she looks fantastic and super skinny.  I know she has been losing weight, so I wanted to give her a little pat on the back to make her feel good, ya know?  Well, she told me that she has lost 107 pounds in the last 3 years, and that's with a pregnancy stuck in there!!  I had no idea she had lost that much. 

The best part, to me, is that she is seemingly also a HAPPIER, NICER person, and not so mean.  But I didn't tell her that part.  :leaving:

• Like 9

The nut bill??

Only the Nuts who are my children.

Can you call them and see if they will take a check over the phone?

It's not an emergency, really. Just an installment of a children's choir payment. But you have to mail it in. I suspect they'll overlook it this time, but I hate being late with those things.
  • Like 2

My parents are coming today. They are staying for 10 nights.  :svengo: I will take all the chocolate and bourbon you have now...just pass it over. But really, I am determined to be nice and patient and do things differently this time. I will have a mantra in my head about how they are old and we never know how long life will be. I have tried to sufficiently lower their expectations, so hopefully they will be more patient as well. 

I have things to do and don't want to do anything but sit on my butt or maybe go sleep with Baby. But I will do all of some of the things! 

I spilled my coffee all over my last cozy, warm shirt. I need coffee before I can try to drink my coffee!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

You can lower their expectations even more by greeting them in just your bra, explaining how you really need to do laundry....

(j/k)

(unless you really want to, and then I'm serious)

:leaving:

• Like 5