Menu

Ignore this thread!

OK - we're off to a block party with new neighbors.  I'll see if dh wants to come.  If he does, that will be great, though I'm sort of expecting that he'll want to stay home and study.  Ds and I are definitely going.  Dd definitely isn't as she's babysitting the cutest little 4 year old boy down the street tonight for the first time.  (Her first baby sitting gigs were for a couple of "very challenging kids" and I think this gig will be a walk in the park in comparison.)  Ds made pico de gallo and I have tortilla chips and dd contributed some of her homemade chocolate chip cookie for the party.  

• Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Monday is a spinach frittata with avocado and papaya, salad made of lettuce spinach grilled chicken red wallpapers avocado and homemade mayonnaise, and chicken with gaspacho. Awesome typo!

I would eat that.  I would even eat wallpapers.  Sounds chewy.

You really that you're mostly asking a bunch of gringo's right?  

Jean used an apostrophe to pluralize! :huh:

corn is not a nightshade.  Chili powder is!  

Forgot about the peppers.

I've thrown a few curse words your way (though not referring to you) unless you consider them too soft to be real.  

You are so soft I never noticed.

I would agree with this. The town we live in is about 80% Hispanic, there is a Mexican restaurant and/or taco truck on every street. And I have never seen stacked enchiladas. They are always rolled.

I rest my case for the second time.  Thanks for having my back!

New member of the family that dh brought home from work today. She was shy and hiding under the chair

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NQnUzc1lhTEhESFk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4Nb3lyOUltcjVxNFE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4Nd0k3WHRfN1lweG8/view?usp=sharing

The older member. She's about 7-8 pounds. The other pup is bigger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NT1AtUkQwZFkwNzQ/view?usp=sharing

From my garden- summer squash. I finally got a picture. These aren't the biggest we've had, but it's all good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NS0l1UjVYR1BLcUk/view?usp=sharing

Okay, I'm done. For now. Going back for homework.

Are you keeping the pup?

Nice squash. :coolgleamA:

I would agree with this. The town we live in is about 80% Hispanic, there is a Mexican restaurant and/or taco truck on every street. And I have never seen stacked enchiladas. They are always rolled.

I've already stated that most restaurants roll due to time constraints. But, we will have to clarify that in the US. Dh has just clarified again that in his part of Mexico, they do, indeed, serve them flat, so it's not a NM thing. I've not met a flat (stacked) enchilada in a restaurant in my part of NM, although I'm told they exist.

Are you keeping the pup?

Nice squash. :coolgleamA:

I told dh that if he decides to leave, to take the pup with him. Looks like she's staying.

Lots of squash. I've never had this much squash at this time of year. I'm going to have to start the shred-and-freeze soon.

• Like 3

Nice squashes! The round ones look vaguely like pumpkins. I need pumpkins. I need to be reminded that fall will come again.

Sigh. I think it's still around 95F. The cicadas are the only happy things out there. 

I never have had a whole lot of success with squash of any kind. We usually get two crops of enthusiastic squash bugs per growing season. They get what the borers don't destroy. The only year I got good squash I spent every morning going through every plant with a pair of scissors and destroying every squash bug I found. Then I'd do it again at night and get the ones I missed. I couldn't get the second round of squash bugs, but taking out the first generation at least gave the squash a chance in, well, a summer here. That can stand in for the hot place. :D Just so I don't swear.

My husband has left both debit cards in the ATM machine this past week. We have no debit card. Yay.

I don't even know what to say about this.

My husband has dropped hundred dollar bills (one at a time, like stacked enchiladas) three separate times. Never recovered.

• Like 1

Nice squashes! The round ones look vaguely like pumpkins. I need pumpkins. I need to be reminded that fall will come again.

Sigh. I think it's still around 95F. The cicadas are the only happy things out there. 

I never have had a whole lot of success with squash of any kind. We usually get two crops of enthusiastic squash bugs per growing season. They get what the borers don't destroy. The only year I got good squash I spent every morning going through every plant with a pair of scissors and destroying every squash bug I found. Then I'd do it again at night and get the ones I missed. I couldn't get the second round of squash bugs, but taking out the first generation at least gave the squash a chance in, well, a summer here. That can stand in for the hot place. :D Just so I don't swear.

This is the first year I've noticed squash bugs. I had to google them because I had no idea what they were. Yes, we spend mornings and evenings catching and drowning them, as well as finding eggs and crushing them. Fun stuff.

The round squash I planted are French (ronde de something). I remember the first time I planted  a long time ago, they were Spanish, but I couldn't find those. They are really good.

• Like 2

My husband has dropped hundred dollar bills (one at a time, like stacked enchiladas) three separate times. Never recovered.

Mine isn't allowed to carry cash anymore. It's his cargo shorts and digging through them quickly. I said he could toss all of his cargo shorts or he couldn't carry cash anymore and he chose to keep his shorts.

• Like 3

I have another presentation due this upcoming Wednesday. It is the last major assignment for one of my classes. You guys can help me choose a template in Prezi. We were to choose a topic about play (this is an early childhood class, birth through grade 3), and my topic will be Play in a Multilingual Classroom.

Which template do you like? I can envision either. I can change the color of the background of both, but the main picture would stay.

Picture frame (I can replace the pictures with my own): http://prezi.com/eafwifs_mvxn/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

Building blocks: http://prezi.com/bd6dvv7kslqd/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

Mine isn't allowed to carry cash anymore. It's his cargo shorts and digging through them quickly. I said he could toss all of his cargo shorts or he couldn't carry cash anymore and he chose to keep his shorts.

Doesn't he have a wallet?

All of this bothers me how folks lose so much money and so many debit cards.

I don't like either. The paint one was awesome. The artwork isn't appropriate for the age level and the legos are ugly. Sorry.

Yes, the legos are ugly, and I was trying to change the color of the legos, but doesn't seem like I can. I can only change the background color. The artwork I was going to change out for pictures of the classroom and kids in action, so that one is flexible.

Yes, the legos are ugly, and I was trying to change the color of the legos, but doesn't seem like I can. I can only change the background color. The artwork I was going to change out for pictures of the classroom and kids in action, so that one is flexible.

I like this idea.

• Like 1

No, her husband lost cash, too.  And she told him it was his cash or his shorts, and he kept the shorts.  You both have husbands that lose cash.

And my dh has a wallet, too. It's been a long time since he's lost money, though.

I have another presentation due this upcoming Wednesday. It is the last major assignment for one of my classes. You guys can help me choose a template in Prezi. We were to choose a topic about play (this is an early childhood class, birth through grade 3), and my topic will be Play in a Multilingual Classroom.

Which template do you like? I can envision either. I can change the color of the background of both, but the main picture would stay.

Picture frame (I can replace the pictures with my own): http://prezi.com/eafwifs_mvxn/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

Building blocks: http://prezi.com/bd6dvv7kslqd/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

What about this template? Don't have a title yet. http://prezi.com/sbvjnh_6ckwy/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

I'm trying to understand how he lost his cash if he has a wallet.  He didn't put the cash in the wallet but shoved it into his pockets?

He doesn't put in in his wallet when he's in a hurry. He just shoves it in his pockets and drops it when he's rummaging through them.

Yes. It's a point of contention here. He left his cards in the actual ATM machine though. A wallet would not have helped.

It was my husband that lost cash.

No, her husband lost cash, too.  And she told him it was his cash or his shorts, and he kept the shorts.  You both have husbands that lose cash.

And my dh has a wallet, too. It's been a long time since he's lost money, though.

Ladies!  Why on earth are you allowing men to handle money? :huh:

• Like 4

Ladies!  Why on earth are you allowing men to handle money? :huh:

I handle the money. What happened in each of my dh's cases, is he got paid cash, went to the store (gas station) for his fix, and dropped a hundred. It happened three times. Usually when he gets paid, he gives me the money, and he gets to keep some. :D

• Like 1

I just got back from a block party.  The host and hostess have 4 small children.  They homeschool!  I met a lot of neighbors that live on the block behind me.  One Polish lady was introducing me around to the others as the 'white Japanese person'.   :lol:   PS - she just about flipped when my ds told her that he had learned Latin.  She was sooooo impressed.  (Try explaining classical education to a Chinese couple, Polish couple and a Dutch lady.  They all speak very good English but the concept of another type of schooling was rather difficult to explain esp. when I really hadn't planned on giving a dissertation on educational philosophy!)

PS - I used an apostrophe to pluralize gringo because I didn't know what the correct plural would be for that noun.  So I added an American "s" to a Spanish word and put an apostrophe where I changed from one language to another.

• Like 6

I just got back from a block party. The host and hostess have 4 small children. They homeschool! I met a lot of neighbors that live on the block behind me. One Polish lady was introducing me around to the others as the 'white Japanese person'. :lol: PS - she just about flipped when my ds told her that he had learned Latin. She was sooooo impressed. (Try explaining classical education to a Chinese couple, Polish couple and a Dutch lady. They all speak very good English but the concept of another type of schooling was rather difficult to explain esp. when I really hadn't planned on giving a dissertation on educational philosophy!)

PS - I used an apostrophe to pluralize gringo because I didn't know what the correct plural would be for that noun. So I added an American "s" to a Spanish word and put an apostrophe where I changed from one language to another.

Are you 1/2 white and 1/2 Japanese? Are you supposed to use an apostrophe when changing between languages? Or are you supposed to use an apostrophe when changing between languages when you're 1/2 white and 1/2 Japanese?

• Like 2

Well, I was asleep, and then I wasn't. 

Nothing to be done but read the forum and hope it will lull me back towards a sleepy state. 

I realized Tex referred to a Dugger thread I was unaware of.  (Turns out it was active while we were at the pool for 5 days straight, but I digress). 

I searched the chat board for Dugger and did not find it.  I stalked Tex's posts and did not find it. 

Finally I googled the board with "Dugger rug" and found it.  Sure enough, Tex's crazy rug scheme was the first hit. 

I think I can go back to sleep now....

• Like 6

I am 100% white European American.  I just happen to have been born in Japan.  

I don't know the rules about changing from one language to another.  That is why we have Queen Ellie - to rule on such matters (as well as to give us hulas.)

gringos.

Looks weird, but there it is. 

• Like 4