• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Ok, this sun salad dressing is the bomb. I brought it in and spooned it over some chunks of slightly stale French bread and sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese on top. Wowza!

Recipe:

7-8 vine ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped

3 shallots (I just chopped up onion, I don't have shallots)

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 c olive oil

1/4 c balsamic vinegar

2 tbs. Slivered fresh basil

2 tbs. Parsley

1 tsp. sugar

Salt and pepper

Mix in glass bowl, cover tightly, place in sun for 4-5 hours. Keep in fridge, but serve at room temp. Is also good on pasta or bread salad.

• Like 8

When we signed for our apartment we paid over $2,700 in deposits and $1,800 of it was supposed to be refunded if we lived there for 2 years but they didn't give it back. I'm unclear on the details but we need the money and I'm very upset. We were supposed to have it 2 weeks ago. We've also lived in this place for over a month and our washer and dishwasher are still broken. I'm frustrated and tired.

DH is working late this evening.  I'm all pooped out from personal training and rather full from a very late lunch.  I told the kids to go scrounge for their supper.

See what a good parent I am?  Today's lesson: self-sufficiency!

• Like 1

When we signed for our apartment we paid over $2,700 in deposits and $1,800 of it was supposed to be refunded if we lived there for 2 years but they didn't give it back. I'm unclear on the details but we need the money and I'm very upset. We were supposed to have it 2 weeks ago. We've also lived in this place for over a month and our washer and dishwasher are still broken. I'm frustrated and tired.

:grouphug:

• Like 3

Start looking around for legal aid.  A friend of mine (lives in a different state than you or me) recently found a non-profit that works with lawyers willing to do pro bono work to help out folks who can't afford a lawyer.  See if you can find an organization like that where you are.

• Like 1

Matt needs to kick some butt.  I know of someone with a bazooka to loan him. 

• Like 5

Start looking around for legal aid. A friend of mine (lives in a different state than you or me) recently found a non-profit that works with lawyers willing to do pro bono work to help out folks who can't afford a lawyer. See if you can find an organization like that where you are.

We've found one. We're gathering proof now. They say we aren't supposed to get it back and I'm afraid they're right.

Ok, this sun salad dressing is the bomb. I brought it in and spooned it over some chunks of slightly stale French bread and sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese on top. Wowza!

Recipe:

7-8 vine ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped

3 shallots (I just chopped up onion, I don't have shallots)

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 c olive oil

1/4 c balsamic vinegar

2 tbs. Slivered fresh basil

2 tbs. Parsley

1 tsp. sugar

Salt and pepper

Mix in glass bowl, cover tightly, place in sun for 4-5 hours. Keep in fridge, but serve at room temp. Is also good on pasta or bread salad.

I think I should share this with my MIL.  She's very fond of sun tea, and this salad dressing sounds like something she'd like.  Shoot, it's a form of vinaigrette, so DH should like it, too, and the kids would probably like cucumbers marinated in it.

You have a plot to spoil me for eating salad plain, don't you?

We've found one. We're gathering proof now. They say we aren't supposed to get it back and I'm afraid they're right.

$2700 is awfully steep for deposits, especially if they aren't fully refunded if you leave the place clean and in good repair.  Did you get the agreed-upon refunded amount in writing?

As for your current place:  You've signed a lease, right?  You should be able to serve them notice of non-compliance with the contract.

• Like 1

I should count my blessings. We aren't hungry and our bills are paid. Well... they will be when I get off my lazy butt. I just really wanted a small debt paid off and I wanted a printer. I'm just a little bummed.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

The contract doesn't say we get the painting deposit back, he just told us it did. The lease had about 20 pages of fine print and he showed it to me but it was like 4 hours into signing so I think he was wrong or lying.

Painting deposit is $1,800.

Edited by Slache

OK - tell me straight.  (I can take it.)  We are discussing a lower mortgage with a company.  They have averaged two or three calls a week to "see if they can answer any questions" as a way to keep us hopefully moving toward actually signing with them.  We are slow because dh works two jobs and I "work" a job and a half with all I do and we hardly have time to sit down with all the paperwork.  Anyway. . . now another guy (supervisor?  other hard-sell guy?) has started to call as well so now I'm getting multiple calls a day.  I just chewed the new guy out because I think that is harassment and it is making me want to not sign with them at all.  (Except that they are offering a good deal so we probably will sign something in the end.  Ironically, drawing this out has actually made the interest rates go down so it has been in our favor.) 

• Like 1

OK - tell me straight. (I can take it.) We are discussing a lower mortgage with a company. They have averaged two or three calls a week to "see if they can answer any questions" as a way to keep us hopefully moving toward actually signing with them. We are slow because dh works two jobs and I "work" a job and a half with all I do and we hardly have time to sit down with all the paperwork. Anyway. . . now another guy (supervisor? other hard-sell guy?) has started to call as well so now I'm getting multiple calls a day. I just chewed the new guy out because I think that is harassment and it is making me want to not sign with them at all. (Except that they are offering a good deal so we probably will sign something in the end. Ironically, drawing this out has actually made the interest rates go down so it has been in our favor.)

What's the problem?

The contract doesn't say we get the painting deposit back, he just told us it did. The lease had about 20 pages of fine print and he showed it to me but it was like 4 hours into signing so I think he was wrong or lying.

:grouphug: :grouphug: In the future, ask them "can you point to where that is in writing?" and if they can't, say "can you please put that in writing then so that there are no misunderstandings?" 

• Like 1

:grouphug: :grouphug: In the future, ask them "can you point to where that is in writing?" and if they can't, say "can you please put that in writing then so that there are no misunderstandings?"

I know. I was stupid. I had just had a baby, my baby had surgery, and then we flew across the country. I'm pretty sure it's all my fault and there's nothing I can do.

The problem is multiple people calling me to ask if "I have any questions". I just talked to the first guy twenty minutes ago and now this bozo is wasting my time.

No, I mean what are we telling you straight? It all sounds great, aside from the phone calls.

No, I mean what are we telling you straight? It all sounds great, aside from the phone calls.

Am I ok for telling the second guy off for calling me?  He really irritated me.  (The first guy and I now get along famously after I roasted him for calling me 9 times one day and not leaving any messages.  I wonder if there is pressure from above in the company.) 

Fixed, right? No early payoff penalties?

Fixed.  I don't think there are penalties.  He sent me the contract so I'll have to read all the fine print. 

Am I ok for telling the second guy off for calling me? He really irritated me. (The first guy and I now get along famously after I roasted him for calling me 9 times one day and not leaving any messages. I wonder if there is pressure from above in the company.)

Fixed. I don't think there are penalties. He sent me the contract so I'll have to read all the fine print.

Yes, you're good. Sorry. They're used to it anyway.
  • Like 1

(((Slache))) deceitful landlords stink.

• Like 2

I had an appointment with my neuro today.  I wish all doctors were as good as he is.  Dh and I walked out of the office 15 minutes after my scheduled appointment time.  My meds seem to be working (at least keeping the pain levels down).  He wants me to continue at the higher dose I just started and come back in a month or so.  And he told me that melatonin might help with the sleeplessness, so I picked up some of that at the grocery store this evening.

• Like 7

OK - tell me straight.  (I can take it.)  We are discussing a lower mortgage with a company.  They have averaged two or three calls a week to "see if they can answer any questions" as a way to keep us hopefully moving toward actually signing with them.  We are slow because dh works two jobs and I "work" a job and a half with all I do and we hardly have time to sit down with all the paperwork.  Anyway. . . now another guy (supervisor?  other hard-sell guy?) has started to call as well so now I'm getting multiple calls a day.  I just chewed the new guy out because I think that is harassment and it is making me want to not sign with them at all.  (Except that they are offering a good deal so we probably will sign something in the end.  Ironically, drawing this out has actually made the interest rates go down so it has been in our favor.) 

DO NOT.  This IS harassment, and they are trying to force you into something.

Tell them to stop contacting you, remove you from their call list, and do not call again.  Tell them why they are losing your business.

DO NOT sign with them.  If they are resorting to such rabid hard-sell tactics there is something there that will get YOU.  Tell them to get stuffed (in polite, dispassionate phrasing), and go find someplace else.

Research other well-known reputable lenders online.  Check them out with the BBB.  Do NOT sign with these guys, no matter how good that interest rate looks.  Take the time to do your homework and due diligence CAREFULLY -- if it takes you each weeks to read everything and think it through then so be it.  The potential downside of not doing so can be catastrophic.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, Slashie.  The legal aid folks might find a way, but I'm afraid you are likely out the money.  I hope they prove me wrong.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

On the brighter side:  the music lessons people emailed me back with available back-to-back time slots for lessons for my girls, so I have now signed them up.  If more students can be found to take lessons with them we will pay the group rate (which locks us into semester-long commitments), and if no other students can be found we will pay the higher-but-still-manageable private lesson rates (which only locks us into giving one calendar month's notice if we decide to end the lessons, basically).

I think either way I am okay with this, and the girls are happily looking forward to starting lessons in September.

Kind of makes up (in my mind, at least) for being too tired after personal training to actually make much progress on cleaning up the homeschool room.  I am going to really feel today's training tomorrow, I'm sure.

• Like 3

It's so funny how happy I was for you just now.  :lol:

I was happy for me too! I was less happy that the UPS driver backed out over the lateral lines. :scared: Here's hoping they held.

But I am now surrounded by Latin that will kill me, French that will bury me, and Logic that might give me a hand if I get as far as Purgatory, so I'm good.

• Like 4

Today dd10 spelled the name of her home state, "tenise". She was closest on "Texis".

Sigh. I am a failure.

DS's spelling today:

problome for problem

funy for funny

I don't think we've ever covered Pennsylvania.  So I'm a failure, too. :)

• Like 3

Lateral lines?

Septic tank stuff. UPS got them once. Not fun to fix. Stinky.

ETA: DH went out and surveyed--he thinks they missed it this time. Maybe it's a good thing we haven't gotten rain this week. The ground was hard.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

I was happy for me too! I was less happy that the UPS driver backed out over the lateral lines. :scared: Here's hoping they held.

But I am now surrounded by Latin that will kill me, French that will bury me, and Logic that might give me a hand if I get as far as Purgatory, so I'm good.

What are lateral lines and how could he back over them?

• Like 1

Septic tank stuff. UPS got them once. Not fun to fix. Stinky.

ETA: DH went out and surveyed--he thinks they missed it this time. Maybe it's a good thing we haven't gotten rain this week. The ground was hard.

Phew!  (in relief, not from the smell)