Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning.

I love coffee. I'm on my second cup. So good.

Not much happening here today. Just the regular stuff.

Hope y'all have a delightful day.

Booya!!!!!

Susan's song

Math and grammarville song

Good morning, and happy Booya(h)!

What are the two songs you are referring to?

• Like 1

• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

DD12 asked for and received bars of soap and some carving supplies for her birthday.

There are rather inexpensive armored gloves, designed for kitchen use, available on Amazon now. A couple years back I picked some up in small and medium sizes for the girls to wear when they start working with sharp knives. These gloves are knit with Kevlar and completely washable. They work great protecting against slashes and press-cuts, though the knit can allow some small puncture wounds to occur. DD12 has co-opted one of these gloves for her soap carving now. She says the knit also helps her grip the soap more securely, too.

Some of her carving tools are rather thin and pointy, so I might look around for a flexible but tough bit of leather for her toolkit, too.

I'm going to do soap carving with the younger kids (8 to 11) at camp. I make safe carving tools out of Popsicle sticks since I can't risk them taking out an eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Good morning!

I got the rest of my need-in-order-to-really-start supplies, so we start school in earnest tomorrow. I only got in 2 days last week. I'm going for at least 3 this week. LOL

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

I've got a short week of school because of party day. We always take a trip to an amusement park as part of the end of the school/beginning of school festivities. I know it is a festivity, because this yearly trip appears on the boys' epiphany lists for poetry. We are easily amused. 

I want to celebrate my Camp NaNo win. I wonder what I should give myself for a prize?

• Like 3

Susan's song-The ITT anthem and fight song

Math n' Grammarville -What the ITT saves me from... :D

They should be on Renai's google drive pages, but I can't seem to get it to load fully right now to double check. :(. I only see the first page of each section.

• Like 1

Susan's song-The ITT anthem and fight song

Math n' Grammarville -What the ITT saves me from... :D

Ah.  I'm not familiar with Math 'n' Grammarville, but I can google that.

As for the ITT anthem, do you mean the This is the thread that never ends song?

• Like 4

I'm going to do soap carving with the younger kids (8 to 11) at camp. I make safe carving tools out of Popsicle sticks since I can't risk them taking out an eye

Wimp. Dangerous tools is the only redeeming value of soap carving.

Actually, I've never carved soap.

I carved stone once in high school. Gave me a much deeper appreciation for the masters.

• Like 4

Ah. I'm not familiar with Math 'n' Grammarville, but I can google that.

As for the ITT anthem, do you mean the This is the thread that never ends song?

Yes. I think it became "Susan's song" because she still faithfully posts it with her Booyahs.

• Like 3

Wimp. Dangerous tools is the only redeeming value of soap carving.

Actually, I've never carved soap.

I carved stone once in high school. Gave me a much deeper appreciation for the masters.

With 20 kids under the age of 11, you bet I'm a wimp!  The Popsicle stick tools were something I found recommended (along with suggestions on how to make them) in this book.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/soap-carving-howard-k-suzuki/1112141354?ean=9780764308598&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP648&k_clickid=3x648

• Like 4

Yep, I'm lazy. If I ever find time to mess with my new laptop, I shall search for the songs and copy them. It is hard to do with my kindle fire, or maybe I just don't know how. 'Tis more likely. ;)

It is thundering here. We have had a lot of rain this summer. It has come a shower everyday this past week, and I believe it will this week as well. It has been nice; we haven't had to haul any water. But it puts the timber guy even more behind schedule.

• Like 4

No rain here. That's not good. But the grass is still green, so I will sing the song of the grasshopper and not think about what things will look like at the end of August.

Spent most of the morning racing with word sprints and encouraging a cabin mate who wanted to make her goal for camp! She got there!

• Like 2

Yes. I think it became "Susan's song" because she still faithfully posts it with her Booyahs.

Needed to clarify.  I wondered if I missed something while I was gone.

Maybe it's time we wrote some more verses.  I'll have to think.  Anybody else think of any lately?  The thread That Never Ends is sung to the tune of The Song That Never Ends.   :laugh:  It's a joint work-in-progress.

• Like 1

With 20 kids under the age of 11, you bet I'm a wimp!  The Popsicle stick tools were something I found recommended (along with suggestions on how to make them) in this book.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/soap-carving-howard-k-suzuki/1112141354?ean=9780764308598&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP648&k_clickid=3x648

Now you've done it,  just when I was ready to go to check-out at Amazon you add another book to my ooo-I've-got-to-get-that list.

• Like 1

No rain here. That's not good. But the grass is still green, so I will sing the song of the grasshopper and not think about what things will look like at the end of August.

Spent most of the morning racing with word sprints and encouraging a cabin mate who wanted to make her goal for camp! She got there!

Hooray for cabin mate!  'Way to go!

• Like 2

*sigh*  Being a "good citizen" can be detrimental to getting on with the other work of life.  I have spent far too much time this morning educating myself on political issues and candidates.  The sad thing is I'm not much further along than I was before.  *sigh*  

Oh, well, I have through the end of October to figure that out.  Starting the new school year is more time-pressing, so back to that I go!  It's more fun, anyway (aggravating and frustrating at times, but also fun).

• Like 1

Aaaaand, ordered!  I added that soap-carving book to the shopping cart, reviewed the other contents, saved some for later (since they won't actually be needed until Spring semester), and checked out.  Anything else being ordered for school from Amazon will have to be in another order, which is just as well.  I get jealous when a delivery truck hits our street and doesn't stop at our house.

ETA 'cuz I quoted the wrong post of my own.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

Okay, reality check for myself:

I have ordered in Language Arts, Logic, Histories, Sciences.  I have yet to sign up kids for Derek Owens, but my mind just isn't on that today and I should have some time.  I am waiting to hear back on music lessons, and I might have to stop by in person to get some answers.

Stuff I ordered should start arriving about the end of this week and once it comes in I will want to start plotting and planning lessons.  Consequently, the task I need to concentrate on for the next few days is getting the homeschool rooms cleared and cleaned so I have room to plot and plan.

There, next priority identified.  Okay, Ferbettes, I know what we are doing the next few days!

• Like 4

:grouphug: Jean. That would drive me nuts. But I hope dinner is good.

It drives me nuts too but what can you do? It's a cultural thing which tends to drive my Filipino relatives nuts too. The correct response after 23 years of being in a Filipino family is "oh well ". (These guests aren't family but it still applies)

• Like 4

In my cabin we have one person who wrote 94K this month! I realize that it's just a shade over 3000 a day, but wow! I wish I was that dedicated. Needless to say I went back and added my 2,500 that I wrote today to my word count for camp. 70K isn't too shabby. ^_^

• Like 4

Dd is doing a soap carving. 

When dd16 was younger - around 8-10 years old - she'd sometimes spend inordinate amounts of time in the bathroom. It usually ended with me later finding a carved piece of soap. A happy face, our names, hearts, crosses, etc. :D  :lol:

• Like 5

I've considered getting one to put in the kids' bathroom, too, back when I thought they would both end up studying Chemistry at the same time.  There's a very nice kinda Arts-&-Crafts-y stained glass shower curtain in there now that I really quite like, and the kids are splitting on science this year, so I guess I'll stick to smaller periodic tables.

It would have been totally cool, though.

Well, we only have one bathroom, so I told her no. But, she said she could hang it on the wall of her room.  :glare:

• Like 1

Good Morning!

COFFEE!

DS1 leaves for camp today after church.

Dh is going to Costco to get a mattress for dd's new bed. She's almost 6 and we're finally getting her out of the toddler bed. She's not happy about the whole thing. I let her pick out new sheets and everything, but... she wants her old bed. Oh well, change is difficult.

I have a bouquet of dead sunflowers on the table. I had these huge sunflower plants growing randomly in the garden. Finally I had DS yank them out yesterday. Or should I say, chop them down. They were just out of control and seriously harassing the tomatoes. But, no more sunflower bouquets.

I think dd16 was in her toddler bed until 6 or 7, because she still fit (didn't have a huge growth spurt until 8). Gymnast is still in a toddler bed - dh purchased it just a few months ago, actually. It's the only bed that will fit in this place.  :lol:

• Like 3

Ah.  I'm not familiar with Math 'n' Grammarville, but I can google that.

As for the ITT anthem, do you mean the This is the thread that never ends song?

Math n Grammarville cannot be googled because it was written by ITT. Oh, wait. Yes, it can be googled.

Hmmm, it seems that did not make it into the archive. Oh, I know - I had it in Word. I need to look for it on the computer.

• Like 3

Well, we only have one bathroom, so I told her no. But, she said she could hang it on the wall of her room.  :glare:

I'm actually thinking I COULD put it up as a curtain over the window in the homeschool room.  I don't even have to use a curtain rod -- DH has a lot of rare earth magnets we can use to magnet it to the trim strips around the edges of the window openings.

• Like 2

Math n Grammarville cannot be googled because it was written by ITT. Oh, wait. Yes, it can be googled.

Hmmm, it seems that did not make it into the archive. Oh, I know - I had it in Word. I need to look for it on the computer.

If you find it please do repost it.  It appears I DID miss a song while I was gone!

• Like 1

Math and Grammarville

By Critter and Ikslo

Livin’ on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won’t let me drop it,

I’ll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wastin’ away again in Math and Grammarville,

Hopin’ there’s a whole hour of art!

Some people say that there is knowledge to gain,

But I know;  I don’t want no part!

It sure isn’t pleasin’

All this logic and reason,

Getting shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin’

Buildin’ forts and be playin’

So I’m givin’ Mom my nastiest looks!

Refrain:

I’ve stalled and I’ve grumbled,

Dropped my pencil and fumbled,

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue.

But Mom isn’t buying,

All these tricks that I’m tryin,

And I’ll just have it all tomorrow to do!

Refrain:

Somebody--was it Lynn?--fixed the refrain to reflect a change of heart on the part of the student. :laugh:

• Like 8

I threw together supper tonight. I pan seared some shrimp, but there wasn't enough to feed us. DH had a bag of that instant rice stuff. I had him steam it, then I de-glazed my skillet with just a little water and added the steamed rice with a little butter and salt and got it all flavored. Then we had it with the shrimp. No leftovers! :001_smile:

• Like 7

So, I had told my haumana (members of my hula class) that I was NOT going to teach them "Tiny Bubbles" or "Mele Kalikimaka." Awful, Hollywood-themed quasi-hula. Ugh. But *my* kumu said that if we do occasional little shows at rehab/retirement homes (which will probably be about our speed), many of the residents are quite elderly, and that's how they remember hula and Hawaii. So I'm going to suck it up and teach a few of those terrible dances.

That is all.

• Like 10

Here I am!

I've been liking things here and there, but I couldn't post because my keyboard broke.  :(

My mouse has worked, so I could click around on tabs that were already opened.  I could check ITT and the main board.  News sites.  And I had a youtube tab open, so I could play my own warped version of "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" by clicking on recommended videos to try to get to something that interested me.  :)  I ended up on videos showing how to make sushi!   :D

• Like 9

I am hiding in the kitchen from the former neighbor Sunday night drop-off kids who are supposed to be picked up right now and the neighbor boys who are about to get the left foot of fellowship (i.e. Booted out of the house) They said they can stay until 8:00. Uh sorry, no.

Help, now the dad is here and giving dh a bottle of wine and dh is showing him the hammock we got dd for her 18th birthday. Please, everyone just GO AWAY!!

• Like 7

I had the remainder of my gluten free Godiva chocolate cheesecake for dinner.  I'm following that up with a dessert of hard-boiled eggs for protein. 

#lifeisshorteatdessertfirst

Is that from the Cheesecake Factory?  A gluten-free dessert?

So glad that my keyboard is working.  Off to google...   :)

ETA:  I just realized that I have a Godiva Chocolate Booyah!!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7