• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I need to decide if I will teach Sunday School this year. I was thinking about volunteering in the nursery instead, but I know how hard it is to find people to teach classes. There are only 6 children's classes (preschool to 8th grade) and they need 3 teachers/assistants per class.

I am having anxiety at just the question of whether to teach Sunday School classes or not.  You are a better woman than I am!  (I already knew that!)

It's a Sunday School Teaching anxiety booyah!

(Oh, what a terrible booyah!)

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Krissi, the one by Sobel is part of a series I've had my eye on. We'll probably go through the whole thing in 4 or 8 years.

Susan, you mention being busy a lot. Just something to keep in mind.

I was asked to teach Jr church and turned it down because I felt like a hypocrite as we don't send our kids to Jr church. They'd go to Sunday school if we went but 2 1/2 hours is too long for them to pay attention. We get a lot of flack for not sending them so they can learn about God. I guess I'm not qualified to do so without proper schooling.

• Like 4

Krissi, the one by Sobel is part of a series I've had my eye on. We'll probably go through the whole thing in 4 or 8 years.

Susan, you mention being busy a lot. Just something to keep in mind. You're right.

I was asked to teach Jr church and turned it down because I felt like a hypocrite as we don't send our kids to Jr church. They'd go to Sunday school if we went but 2 1/2 hours is too long for them to pay attention. We get a lot of flack for not sending them so they can learn about God. I guess I'm not qualified to do so without proper schooling.

Super Mega Eyeroll.

• Like 3

Good morning.

I slept longer than I wanted, but I was so tired.

We have to go to the big town about an hour away to do some shopping. I had some books spiral bound at Staples. I'm glad it is done. I had been wanting to get the books done all summer, but there is never enough time.

Happy 18th birthday, Susan's dd. :party:

:grouphug: Krissi

I hope everyone has a fantastic and fabulous Friday.

• Like 4

I am up early and who can sleep when it smells like bacon in the house?

and when you combine that smell with the smell of coffee.... it's heaven, I tell you! Heaven!

Good morning! Thanks for the hugs, all. I feel better after a good night sleep.

• Like 5

The good:  I had a lovely time with my friend.  We met at her house in the Big City.  We took her dogs for a long walk at a park that I like very much.  We then went to a very nice vegetarian Thai place where I was able to stick to my dairy free, gluten free diet.  (She didn't even know about those requirements when she suggested the place.)  The food and the conversation were very yummy.  I got over 10,000 steps just on this one visit.

The bad:  My friend was bending over backwards trying to accommodate me.  She was concerned because the walk turned my face almost the color of my delicious plum from exertion.  I told her that it was all ok.  (And I wasn't lying.  I believed it at the time.)

but. . .

The ugly:  I am now shaking with fatigue.  I got home and immediately collapsed in my armchair and slept for an hour.  I could sleep for hours more but I have to get up and moving now for my childrens' sakes.  I am so tired that I can hardly move.  I have no idea how I'm going to get my dd from camp and then my ds from his work.  (Don't worry - it will happen.  It always does in the end.)  I also have no idea how I'm going to feed my family or get the energy to get something even simple from the store to feed them.  (Again - it will happen.  It just seems impossible at this precise moment.)

But really.  I did have a lovely time and I don't think I would do anything different if I had a do-over.  Well.  I might get Rocco and Rodrigo to actually show up this time and take over chauffeur and dinner duty. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

Okay, how's this for kindergarten? John is bright but not gifted, learns quickly, and doesn't thrive on seatwork. An asterisk indicates something new.

Before breakfast (audio resources):

CC Timeline Song

*Psalm of the month

*Hymn of the month

*Spanish review

*Sing the Word

After breakfast/before playground:

*La Clase Diverdida

After playground (seatwork, 20 minutes):

Memory Work

Developing The Early Learner

Reading Lessons Through Literature or Copywork

Ray's Arithmetic

McGuffy Reader

*Hey Andrew

1-2 hours free play while I do housework.

Afternoon readings (1 hour):

Poetry

An Ambleside pick

A Sonlight pick

A Spanish pick

*Five In A Row + activity

Lunch and nap time. Daddy gets home.

Together in the evenings:

*Bible Study Guide For All Ages plus one of the following:

*Drawing With Children

Geopuzzles

*RightStart games

*Building Foundations For Scientific Understanding (maybe)

I'm sure it sounds strange to have it all broken up like that but I have activities planned around his behavior. If I expected him to sit for that long in one sitting he would go mad, but he loves having it broken up. I imagine we'll just shorten the breaks as time goes on.

So, music in the morning, Spanish after breakfast, seatwork in the late morning, reading in the afternoon, Bible plus something fun when Daddy gets home. This is okay, right? I feel like it looks like a lot.

• Like 3

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

Oh, for Pete's sake!  One of the other suggested items is a Barack Obama Chia Head.

• Like 1

Susan, you mention being busy a lot. Just something to keep in mind.

The proper response to that is :001_tt2: .

And then go teach them yourself.

• Like 2

All caught up.  Must get back to doing stuff.  I have laundry wrinkling in the dryer, and dishes waiting to be loaded and washed.  Hmm, oh, giiiiiiirls,....

• Like 1

The proper response to that is :001_tt2: .

And then go teach them yourself.

Personally, I think it is the parents' responsibility for the Biblical instruction of the family. What they get in Sunday School and/or Children's Church is just gravy. I was having this discussion with my cousin once. So many parents abdicate the responsibility to the church and then, for whatever reason, poor Sunday School teaching (dd was telling me some of the errors her VBS teacher made in the story, some were kind of serious) children daydreaming or just not paying attention, the kids don't get it. And then they leave the church and the parents can't figure out why. Church has become irrelevant.
  • Like 7

Are you alive today, Jean? And moving?

I think I'm coming down with a cold...sore, tickly throat today. Either that, or my allergies are flaring, which is possible because the trees around the library yesterday made me super itchy.

I'm fine. My right achilles heel is my Achilles heel today. ( See what I did there?)

And the world requires a lot more patience than I have today. But I will get over myself.

I hope that it is allergies that you can get under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

:( Renai on the sick printer.  Have you tried using rubbing alcohol on the printheads? Our Canon is prone to clogging (and I will not buy another Canon over this issue), but sometimes fiddling around trying to clean out the clog has worked.

I'll try that.

I need a stupid-proofed recipe/cooking method for brussel sprouts. Can you make them in the IP? Someone once told me to cut them in half and saute in olive oil or something. I need help. Dd18 requested them for dinner.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut them in half. Grease an 11 by 17-inch baking sheet with olive oil. Place them in a bowl and add dried herbs, salt and pepper. Toss well. Spread the vegetables evenly on the sheet. Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Leftovers microwave well.

You can't completely dismiss the church's teachings and then be upset when your kids completely dismiss the church's teachings. Dressing up once a week and sitting in a pew does not a Christian make. It's extraordinarily frustrating when someone who thinks it does insists on lecturing me about being a better Christian mother. I love my pastor and about 3/4 of the congregation, but some of them make attendance difficult.

You can be a "perfect " Christian mother and your kids can still reject the church's teaching. Having devout and conscientious parents does not a Christian make. (I'm not arguing with your desire to teach your kids but am providing a counterpoint. )

• Like 2

I had chia seeds on my oatmeal this morning.

I like to eat chia seeds, too.  I don't care to spread them on cheap terra cotta figurines just to watch them sprout.

I need a stupid-proofed recipe/cooking method for brussel sprouts. Can you make them in the IP? Someone once told me to cut them in half and saute in olive oil or something. I need help. Dd18 requested them for dinner.

I like them sliced and then sauted in oil or butter, with s&p and whatever other seasonings sound good.  Some chopped fresh herbs also go well in there, especially basil.

I prefer sauteing slices instead of halves because slices cook quicker.  This helps a LOT when the inevitable falling-apart happens.  With halves I always end up with some burnt leaves before the halves have cooked enough.  With slices all of the bits cook quicker and I have less burnt flavor and more pan-roasted flavor.

Another option is to slice or halve them, toss them with oil and seasonings, spread on a rimmed sheet pan, and roast in the oven (about 400 degrees, I think).  I'm not sure how long -- test them every so often by stabbing one with a sharp paring knife.

I'm reading through the revised IEW TWSS today and comparing it to the original. The revisions were well done.

When were the revisions done?  *wondering if I have the revised or the older sitting on my shelf*

You can be a "perfect " Christian mother and your kids can still reject the church's teaching. Having devout and conscientious parents does not a Christian make. (I'm not arguing with your desire to teach your kids but am providing a counterpoint. )

I completely agree. I'm just tired of having my patenting judged every time I turn around. Sorry for complaining so much.

• Like 2

One problem with my new personal training is the impact it has on scheduling.  I'm to be trained on the weekdays DD12 does NOT have Aikido, so now we have something every dad-blasted weekday.  I'm also supposed to eat 5 times a day, which also creates regularly-scheduled interruptions.  I'm looking into music lessons for the kids and wondering how carved up our days are going to be.

We will adjust.  I'm just whining.

• Like 3

I completely agree. I'm just tired of having my patenting judged every time I turn around. Sorry for complaining so much.

You are fine.  There are Christians-in-public-view-only-and-not-in-heart-or-action in every congregation. 

Lord, grant me the patience and forbearance not to CLOBBER this guy/gal in her smug, smirking, sneering mouth; nor to smack her across the back of the head or stick my foot out just a bit more as she exits the row or drop the heavy door on her as we exit or drive my car through a puddle near him or. . . .

• Like 1

It was revised last summer. They had a deal running where you could upgrade for $30.  If they are still running it (they spoke of running it for a year), I think it's well worth the upgrade if money isn't super tight in your family.  The revisions more clearly delineate the program, offer additional teaching helps, and adjusting for grade level/learning disabilities is more coherent. A lot of the content is the same, but the editing in the revised version has made the program so much more functional for me.  

I'm still working my way through the DVDs, which were re-filmed.

The premium subscription offers tons of downloads of source material.  You also get free mp3s of his conference talks, monthly webinar training, and access to streaming content of TWSS plus five hours of student demonstrations at the four levels.  I'm trying to figure out how to use this program with a rhetoric, dialectic, and logic student at the same time, and it actually feels feasible right now.  You teach the unit, adjust the content.

• Like 1

Last summer?  maybe?

Ah, I should have the older stuff, then.  Does it make much of a difference?

We started with IEW our first year of homeschool and liked it fine where writing was concerned.  I didn't care for other LA elements they offered (other than writing), however, partly because it was such a mixed bunch of varying quality and partly because none of it would work together without a lot of coordinating on my part.  That's why we switched to MCTLA -- all of the bits work together and the girls and I quite enjoy it -- but I am keeping the TWSS as a back-up in case we want it again in the future.  I'm just curious now if I'm going to want to buy the revised if we decide to pick it up again in the future.

AMJ--this is why my gym time is in early morning and why I pre-cook/plan a lot of my food on Sundays. I'm not quite like Obama with my 7 almonds every night, but close....

I have a rule that the kids must be up and dressed before I leave them alone at home, so first-thing-in-the-morning time slots are not an option for me.  Besides, the before- and after-work time slots were already booked. 

I've done this before, personal training 2 or 3 times a week while homeschooling, but the kids were younger then and I was going to someplace cheaper (no longer in business) where I could afford to hire a second trainer to work with the two of them while my trainer worked with me.  Now I can barely justify the cost for myself, though this place IS as inexpensive as any others I could find.  I will simply work out a class time/independent work time routine for the three of us that has the girls working on their independent studies while I am at personal training.  They are, after all, older and working more independently so this is NOT an unreasonable or unmanageable expectation.

But it likely means no more weekly lunches out with Daddy, and I'll have to be careful about the timing of anything else I schedule (not just lessons but doctor appointments and such, too).

• Like 1

You can't completely dismiss the church's teachings and then be upset when your kids completely dismiss the church's teachings. Dressing up once a week and sitting in a pew does not a Christian make. It's extraordinarily frustrating when someone who thinks it does insists on lecturing me about being a better Christian mother. I love my pastor and about 3/4 of the congregation, but some of them make attendance difficult.

Oh, we certainly don't dismiss the church's teachings. If we didn't agree with our church's teachings we wouldn't go there. We have a very high view of church and strongly believe in the importance of regular church attendance and involvement. But you are right, just going to church doesn't make a person a Christian.

Oh, we certainly don't dismiss the church's teachings. If we didn't agree with our church's teachings we wouldn't go there. We have a very high view of church and strongly believe in the importance of regular church attendance and involvement. But you are right, just going to church doesn't make a person a Christian.

I didn't mean it that way! I think my post was poorly worded. Ima go delete it.