• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good Morning Afternoon.

It is a Monday for sure.

I finally got to sleep sometime after 3.  Dd7 woke me up at 6 because she had had a nightmare.  The phone woke me up at 8.  I finally got up about 10.

A little while ago we lost power for about a minute.  Now the Wii and the printer are not working.   :glare:

• Like 3

This might call for a family meeting, so everyone can listen to you tell your can of carpet adhesive that it's okay, it will be found again in its new home.  The entire family can then reassure poor CA that they won't forget it exists, and they can all accompany it to its new home to tell it what a nice home it is and they would all be happy to visit it there.

I think your CA is simply worried that it will be lost and no longer found, so it wandered back.

Does everyone have Carpet Adhesive?  I don't think that I have ever had any.  Am I depriving myself and my carpet by not having it?  (I'm sure that Ikslo has a good reason for having it.  It's just not something I have needed.)

• Like 2

They wanted snacks so I made them pick up and they forgot about the snacks in the process so now everything is picked up but I don't have to do anything. I win.

I am resisting the urge to shop online today.

#dontneedmorestuff

I'm getting two $10 virtual instructor calsses. It's lifetime access so while it's technically for me it's with the kids in mind. Maybe just one class. Mama needs to think. It's sort of our grocery money.
  • Like 2

Hi.  Stress is bad for me.  (I'm sure that it's bad for everyone.)  Why did I teach about trusting God?  Why?  Now I'm having lots of stress as I fail at trusting God. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I can't teach writing. Celery was supposed to make an outline, and spent 2 hours doodling instead, and I don't know. Eventually I made him sit with me, and he went into a meltdown that he was almost done, and I asked him how much longer, and he said 5 min, so I set a timer for 5 min. Then he wasn't done yet, of course, but he was almost done, and I made him sit with me and we finished it together. I don't know... I struggle with how to keep him on task, since on the one hand, it ticks me off that he just doodles instead of even trying, and he's in 5th grade... I shouldn't have to hold his hand all the time (to be clear, it's not always this bad... sometimes he gets his writing done in a reasonable time, sometimes he spends too much time doodling in between writing, but still gets it done without it being too ridiculous, and then like today, it's just off-the-charts not-even-trying getting-nothing-done-but-refusing-help-until-I-absolutely-force-him-against-his-will...). And then by the end of it I'm exhausted (doesn't help that I've got a cold). Oh, at some point I told him that he could play with the helicopters when he's done with his writing... but he ended up deciding he didn't want to play with the helicopters. 

Philoedpo avert thine eyes

Don’t know if this is of interest but I didn’t want to derail GB thread and thought some of you...might be interested? Not eloquent. Have headache. Anyhoo.

So, I can’t get the paste function to work for some reason, but this is from edocere.org. So, the writer is talking about Catholic education and mentions St. Benedict, St. Dominic, and St. Ignatius as three great teachers and founders of religious orders that established educational systems and notes that “the great 20th century figures of renewal in Catholic education synthesized all three traditions : Gregorian chant (Benedictine), Thomistic philosophy (Dominican), and the humanities (Jesuit).â€

When I read that it really struck me. For one thing, I think you can sort of loosely assign them by emphasis to the ideals of truth, goodness, and beauty. It also gives you practical, implementable ideas for how to make an education truly Catholic rather than just adding on a religion book or buying workbooks covered with religious pictures. This is sort of how I see it in my head and what framework I’ve been using.

Beauty — Benedictine, ora et labora, the primacy of prayer and contemplation — encountering Scripture primarily through praying it, chant and Latin hymns, prayer several times a day, an ordered day with times for prayer, study, physical work, rest

Truth — Dominican, Thomistic philosophy — forming the habit of logical thought, learning to defend a point logically, charitably, and humbly

Goodness — Jesuit, ad majoram Dei gloriam, the missionary spirit — understanding and developing a taste for moral goodness through the humanities, becoming proficient in the humanitiesso as to be able to evangelize others

:001_wub:

I can't teach writing. Celery was supposed to make an outline, and spent 2 hours doodling instead, and I don't know. Eventually I made him sit with me, and he went into a meltdown that he was almost done, and I asked him how much longer, and he said 5 min, so I set a timer for 5 min. Then he wasn't done yet, of course, but he was almost done, and I made him sit with me and we finished it together. I don't know... I struggle with how to keep him on task, since on the one hand, it ticks me off that he just doodles instead of even trying, and he's in 5th grade... I shouldn't have to hold his hand all the time (to be clear, it's not always this bad... sometimes he gets his writing done in a reasonable time, sometimes he spends too much time doodling in between writing, but still gets it done without it being too ridiculous, and then like today, it's just off-the-charts not-even-trying getting-nothing-done-but-refusing-help-until-I-absolutely-force-him-against-his-will...). And then by the end of it I'm exhausted (doesn't help that I've got a cold). Oh, at some point I told him that he could play with the helicopters when he's done with his writing... but he ended up deciding he didn't want to play with the helicopters. 

(((luuknam & Celery)))

Kids learning to right is completely optional, write?

Yes.

• Like 1

No. Like 2 hours.

Or, you could wait two hours and then pay for the pizza outright without having to take out a loan (and, around here, that means you'd only have to wait about an hour before you order the pizza, since it'll take like an hour to get to you anyway). 

I'm not lending out money without getting interest. Aside from Kiva. 

If Celery were consistently that unfocused etc, it'd be easier, in a way... the inconsistency in whether he'll struggle and spend forever doodling instead makes it so much harder. And unfortunately, I can't take away pencil and paper when he's supposed to be writing (well, I could, if I were to hand him the computer... but I don't think that'd solve anything). 

Philoedpo avert thine eyes

Don’t know if this is of interest but I didn’t want to derail GB thread and thought some of you...might be interested? Not eloquent. Have headache. Anyhoo.

So, I can’t get the paste function to work for some reason, but this is from edocere.org. So, the writer is talking about Catholic education and mentions St. Benedict, St. Dominic, and St. Ignatius as three great teachers and founders of religious orders that established educational systems and notes that “the great 20th century figures of renewal in Catholic education synthesized all three traditions : Gregorian chant (Benedictine), Thomistic philosophy (Dominican), and the humanities (Jesuit).â€

When I read that it really struck me. For one thing, I think you can sort of loosely assign them by emphasis to the ideals of truth, goodness, and beauty. It also gives you practical, implementable ideas for how to make an education truly Catholic rather than just adding on a religion book or buying workbooks covered with religious pictures. This is sort of how I see it in my head and what framework I’ve been using.

Beauty — Benedictine, ora et labora, the primacy of prayer and contemplation — encountering Scripture primarily through praying it, chant and Latin hymns, prayer several times a day, an ordered day with times for prayer, study, physical work, rest

Truth — Dominican, Thomistic philosophy — forming the habit of logical thought, learning to defend a point logically, charitably, and humbly

Goodness — Jesuit, ad majoram Dei gloriam, the missionary spirit — understanding and developing a taste for moral goodness through the humanities, becoming proficient in the humanitiesso as to be able to evangelize others

Okay, you're way over my head.  And I'm not Catholic.  But I love that you're sharing your thoughts here.  If you haven't already, you need to search out older posts from 8FiltheHeart about her approach to education and the ratio studiorum.  Here's a link to an older thread which links to some of her posts:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/315940-looking-into-jesuit-educational-philosophy/

• Like 1

I especially hate how I want to do other, more fun stuff, but then it all goes down the drain because of writing.

Do it with him more?  Until it's as automatic as his name?  (I.e. easy enough that distractions don't matter?).  I don't know where he is in the process of getting the outline skill, but you could go back to doing an outline (I assume single level at this point?) while he watches (modeling).  Then move to reading 1 paragraph together and asking him what the most important idea was in that paragraph.  Then ask him to put it into a complete sentence.  Write it down for him.  Do the next paragraph, etc. for about 5 paragraphs or so.  Repeat that several times a week until February (because you'll have to start over after break anyway.)  Then in March see if he's ready to do it on his own, perhaps checking in with you after each paragraph (or after every two paragraphs....)  etc.  

Or, if that's not helpful, totally ignore it!  That's what we're here for!!  

• Like 4

Do it with him more?  Until it's as automatic as his name?  (I.e. easy enough that distractions don't matter?).  I don't know where he is in the process of getting the outline skill, but you could go back to doing an outline (I assume single level at this point?)

He finished Beginning Outlining and is 2/3 of the way through Outlining:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/022872

(and yes, I know it says grades 5-8, but, it's by Remedia Publications, and while I'm not 100% sure what to make of their grade level recommendations, I'm pretty sure that it'd be super easy for normal 7-8th graders). 

The page he struggled with today (the other page he found easy and did in no time) was a bit wonky compared to most of the book, so, in retrospect I should maybe have known that it was going to be a hard assignment. He's definitely at the point where the book is making him do more and more in coming up with the outline, vs just filling in some of the blanks. And in this particular case, it was the one page in the entire book that required an outside resource, which we don't have, so I printed out something else instead that might or might not have been longer/higher reading level, and overwhelmed him or something. Oh well. It's over.

• Like 2

I took a nap.  My sister called me and woke me up.  She knew from my voice that I had a really bad headache today.  I told her I would call her back.

Sometimes I wish the phone had never been invented.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Abby Cat has four infected feet.   :sad:   I couldn't find the problem because the ulcerated wounds are up between the foot pads.  The vet guesses that perhaps she had walked through fire ants (which were EVERYWHERE after Harvey) and then licked the bites too much and got them infected, which then turned to open sores as she licked more.  She has been given an antibiotic shot to deal with the infection and has a 5-day course of steroids to calm the swelling and irritation in her feet.

She was especially put out at the vet's today because all of the small rooms were taken so she was put in the big dog room, right after a big dog had been in there.  She is relieved to be home, though, and happy she is not under house arrest until healed.  The vet specifically wants her life to be as normal as possible so I can watch Abby's behavior.

• Like 2

The page he struggled with today (the other page he found easy and did in no time) was a bit wonky compared to most of the book, so, in retrospect I should maybe have known that it was going to be a hard assignment. He's definitely at the point where the book is making him do more and more in coming up with the outline, vs just filling in some of the blanks. And in this particular case, it was the one page in the entire book that required an outside resource, which we don't have, so I printed out something else instead that might or might not have been longer/higher reading level, and overwhelmed him or something. Oh well. It's over.

For clarity, I didn't ask him to outline something much longer/higher reading level. Part of the outline was given (like, the main topics), and he had to fill in the subtopics (which were more like details, tbh), and then write a short (2 paragraph) piece from the outline. So, the outline was about a specific dolphin, and the main topics were "what he looked like" and "what he did", so, he just had to hunt for 3 items for each of those in the article. He didn't have to outline the article. (in some of the exercises you have to make an outline from a piece of text that has been given, and in some others you have to write a piece from a given outline, and in this case he basically had to make an outline as prewriting, not an outline of the (not included) text. So I didn't think it mattered all that much how long the text was, and I know it wasn't above his reading level, but I guess he just froze because a) he hadn't done much outlining as prewriting, and b) the book is full of much easier/shorter texts (this was a 2 page Wikipedia article)).

• Like 1

For clarity, I didn't ask him to outline something much longer/higher reading level. Part of the outline was given (like, the main topics), and he had to fill in the subtopics (which were more like details, tbh), and then write a short (2 paragraph) piece from the outline. So, the outline was about a specific dolphin, and the main topics were "what he looked like" and "what he did", so, he just had to hunt for 3 items for each of those in the article. He didn't have to outline the article. (in some of the exercises you have to make an outline from a piece of text that has been given, and in some others you have to write a piece from a given outline, and in this case he basically had to make an outline as prewriting, not an outline of the (not included) text. So I didn't think it mattered all that much how long the text was, and I know it wasn't above his reading level, but I guess he just froze because a) he hadn't done much outlining as prewriting, and b) the book is full of much easier/shorter texts (this was a 2 page Wikipedia article)).

Sounds like a rocky day, but a necessary one sooner or later.  Now that he's done it once you can remind him this isn't anything new the next time he works on something like this.  

• Like 2