Menu

Ignore this thread!

I just did the grossest job in the world. Well, maybe not quite the grossest, but close..... I pulled the buffet away from the wall where it has been sitting for the past 13 years and cleaned behind it so I could paint the baseboards. It had dust about an inch thick, plus a huge assortment of Legos, pens, markers, 21 cents, and other unidentifiable lumps. But, I got the baseboards painted.

Did I mention I am a crappy painter?? It looks ok, but I wish we could afford to just pay someone. The problem is, we have an open floor plan. The entire common living area of my home is really one big odd-shaped room. With like 10' ceilings and crown moulding. So, it would be a big project to get it painted.

Good job!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

And DH is bemused by my urge to clean when things are pulled out from their usual places.  Phah!

A kudoes to Krissi Booyah!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Slache, grocery pickup. You order, and it's already bagged and ready to go. Things can't hop in the cart that way. Stuffmart does it for free, but I am sure other places do too.

I don't allow dh to step into Costco without me. Last time it was $$$ damage to the budget.

That's my DH, too. I love that he goes to Costco for me, but he always comes home with a million things not on the list.

Okay, I got the kids down. Here is my mother-in-law's clothes shopping method. I assume she has at least 15 grandchildren now. She lives down the street from a Carter's store and they have quarterly sales. She goes in and only buys things that cost about $0.50. She once bought Mary a $2 jacket because she thought it was really cute, but that's not common. She buys whatever she wants regardless of size. Due to having numerous children from numerous boys that she raised she will buy one thing in multiple sizes if she really likes it. When she takes them home she hangs them in a closet with markers for size. When Christmas and birthdays come she asks the parents what size the children are and pics from the closet. I have had children for 7 years and only purchase them shoes and gloves. She probably even gives the other kids gloves but since we live in Oregon she never has.

That's actually pretty clever!

If you're trying to find Christmas items I still love my silk pillowcase($25), my Alexa($35), and my Paperwhite($110).

What do you love?

A good story

time to read it

better yet, time to revel in it

sunrises

time to marinade in sunrises

time BLOCKS in which to write

the mental capacity (not yet drained) in which to write coherently

knowing the people I care about have what they need

and of course, ITT!

• Like 5

If you die (which, of course, is Not Allowed), your dd will have the cadaver that she wanted.   :leaving:

:scared:   Junie!  I'm shocked!

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

• Like 2

Hmmm.  I texted SIL and dh (we're on a group text) asking about Thanksgiving plans.  Dh said "lets do it".  SIL said that we can join them on Saturday if we want but everyone is busy or not going to come on Thursday.  Do you know what I'd like to do?  Forget Thanksgiving and celebrate my birthday on Thursday instead.  Is that dumb?  Would we find anywhere open to eat?  I think that I will ask my family if they have any strong feelings one way or the other.  I tend to give in to the person with the strongest feelings on stuff like this. 

I personally like this idea!  There will be places open to eat, but you might need a reservation.  Restaurants typically can make a killing on holiday meals.  

• Like 1

We ordered from a Chinese buffet restaurant one Thanksgiving. Dh has strong feelings about it, though, and asked for that to not happen again.

We brought (Indian) Butter Chicken to Thanksgiving last year.  One SIL LOVED it, and has been hinting none too subtly ever since about us repeating that.  DH is contemplating learning how to make it so he can make Butter Turkey with leftovers.

The library is indeed magic. I did not think it was possible to love our library any more than I already loved our library, but now I love our library even more.  EIGHT more problems done. Seven of ten past weeks are blue; of the three green weeks, two are stuck because of writing problem tragedies but one has two remaining and the hope of blue.  This week has been knocked down to five problems.  Wow, wow, wow.  She's been really getting bogged down and frustrated, and boy did she ever just do some serious unbogging! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

It sounds like that is the study environment she needs!

I wonder if I should try that with my two?

• Like 1

I'm fortunate that our grocery budget isn't that tight any more.  Dh can get what he wants as long as he puts it away.  The only thing he tends to get is weird Filipino snacks that no one fights with him for.

Even so, he gets random stuff, forgets he got it, and I throw it away when it goes bad. Lists for this man. Shopping lists, to do lists, how not to kill the kids lists. He needs lists!

That's actually pretty clever!

I know!

A good story

time to read it

better yet, time to revel in it

sunrises

time to marinade in sunrises

time BLOCKS in which to write

the mental capacity (not yet drained) in which to write coherently

knowing the people I care about have what they need

and of course, ITT!

I don't know where to get any of that.
  • Like 2

Even so, he gets random stuff, forgets he got it, and I throw it away when it goes bad. Lists for this man. Shopping lists, to do lists, how not to kill the kids lists. He needs lists!

I know!

I don't know where to get any of that.

Such is my dilemma.  I need the island.

• Like 1

I'm tired. It feels like it's 11pm. But it's only 8:00.

We all went to the dentist. By some miracle there were no cavities. They sent dd11's xrays to dd14's orthodontist who called dh and said she needs to get in for a consult as soon as possible. We know she needs braces, we just haven't told them yet that we won't be sending any more kids to their office due to some of their staff people being unable to communicate and somewhat passive-aggressive. I like our dentist and all his staff though they seem to be married to this orthodontist.

We went to the violin shop. I had to talk to the store owner which was annoying because he kept trying to sell me stuff. No I don't want you to put on a new set of strings. No, we don't want you to mess with the bridge - it's fine. No we don't want a full sized violin today. Yes, I know dd is ready for one. No we don't want one today - we don't want to change instrument sizes right before concerts and recitals. No we don't want a new set of strings - I have a set at home. The repair estimate according to the Annoying Owner (who is not the actual Luthier - she's great) is about $75 and can be done by next week. I hope he knows what he is talking about. It's more than I was hoping but less than other options. By the time we left, several of the staff members were around and I got the feeling they felt the need to babysit the owner a bit and make sure he didn't start talking nonsense. I don't know why I thought that. Spidey-sense.

I got a call from our mid-state audition director asking if we would have ds13 audition later in the day (instead of in the morning) case things "imploded" and then he could be there to take care of things, like grumpy band directors. It was baffling. He has a newborn at home and a 2yo in the hospital, so I think probably he is trying to function on little-to-no sleep, poor guy. I said sure, though I'm a little confused.

Out of about 20 regular members of the children's choir, a good 8 of them are completely tone deaf. Is that an unusually high number? These are kids from 2nd to 6th grade. The choir is singing in church this Sunday and no one knows what is going on. We tried to do some detective work to figure out what might be sung when, but we're still not sure.

I am all peopled out. Good night!

• Like 5

I've been exploring poetry forms tonight just for fun. I'm rather tired tonight, too. Maybe it's the weather, or the people-factor. I had people-time tonight, too. A good time, people I needed to see and be with, but this introvert is quite ready for a warm bath, a good book and a quiet evening.

• Like 2

Apparently somebody tried to send me a certified letter today. But they didn't attempt to deliver it. I was home all day, and no one ever came to the door. The left me a note that it was my final notice. And yet I never got the first one. 

Baffled, but will go to the post office tomorrow and see if I can't sort it out. I think I know what it was, but I can't figure out if they just didn't want to come up the driveway or what their problem was.

Uhhhh, ok, you win. That has got to be the most disgusting job in the world.

It was just meant to maybe make you and Jean and whomever feel better about places that haven't been cleaned in a while. Also, it's an interesting documentary - not sure if Netflix still has it (that was just a brief part... iirc, there wasn't any other gross stuff). 

Good boy. Ds opened my turmeric last week flung it all over the kitchen and now a b7nch of my socks are orange on the bottom.

He also took a pen to my bullet journal so I think the household expenses owe me a Happy Planner. ðŸ˜

Check out the Panda, too. I love the philosophy behind the Self Journal but wouldn't recommend it to a HS mom. Not enough space or liberty.

• Like 1

Though unlike the lady in the post I’d use the original planner pages for my household to do lists and schedules. I think it might even make it possible for me to get everything in one planner without going crazy.

I still love my (knockoff) Traveler's Journal even though I found out yesterday that I don't even know what color it is. :glare:

• Like 1

I have a mermaid emoji now! Look at all my cool new emojis! 🤯🧜â€â™€ï¸ðŸ§â€â™€ï¸ðŸ§žâ€â™€ï¸ðŸ§šâ€â™€ï¸ðŸ¤«ðŸ¤­ðŸ¤©ðŸ§ðŸ¤¨ðŸ¤ª

I like the little fairy.

I figured the rain washed it into a drainage pipe, but who knows? It obviously didn't get flushed down the toilet...

Dang, flushed down the toilet was going to be my guess.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am a little behind in most subjects. Is that normal? I can get caught up.

No, that is not normal at all. You are doing your child a grave disservice and they will grow up and live in a cardboard box under the freeway.  

Not really.

We are behind on everything. Absolutely everything. And not just a ittle. A lot. And we do school every day. Quite a bit of it, actually.  But, I spend a lot of time remediating.

• Like 5

I am staying off the borrowing clothes thread.   :svengo:

If I post over there I am going to get flamed.

I will just say that clothes here are for anyone who can fit into them.  Except ds17.  He gets his own.  :)

ETA:  It's a Junie Has an Attitude Booyah, apparently.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

The girl in question (on the borrowing clothes thread) seems to have a different problem then *just* borrowing her sister's clothes.

Here, clothes that are purchased by me belong to all of my children.  Now, if dd15 gets a job and buys her own clothes, then they are her clothes.  But if I buy them then I expect that any of my children can wear them.

Some of my girls wear the same size, but they seem to work it out as to which clothes belong to whom.

• Like 3

I told a friend today about how Dh was joking about not having any Puritan ancestors. And she said, “Maybe he has some in his family tree that he doesn’t know about. “. Um? In the Philippines? I think that we can safely say that he doesn’t hate any Puritan blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6