• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Ya'll haven't helped me come up with a gift labeling theme yet. Last year, I used My Little Pony and they were fighting over who was Rainbow Dash. I'm thinking Winnie the Pooh. Dh's stuff would be labeled Eeyore. :lol: Gymnast could be Roo. I don't know who dd16 would be yet.

We're Mama, Papa, Brother and Sister. I don't know what we'll do when the baby's born. Find a new book I guess.

• Like 4

ikslo, I'm in the "notify the pediatrician" camp.  They need to know and document it.  We, likewise, do not do flu shots.  Too much of a crapshoot to justify the assault on the immune system.

Renai:  I love car shopping.  Way more than car buying, in fact.  Because, cheap.

Yay, Tex!  Natural sleep is a very good thing.

Happy birthday, Susan's DD!  :party:   My DD turned 13 in late August.  It's happy, but...le sigh.

I'm probably forgetting something.  I forgot to take notes.

Good Morning, everyone.

• Like 5

Ya'll haven't helped me come up with a gift labeling theme yet. Last year, I used My Little Pony and they were fighting over who was Rainbow Dash. I'm thinking Winnie the Pooh. Dh's stuff would be labeled Eeyore.  :lol:  Gymnast could be Roo. I don't know who dd16 would be yet. 

My theme is going to be whatever is available at the dollar store.  Of course, I think I have some birthday wrapping paper left over around here somewhere...

• Like 4

I am at the dentist btw. Filling came out as I was flossing this morning. Ugh. They are talking about a root canal. Double ugh. I told them I would avoid a root canal short of loosing the tooth.

Dentist-shudder.

<Sneaking quickly in>

:grouphug:

<Running away.  Holding in scream to avoid attracting the attention of the demon dentist.>

• Like 4

Ya'll haven't helped me come up with a gift labeling theme yet. Last year, I used My Little Pony and they were fighting over who was Rainbow Dash. I'm thinking Winnie the Pooh. Dh's stuff would be labeled Eeyore. :lol: Gymnast could be Roo. I don't know who dd16 would be yet.

A theme? Now we're supposed to have a theme? I can't do themes! I can barely do gifts. Now we're supposed to do themes, too!
  • Like 7

I am at the dentist btw. Filling came out as I was flossing this morning. Ugh. They are talking about a root canal. Double ugh. I told them I would avoid a root canal short of loosing the tooth.

I'm sorry, Dawn! I hope you don't have to do the root canal! I actually like going to the dentist. It's the only place I can go and relax in a comfortable chair and have nobody bug me. My teeth are in pretty good shape, though. And I made it into my hygienist's "No Fours Club" what she was checking recession last time. She actually keeps track!
  • Like 3

Quackers, have you ever tried an iced shortbread cookie?  (currently a green and red mitten)  Yummy!  (So, what did you like better, the muffin and the scone?)

Nope, though my kids had those snowmen cookies a few weeks ago... are those the same idea?

I'd have to say I like the muffin best; I'm usually a scone fan but these are a little too dry for my taste.  However, in fairness to Starbucks, I only had a small bite and gave the rest to dh.  I decided to reform my sugar habit, sadly about 5 minutes before being given the free scone.   Figures.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry, Dawn! I hope you don't have to do the root canal! I actually like going to the dentist. It's the only place I can go and relax in a comfortable chair and have nobody bug me. My teeth are in pretty good shape, though. And I made it into my hygienist's "No Fours Club" what she was checking recession last time. She actually keeps track!

I had my first four a few weeks ago.

Devastating.  I'm a floss freak now.  (I'd gotten lazy...)

• Like 1

Nope, though my kids had those snowmen cookies a few weeks ago... are those the same idea?

I'd have to say I like the muffin best; I'm usually a scone fan but these are a little too dry for my taste.  However, in fairness to Starbucks, I only had a small bite and gave the rest to dh.  I decided to reform my sugar habit, sadly about 5 minutes before being given the free scone.   Figures.  

Yes, scones seem dry to me too.

smh.  The iced mitten cookies are at PANERA not Starbucks.  Sorry.  (I like Panera better than Starbucks.  :leaving:   I'm not cool.)

• Like 3

It is a little odd that the reaction was not red but that isn't necessarily an indicator of... anything.

Self diagnosis is bad. Trust me I know this from experience and I went to nursing school and have worked in healthcare for 15 years... :)

Good that benadryl helped but bad to decide against flu vaccines without trained expert input. Flu is serious business.

Tooth can't be saved. Extraction scheduled. It doesn't really hurt just a dull ache-like.

It is a molar, and the filling was large. I will have a tooth put back in its place that is permanent, and I will "never have to worry about it again", according to the dentist.

I am feeling so upset with myself. I would love to start reading a good book, and get lost in it, so I don't have to think about myself........

Oh, well. It is just a tooth. My children are healthy and happy. My mom and dad are healthy at this moment, the tlih is in good care, I have a wonderful husband, but I could so cry right now.

Just feeling sorry for myself, please ignore.:D

• Like 4

I wonder if it would be worth at least calling the dr. If they keep track of these things, it may help the development of future "formulas".

Meh. Looks on the swelly side of normal to me. They aren't going to make the bell curve of reactions into a single horizontal line and I doubt this is on the top off their agenda, what with allergic reactions and refrigeration issues and whatnot. I would report to establish a pattern in case it gets worse over time or with each shot. They also have to change it every year so there's that.

That said, once again we're the only ones without the flu so far and the only ones who haven't gotten the shot. That one vaccine, my body doesn't like it. I need to plan a vacation around it.

• Like 1

It is a little odd that the reaction was not red but that isn't necessarily an indicator of... anything.

Self diagnosis is bad. Trust me I know this from experience and I went to nursing school and have worked in healthcare for 15 years... :)

Good that benadryl helped but bad to decide against flu vaccines without trained expert input. Flu is serious business.

Oh, this isn't the only reason I have decided against them, for myself at least. 

We self-diagnosed all of our son's allergies, save for one, and they were all confirmed.  So I wouldn't say self-diagnosis is ALWAYS bad.

But here's the thing.  He's had a reaction which he has not had before to a vaccine that I wasn't comfortable with from the get go and I have no problem talking to my doctor about it, but his opinion is not automatically my opinion, KWIM?  My husband was on a really bad (for him) blood pressure medicine for WAY to long because "the doctor said."

And I didn't think that the lack of redness indicated anything profound, but I found it odd.  I found it extremely odd that there were no pics online (that I found thus far - I am sure there are some and am trying to adjust my search criteria) because there are ALWAYS pics online.  The internet has everything, don't you know.  (That was sarcasm, BTW.)

• Like 3

Tooth can't be saved. Extraction scheduled. It doesn't really hurt just a dull ache-like.

It is a molar, and the filling was large. I will have a tooth put back in its place that is permanent, and I will "never have to worry about it again", according to the dentist.

I am feeling so upset with myself. I would love to start reading a good book, and get lost in it, so I don't have to think about myself........

Oh, well. It is just a tooth. My children are healthy and happy. My mom and dad are healthy at this moment, the tlih is in good care, I have a wonderful husband, but I could so cry right now.

Just feeling sorry for myself, please ignore. :D

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  

• Like 2

Flu vaccines are very new and even a trained expert will tell you there are risks and that they alter the formula as they learn more about it.

A trained expert will also tell you that the flu is a lot more serious than just a bad cold and can kill your kid, so... like everything else it's about acceptable risks.

I've had every minority drug reaction you've ever heard of and so has my oldest but we still get the flu vaccine because last time I got the flu I was in the ICU getting intubated.

I also agree that the docs are not always right and sometimes they don't pay attention to things they should, so self advocacy is really important but so is balance.

I self diagnosed a magnesium deficiency and even found it confirmed through empirical observation and yet, I still seem to have somehow provoked the return of my 23 years dormant epileptic condition.. so... ugh. Care is needed.

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 1

And if we're getting into anti-vaxx territory.. well.. that's gonna get ugly. I work in a hospital and I will tell you from clinical data and patient populations: anti-vaxxers have killed more children than they've accomplished anything else. The one single study that ever linked vaccines to autism was found to have used fraudulent data in order to draw grant funding, the researcher in charge admitted it, too, so it's not simply an accusation. There is zero clinical data linking autism to vaccines and the fact that people equate the two has more to do with the fact that autism is diagnosed around the same time as children are getting heavily vaccinated. That's like blaming snow on Christmas decorations.

I'm sure I'll get banned over this one and all but people who refuse to vaccinate without a compelling and documented medical reason like allergy or dangerous immune system compromise are endangering every other kid their kid comes in contact with, without justification. We have polio and measles again in this country and it's because of the Jenny anti-vaxx hysteria. Frankly even if there were a causative link proven (and there's not) I'll take autism over polio for my kids.

Edited by MarkW

A trained expert will also tell you that the flu is a lot more serious than just a bad cold and can kill your kid, so... like everything else it's about acceptable risks.

I've had every minority drug reaction you've ever heard of and so has my oldest but we still get the flu vaccine because last time I got the flu I was in the ICU getting intubated.

I also agree that the docs are not always right and sometimes they don't pay attention to things they should, so self advocacy is really important but so is balance.

I self diagnosed a magnesium deficiency and even found it confirmed through empirical observation and yet, I still seem to have somehow provoked the return of my 23 years dormant epileptic condition.. so... ugh. Care is needed.

We have talked in the past and on-going with his pediatrician about this issue.  It was a must have conversation due to DS's allergies.  It's not for lack of knowledge of the situation.  His ped is a bioethicist at Hershey and I don't discount his opinion.  I will get his opinion.  But I really don't expect he will have anything to new say that he hasn't already said.  If DH wants to take him in for his shot next time, fine.  But I'm leaning towards not forcing it on my kid from here on out.

Other than his food allergies, DS does not have a compromised immune system.  He rarely gets sick.  I don't know.  I'll think on it, but why continue to take a yearly vacc that is rushed to market if you are more likely to have a reaction to the ingredients in the vaccine than to get the flu? 

I worked at Wyeth (as a long-term contract in documentation, not manufacturing) when they were under FDA Consent Decree for violations...they were allowed to continue making the drug even though there were serious issues.  It happens more than you'd like to know.  I gave in to the ped's well constructed opinion on vaccs for all major childhood diseases, despite being previously opposed.  Flu vaccine is just not an area for he was able to convince me the benefits outweighed the risks (for us).

• Like 4

And if we're getting into anti-vaxx territory.. well.. that's gonna get ugly. I work in a hospital and I will tell you from clinical data and patient populations: anti-vaxxers have killed more children than they've accomplished anything else. The one single study that ever linked vaccines to autism was found to have used fraudulent data in order to draw grant funding, the researcher in charge admitted it, too, so it's not simply an accusation. There is zero clinical data linking autism to vaccines and the fact that people equate the two has more to do with the fact that autism is diagnosed around the same time as children are getting heavily vaccinated. That's like blaming snow on Christmas decorations.

I'm sure I'll get banned over this one and all but people who refuse to vaccinate without a compelling and documented medical reason like allergy or dangerous immune system compromise are endangering every other kid their kid comes in contact with, without justification. We have polio and measles again in this country and it's because of the Jenny anti-vaxx hysteria. Frankly even if there were a causative link proven (and there's not) I'll take autism over polio for my kids.

Nope not an anti-vaxxer here.

Just an anti-flu shotter.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

I meant vertical line. Anyway. Flu is serious and that swelling doesn't look bad to me. But O would still report.

Picture doesn't do it justice, and it was very hard and very painful.  The hardness went away within 20 minutes of the Benadryl. 

Thanks for all the input.  We are reporting it.

• Like 3

Picture doesn't do it justice, and it was very hard and very painful.  The hardness went away within 20 minutes of the Benadryl. 

Thanks for all the input.  We are reporting it.

#quotingmyself

DH is reporting it so that we can get the doctor's opinion.

I'm reporting it so we can have it on file and can point to it when I tell them hell no! next time.  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

I can't find pictures of just the swelling online + the swelling was hard to capture with a camera = X

I'm just guessing here, but that could be why. I know swelling is extremely common. My mom swelled her 1st flu vaccine, and was hospitalized after her 2nd. But swelling really was her only symptom the first time.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

This is what I am worried about - the next time.

Weighing the risk of the flu vs. the risk of a worse reaction to the flu shot.

She also got the flu both times so it didn't even do her any good!

Booya hooyah and stuffs.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5