• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

We are in the midst of math.

I yelled, then retreated to you all and my covers. He is now contrite and sitting by me, working the problems out on paper as I requested from the get go (he was mixing things up in his head).

Because mother knows best.

#getwiththeprogram

#bettertolearnthesethingsearlyinlife

• Like 4

Despite having Hispanic last names and occupation by the Spanish, Filipinos are not classified as Hispanic.  But that doesn't stop the telemarketers from calling us in Spanish or sending us Spanish junk mail including a Spanish language women's magazine.  But then we get the Filipino telemarketers who spout off to me in Tagalog (which I don't speak) offering me new and exciting ways to send money back to the Philippines.  

It depends. On some forms, you can classify yourself as "Hispanic, Other" or "Hispanic" and not specify. Some people do. So we have some Filipinos who are Asian and some who are Asian and Hispanic and some who check Pacific Islander, other and write in Filipino.

I fully support this practice and wish more power to the Filipinos of the world (and the Turks who classify themselves as White, Turkish and Asian, Turkish).

And depending on who is entering the data, your "other" fill-in could be marked as any number of things.

I must show up as white somewhere because of all my wonky answers, so people offer me ways to invest in home security systems. Because apparently that's what white people do.

• Like 2

It depends. On some forms, you can classify yourself as "Hispanic, Other" or "Hispanic" and not specify. Some people do. So we have some Filipinos who are Asian and some who are Asian and Hispanic and some who check Pacific Islander, other and write in Filipino.

I fully support this practice and wish more power to the Filipinos of the world (and the Turks who classify themselves as White, Turkish and Asian, Turkish).

And depending on who is entering the data, your "other" fill-in could be marked as any number of things.

I must show up as white somewhere because of all my wonky answers, so people offer me ways to invest in home security systems. Because apparently that's what white people do.

Ahem.

Page 500 is reserved for celebrating.

• Like 3

I'd be celebrating if Jean got her BOOYAH.

#happyforslache

#saddayforh

Renai missed the party.

Change that to:

Renai came late to the party. We're just getting started.

See what you miss with that whole "gainful employment" thing?

Don't be silly, ikslo. The ITT is a non-stop party!

Edited to say: Disregard. Prior post edited my post into irrelevance.

Likety likety like.

• Like 5

Wow, that's odd. Ours you get two races and one ethnicity. This means that if one parent is Native / White and the other black and the native/white parent is also Spanish speaking, you can be black, white, Indian, Latina.

But then when I report you to the national science foundation you suddenly become "mixed, underrepresented minority". The NSF needs aggregates due to privacy concerns so they can't allow double counting.

The online database only has one drop-down box. I've actually said things before that they've subsequently changed. Like, I told them they didn't have a child's language listed and no 'other.' They asked for the child's language and added it. I could see if they can add more options. I have another student in my class that is Black Hispanic. CHild's mom is from Columbia. The office listed the student as black non-hispanic. But, he's very much hispanic (completely bilingual like my child), but labeling as just hispanic doesn't do justice. They'd be two of over 60% of the rest of the student population (hispanic). This is New Mexico, after all. Is it important? I don't know.

Talked to SWB earlier and she is out of state giving a conference on the literature of the Bedouins. She sends her regards.

Ha ha. Not really. She has been so captivated by my description of my exciting life, she popped by today for some introductory poopaerobics. Poor thing; she's all pooped out now.

• Like 5

The online database only has one drop-down box. I've actually said things before that they've subsequently changed. Like, I told them they didn't have a child's language listed and no 'other.' They asked for the child's language and added it. I could see if they can add more options. I have another student in my class that is Black Hispanic. CHild's mom is from Columbia. The office listed the student as black non-hispanic. But, he's very much hispanic (completely bilingual like my child), but labeling as just hispanic doesn't do justice. They'd be two of over 60% of the rest of the student population (hispanic). This is New Mexico, after all. Is it important? I don't know.

Oh ugh.

So they have "Hispanic" as a race? They should have race, and then ethnicity. Hispanics can be any "race". And mind you I just say this from my demographer's hat. In actual fact I am not a fan of the drop-down menus and am working to eliminate it from our statistics and to put in place an alternative coding system.

Still, if you're going to have drop-downs, do it right. Let them choose more than one and have ethnicity (Hispanic/Latina, Jewish (though some would have that as a race, biologically it makes even less sense than the other divisions), and uh... that's about it).

Also, we don't have one for Australian indigenous peoples. Supposedly they are "Other Pacific Islander" but Australia isn't an island!

• Like 1

For Jean and for the Shire!

ETA:

And now to the Y, where Jean is making her Post #25,000 statement for the press (from her treadmill):

"Thank you, thank you very much (read that in Elvis' voice.)"

ETA2:

She also says, "Love that H!"

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 6

Awesome Quackers!

Booya!

This Booyah is dedicated to Jean's most happiest birthday, and to the ever classy Mrs. Ducks.

All together now...

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends...

(Can you hear the ITT marching band? They're playing our song!)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5